Anti digging dog fence

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
We're in three process of buying a new house, and it has an enclosed garden with a wooden fence.
We want to make sure the dog doesn't get out under the fence by digging so I am looking for the best way to stop the dog from digging underneath. I've seen a few different products advertised for doing this, but am curious as to whether anyone on here has done something similar and his they did it.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
We're in three process of buying a new house, and it has an enclosed garden with a wooden fence.
We want to make sure the dog doesn't get out under the fence by digging so I am looking for the best way to stop the dog from digging underneath. I've seen a few different products advertised for doing this, but am curious as to whether anyone on here has done something similar and his they did it.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

What makes you think that tunnelling will be his speciality?

Maybe he will steal a plane or perhaps be able to row a boat across a lake or get on a push bike and cycle his way to freedom?

Or are you planning to give him a baseball glove and a ball to play with while he is entrapped in the garden?

Seriously though...I cant advise on anti-tunnelling defences (other than making sure your spades are locked away) but my Labrador has an uncanny ability to find weak points in the fence and just barge his way through!!!...so the suggestion of some chicken wire mesh up to a level of two or three feet could be a good idea!!

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
How big is the garden?

I'd be tempted to get a decent ground anchor and long line attached to it. A good 8-12m if necessary. Clip him on as you go outside and unclip on the way back in. Lots of games and play time to ensure you're the most exciting thing, however exciting the hedges and fences smell.

Yes, it means outside time is unsupervised, for a good while. But in the long run it will help with recall and just general being!

All of the above is given with the view not least that I wouldn't want to be digging 2-3ft down under a fence post. Let alone under the 56m fencing I have in my small garden!

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Let him watch the Great Escape or Chicken Run :ROFLMAO:.
I have a similar problem with snails burrowing under my artificial grass to lay their eggs, leaving a deep indentation :eek:.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Looking at it another way, we have chickens and need to stop Reynard The Fox burrowing in

Chicken wire a foot deep combined with loose laid slabs around the outside have worked well.

Does the hound Whistle the theme to “The Great Escape”
?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
^^^^^
Wasn't my idea :giggle:

I actually (mis)read the post title way too fast and wondered if any type of fence would stop people doing this :eek:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Would concrete gravel boards not be sufficient? When we changed our fence we used concrete posts and counter sunk at least one full board (two in some areas) so tgst we could level the garden

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
We have a regular cocker spaniel and there are two parts of our garden where she tries digging a hole under the fence. She gets so far but then the ground gets hard and the progress stalls. We just push the soil back, compact it, and then the game starts again. Dogs like to dig, it's what they do.

Some good suggestions above.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Or........
Build a box, a big box and fill it full of sand/dirt and bury some treats in it.
That way the dog will still dig but only where you want it to dig

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Thanks all. We can't say for certain that he will dig, but we'd rather put something in place in advance so that he doesn't, and he can walk freely around the garden without being roped down. The fence is already in place with no concrete base, so we can't go with that option. I think chicken wire, probably plastic coated, is the best way forward.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To keep a certain type of stripy white animal out of my garden I have old paving slabs buried vertically in the areas where the paths do not go right up to the fence line.