Any clubs closed ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Our pro has posted a short video of him playing our first showing how we should play in accordance with all precautions.

We’ve turned the cups in the holes upside down - so holed ball only sits half in the hole and easily picked out without touching flag or hole. If the ball hits the flag and bounces out it’s deemed holed. In bunkers tidy mess with shoe or club and if ball in difficult position that would mean making a real mess taking a stance then just put it in the clear in the bunker - treat position as if it was as gur. It doesn’t really matter. And person marking card signs it for you after checking score with you. Again it really doesn’t matter that I don’t actually sign it.

And our roll up fourballs have been drawn and we know our tee off time. We are to turn up 5-10mins before the off. I’m at back end of field - off at 11:18 is I’ll get to the tee by 11:10

Its a lovely sunny morning. I will play today giving thanks that I am able to - and if I cannot chat that easily with my mates then that is as it is - I have the glory of nature to soak up as I walk round. Many, many are not so fortunate as I.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Message from our club directors is heartening.

If government lockdown means we cannot play at all and lose 1-4 months of golf then the pro rata value of that golf will be split between club and member and membership renewal for two years will be reduced accordingly. So 4 months golf for me costs say £550. I’ll get £275 back against my subs split over two years. Also for any member who pays monthly and loses job, the club will allow member to suspend monthly payments and move to social membership.

Good that my club is really looking carefully and sympathetically at what this means for all the members - a value of us being in a members club in circumstances that none of us could ever have imagined.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My club closed down everything last night. Not sure why ... I can understand them closing the pool, gym and bar, but why the course? The Government Chief Medical Officer has said it is good to get out provided you keep your distance ... so what better than golf. Members can book online, so no human interface needed. A nearby club has closed everything except the course.

Springveldt

Visit site
Played this morning. Cups upside down with the flag in didn’t fill me with confidence, missed 3 shorts putts. It was like I was trying to miss the flag or expecting the ball to bonce out.
1 rake per group that had been sanitised and only 1 member holds it. Throw it in a pile outside the pro shop at the end to get sanitised again.
Each player marks own card and cards posted into a box in the pro shop, wouldn’t fancy the job of totting up the scores.
Caterers offering take away at the back door, when I passed there was a group of 10 all huddled around the table waiting on the sauce. ?
I rolled up 7 minutes before tee off and then just said “thanks for the game” to the lads, then straight back to the car. Even wore my shoes driving over and back (spikeless ones).

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
You folks seem to still be playing.
Our club is closed indefinitely.
I'm only allowed to go outdoors to walk the dog, and only then after a stern warning from my wife about "social distancing."
Out supermarket is open three days a week from 5 AM to 7AM just for seniors to limit their exposure, and my wife goes then, believing herself to be a lower risk than I.

I suppose that I should learn to appreciate all of this over-protection.
I've never in my life been made to feel this valuable!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
All courses should be shut, all I've seen on Facebook from people golfing is groups of 4 or (sometimes more) people standing in close proximity to each other.

Very irresponsible behaviour. Goes against all health advice.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I'm only allowed to go outdoors to walk the dog, and only then after a stern warning from my wife about "social distancing."
Out supermarket is open three days a week from 5 AM to 7AM just for seniors to limit their exposure, and my wife goes then, believing herself to be a lower risk than I.

Take care Boomer
We're not on total lockdown yet.
More social distancing (2metres) if you haven't got symptoms but 7 or 14 days isolation if you have.
Clubhouses closed but courses open...for now.
Restaurants and pubs etc all closed now.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
All courses should be shut, all I've seen on Facebook from people golfing is groups of 4 or (sometimes more) people standing in close proximity to each other.

Very irresponsible behaviour. Goes against all health advice.
They're closer in the shops..do we close them too?
People need to think and keep their distance

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Take care Boomer
We're not on total lockdown yet.
More social distancing (2metres) if you haven't got symptoms but 7 or 14 days isolation if you have.
Clubhouses closed but courses open...for now.
Restaurants and pubs etc all closed now.

Thanks, Imurg. You take care too. Same for all of my new friends at GM.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've played 4 times this week, 3 by myself and once with 1 mate. No issue for me to keep playing at the moment and will continue to do so until the course is closed or I exhibit any symptoms.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I've played 4 times this week, 3 by myself and once with 1 mate. No issue for me to keep playing at the moment and will continue to do so until the course is closed or I exhibit any symptoms.

You may not exhibit any symptoms but pass them on.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Getting a freebie is fairly simple on most courses if you were so inclined. Most have more than one way on / starting point.
You're right , 3 of us caught 2 teenagers casually waiting to tee off of at our 2nd hole, they were very polite and said we won't hold you guys up.
I said I know you wont, it's the senior open today and you're not allowed on the course, even if you were a member, bye.

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Received Email Yesterday that club would be closing last night for food,drink and functions as from last night until further notice subject to more info from SGU/HolyRood.
Was advised that locker rooms open today if bags/clubs/clothes etc. needed to be taken for use on course /possible cleaning(maybe much needed in some cases)!
So had a 'donner up today for some gear----isn't it amazing how much stuff you can cram into your lockers,and don't remember half of it?thank goodness the course and the shop are open(course is in great condition considering the monsoons we've been having up here)
Hope everyone is in good fettle.
Jimbo

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site

Like the valuable line!

I think it may be partly that carts/buggies are very much in the minority here.
Not sure how long they will continue to stay open though.