Any electricians out there.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The four core cable, as coloured, is used when a light can be controlled from two switches eg upstairs and downstairs switches for a landing light. The normal practice used to be to add red coloured tape to show that the yellow was actually a live wire.

Used in this situation sounds a bit odd to me, sounds a bit like it was the only cable the guy had.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Newer outside light fittings are sealed units and only have a live neutral and earth supply, no way to loop a switched feed.. You need install a separate sensor or change the other 3 lights to sensor lights then connect the yellow to the permanent feed.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1740

I got an electric shock the other day, it certainly woke me up 😀

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I use TLC They sell security lights with built in PIR that can switch other lights. I have bought LED ones and although I haven't done so they can switch a few extra lights each, and the spec sheet is available to view before you buy so you can see if it does and how to wire.:)

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
The lights stayed on because you put the yellow cable in with the constantly "live" red wire, the yellow wire should only be live when the pir is triggered.
From the sounds of it you're right, what you bought doesn't have the ability to switch other lights lol.

Did you go to the Screwfix (think it's new) near the brand new Greggs at Mansfield Woodhouse?

It was the screwfix near greggs, I didn't call in. Took the light back there this afternoon. It was actually a very good light. But hey ho. After a trip to B and Q to look at the Rammel they sell I called back to FCC an electrical whole salers opposite screwfix. Had a good natter with an ex sparky who showed me a PIR which will turn on the three lights, but you have to couple a seperate security light into the PIR. Which seems a faff about but is a sloppy seconds option.
Having a look at TLC, and failing that Missis Ts Bessie pal works for an electrical installation company and has loads of Grattons and freeman's catalogs full of electrical stuff.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I use TLC They sell security lights with built in PIR that can switch other lights. I have bought LED ones and although I haven't done so they can switch a few extra lights each, and the spec sheet is available to view before you buy so you can see if it does and how to wire.:)

Just had a look at this (Timeguard ECO LED Floodlights) on the TLC site. It looks like it could do the business.