Any tips for improving tempo?

Mr_T

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi guys probably the biggest problem with my game is i swing too fast which means i come over the top of the ball which can lead to some pretty embaressing shots that just roll 40 yards, does anyone have any tips on how to make my tempo just smooth and slow? :)

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Take the club back nice and easy, make a deliberate pause at the top. Start down slowly then as the club drops into the slot unwind everything through the ball.

Think of pushing a child on a swing, you wouldnt jerk it down from the top, you would pause at the top of the swing then apply a steady increase of pressure on the way down.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
dont a lot use a name for tempo/timing? 1st name on backswing slight pause then surname on downswing

there is also tourtempo available for iphone/ipod I think Homer has used this so may be able to add some onfo

RobbOnTheRock

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Personally I say tailormade, to control tempo sounding the three syllables.

Tay...lor...made

Tay & lor for the backswing and aim to get the club back to ball by the you say made.

Didn't believe it at first, but what a difference it made, to me!

Cheers
Andy

Jonny

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Practice to music. Just choose something appropriate!

When putting i sometimes use a metronome for tempo as well

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Someone did some research a while back and found that the best strikers of the ball had a tempo of 3:1 (Backswing to downswing) regardless of actual swing speed. Even those like Nick Price, who's swing is over in about 0.03 of a second had the same tempo ratio as Ernie or Freddie who take about 3 days to swing a club. Sometimes I count 1, 2, 3 on the backswing and 4 on the way through.

jeardley

Head Pro
Visit site
Here's one that worked for me.... imagine fly fishing.
when casting back you have to have wait that split second for the hook and line to go all the way back before casting the fly out.
Its a smooth motion not a jerky motion.. so when you swing the club back imagine you have a length of line and hook on the end. wait for it and then start your down swing.

Hope that makes sense

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Agree with all the above, about ratio.. "Er-nie (backswing) Els (downswing) is a good name to use, expecially as his rhythm is so great any way... not a bad player to have in mind.

Another tip, which admittedly is not going to help you on the practice ground this weekend, is to watch good players, ideally in the flesh.

Specifically, take any chance you can to watch pros hit the ball for real by going to a tournament. TV cameras really don't do justice to the way pros swing the club, and rhythm and timing are a massive part of that. When the European Tour swings back round to the UK next year, get yourself along to Wentworth for the PGA in May. At the age of 15 you should be able to get in for tuppence ha'penny! :D

Don't worry about following superstars, but pick someone renowned for a smooth action and tempo... Raphael Jacquelin is a good one. I promise you you'll go back to your home track and swing it like a dream after a day of watching the top players in action.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Personally I say tailormade, to control tempo sounding the three syllables.

Tay...lor...made

I watched RickG play a few months back and I think he uses this method.

During his swing I distinctly heard him say

"Welcome to Camberley Heath golf club, I hope you enjoy your stay and you play well."

:eek::D

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Its not easy to change your tempo. But do you find your practise swings have a slower tempo. Than you hit the ball swing. If you do keep practising everyday with no ball. Try to get that feeling in your head, as this will be more your true tempo. But remember some people have fast or slow natural tempo's. Stop trying to hit the ball, swing though the ball. Try just thinking smooooth as your swing thought. Remember is damn hard work a tempo change. But you WILL get there in the end.

Mr_T

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks guys ill give those tips a try :) I think my backswing is ok but it could be better the problem is definetely on the downswing i try and swing too fast and come over the top of the ball, ill see if the tips help at the range today :)

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I use the tour tempo a lot http://shop.tourtempo.eu/

My pro gave me a burned copy of all the tracks (6 x 27/9 6 x 24/8 and 6 x 21/7) with 27/9 being the slowest and 21/7 the quickest. I still use it with my Ipod and it really helps and I've got a swing touching the sound barrier at times and so it does get it in synch

x2. i use tour tempo. its 10 quid but with tempo's for long and short game its a bargain. you can youtube ''tour tempo'' and have a preview before you buy. i tend not to complete my back swing because i'm so eager to hit the ball and knacker up my shape. tour tempo works a treat