Any IT / Network Experts About?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Q on last bit.

Why?

@PhilTheFragger is partly right. Secondary to static, line configs work on trying to minimise attenuation. In some cases it can only be controlled so far and errors start. Corrections take place at the far and near ends of the line but once errors reach a certain point the connection becomes less stable.
If you reset your router and "bounce" the line then this resets the error counts and lets you run as if it was a new connection (because technically it is).

This is less, to not, important on fibre to the premises as its copper lines that are the problem.
Many people think that because they are on fibre to the cabinet and their copper line is only a few hundred yards long (as oppose to possibly a Km or more on the copper local loop) that they aren't subject to attenuation. If they are really really lucky they won't be but its all subject to the actual length of the copper (don't assume that even if the cabinet is right outside your house that the line goes directly to your house from there) and also the condition of the copper.
Some of the copper has been in the ground for decades.

So, short answer, bouncing the line effectively 'resets' your connection and clears the errors.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
@PhilTheFragger is partly right. Secondary to static, line configs work on trying to minimise attenuation. In some cases it can only be controlled so far and errors start. Corrections take place at the far and near ends of the line but once errors reach a certain point the connection becomes less stable.
If you reset your router and "bounce" the line then this resets the error counts and lets you run as if it was a new connection (because technically it is).

This is less, to not, important on fibre to the premises as its copper lines that are the problem.
Many people think that because they are on fibre to the cabinet and their copper line is only a few hundred yards long (as oppose to possibly a Km or more on the copper local loop) that they aren't subject to attenuation. If they are really really lucky they won't be but its all subject to the actual length of the copper (don't assume that even if the cabinet is right outside your house that the line goes directly to your house from there) and also the condition of the copper.
Some of the copper has been in the ground for decades.

So, short answer, bouncing the line effectively 'resets' your connection and clears the errors.

I was shaping my answer to Crazy in such a way that a technicality challenged crazy person would be able to comprehend
??

Sorry CF ??

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was shaping my answer to Crazy in such a way that a technicality challenged crazy person would be able to comprehend
??

Sorry CF ??

?? I like to describe it for the technologically challenged as like trying to force 20 gallons a second through a hose that can only handle 5 gallons per second. Something has to give.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Could you not run a long cat 5 cable from the router to your laptop (if it has the port)?
I imagine the performance achieved would be miles better than your wifi connection

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Could you not run a long cat 5 cable from the router to your laptop (if it has the port)?
I imagine the performance achieved would be miles better than your wifi connection
It's too far to bother with all that, router sits at the very front of the house and I'm out back in the conservatory, so would have to run cables all the way down the lounge and through the kitchen to get there.

I do have a powerline adaptor that I have plugged into the PS4, so the connection is more stable for online gaming and streaming TV through it. I can switch that cable to the laptop when the Wifi is playing up.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
With my previous BT router, there was the facility to set auto switch off/on at a set time. My latest Smart Hub 2 does not now have this and apparently BT do not recommend that you switch off/on too often.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's too far to bother with all that, router sits at the very front of the house and I'm out back in the conservatory, so would have to run cables all the way down the lounge and through the kitchen to get there.

I do have a powerline adaptor that I have plugged into the PS4, so the connection is more stable for online gaming and streaming TV through it. I can switch that cable to the laptop when the Wifi is playing up.
You can get various lengths in any colour. Just an idea as it would be quicker and more stable than your wifi con, if you're laptop has the neccessary port to take it.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm still like in this thread so will ask an associated supplementary...

Why would my laptop fail to connect to the internet via my MiL's brand new BT Superfast Broadband router when it seems to connect to the router itself but I don't get any internet connection - and every other device we have their (iPad, other laptop, phones) connects perfectly.

I would like to be able to work from MiL's house - but I need internet connectivity. Can't go all the way there to find I still can't connect - and the mobile signal isn't strong enough to make my phone a viable hotspot.