Any relief when old hole is on your line on putting green?

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
My former (pay and play) club used to keep two holes open on every green, so that the green keepers could easily change the flag position from day to day. It was quite a busy course, so this may have been related to footfall and wear and tear around the green, but I don't really know why. I once holed my second shot on a par-5 into the wrong hole for an unofficial albatross. I then had to place the ball next to this hole and putt to the correct one. I three-putted! Grrrl. :(

Last edited:

MarkE

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
At my club, they have recently put 2 drainage holes with covers on a green that's susceptible to flooding and implemented a local rule to cover relief on your putting line. I'm sure in the OP's situation a local rule would be in place to cover it.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
My former (pay and play) club used to keep two holes open on every green, so that the green keepers could easily change the flag position from day to day. It was quite a busy course, so this may have been related to footfall and wear and tear around the green, but I don't really know why. I once holed my second shot on a par-5 into the wrong hole for an unofficial albatross. I then had to place the ball next to this hole and putt to the correct one. I three-putted! Grrrl. :(

Surely only 1 had a flag in?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
At my club, they have recently put 2 drainage holes with covers on a green that's susceptible to flooding and implemented a local rule to cover relief on your putting line. I'm sure in the OP's situation a local rule would be in place to cover it.

There would be no need. The Rules cover it already.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site

Vast majority of courses I played on in NZ had two holes on the greens, great for 36 hole inter club matches as last team out swapped flags for afternoon games :thup:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
My former (pay and play) club used to keep two holes open on every green, so that the green keepers could easily change the flag position from day to day. It was quite a busy course, so this may have been related to footfall and wear and tear around the green, but I don't really know why.

Not unusual on winter greens. Especially re wear and tear.

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

A course in Ashford used to have two holes cut permanently on every green because of heavy traffic, making it easier to switch holes each day. Both were proper holes, with hole liners. The disused hole had a green plastic cover over it to prevent a ball falling into it. No idea on the ruling though.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
A course in Ashford used to have two holes cut permanently on every green because of heavy traffic, making it easier to switch holes each day. Both were proper holes, with hole liners. The disused hole had a green plastic cover over it to prevent a ball falling into it. No idea on the ruling though.

The covered hole is an obstruction. Rule 24-2a applies, and you can take relief from interference to the line of putt.