Another Swing Video :)

Mattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi

I know I love lookingat other peoples swings on here so heres another of mine, with an actual ball this time...

7i Swing

Any comments appreciated. Im thinking is it a little too fast or uncrontrolled?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hi. Your grip is not good, your hands seem to working against each other, you should try and get your palms facing in the same direction. You are swinging too much with your arms and have poor connection between your arms, shoulders and lower body, you need to work on taking the club back with your arms and shoulders together then start the downswing with your lower body. You are keeping your trail foot on the ground too long and not kicking in your trail knee in the downswing, this is creating a poor weight transfer and little hip rotation. Your arms are breaking down in the downswing and chicken winging which will be creating poor impact and bringing inconsistency to your shots. Sorry for sounding a little critical but I think you need some coaching to clear up these issues.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm a lefty to. But it does seem strange watching a lefty swing lol. Not a bad swing there mate. Just slow down a tad and shorten the followthrough to match the backswing. Should give more control, if as you say it feels out of control. Remember no need to knock the skin off it. That use to be my fault. I slowed right down, hit it cleaner and further. Mind you I only use a 1/2 to 3/4 swing on the shorter irons.

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
that looks likes like a pretty good swing to me.
though im no luke donald, just like looking at swings on here to

what's your typical shot?

maybe your hips need to be doing a bit more earlier in your downswing

the best thing i've been taught by a pro recentley is to mimic the desired impact position at address.
getting the right elbow (in your case left) tucked in, and having the hips turned out he way as much as possible (with both feet still flat)

this really helped my lower body movement and much improved the quality of my strike

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi Mattie, What are your strengths and weaknesses?
And if you do hit a bad one, is it caused by a poor contact or poor direction?

Pretty good swing by the way, I've seen a lot worse :)

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi. Your grip is not good, your hands seem to working against each other, you should try and get your palms facing in the same direction.

I dont think I will bother listening to your advice

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Not a bad swing at all.

The only thing I would change would be your arm speed to your finish. I'd suggest slowing it down a touch as I can imagine if you gave it a lash your arm speed into the finish may un-balance you.

Very minor change though.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm not qualified to comment on this, and I certainly don't regard my self as an expert.

I just wanted to do this :D :D :D at the thought of playing with your palms facing the same way.

is that at all even possible?

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm not qualified to comment on this, and I certainly don't regard my self as an expert.

I just wanted to do this :D :D :D at the thought of playing with your palms facing the same way.

is that at all even possible?

Thats what I thought!

Mattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi all

Thanks for all the comments, very cool :)

I do agree that maybe my left hand is slightly strong/weak (?)but to be honest I do seem to hit the ball pretty well and straight. Ive played about with grip quite a lot and this position seems to work for me.

Bob, my bad shot would be a slight fade which I think is direction/timing as opposed to contact. Strengths would be that I do hit it pretty far and even thouh ive only been playing 2 years the golf society at work have put me down to h/c of 12 which im quite proud of.
Be down to 9 if I win this fridays match!!

The follow through is something new I have been trying to really extend my left arm through impact, probably a bit too much but ill start to calm that down.

Definitely gonna have some lessons over winter, thanks all thats great feedback, looks like im going in the right direction. I am really pleased :)

Thanks
Mattie

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Looks a decent swing to me and I don't agree with the in depth fault finding near the top of the thread.

One clear item is ball position. If that's a 7i, that's too far forward. Bring it back one inch...:)

Mattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yeah, I agree :)

And yes it is a 7i but all my clubs are an inch longer so its like a normal 5 iron for most people.

Not sure if that should make any difference? Probably not.
Thanks again for your comments :)

Although it does look a little chicken wingy, ive got arms like Lee Westwood, thay have a natural kink and just wont go straight :(

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
One other thing, you do seem to be facing the wrong way ;) ;) ;)

There doesn't seem to be too much wrong with it to me. The more you get caught up worrying/thinking about this that and the next thug is when the problems start.

Mattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
lol ...yeah yeah :) hehe

i actually find it easier to learn to watch right handers as its the mirror image.

Your right though, there must come a point when you have to say sod it thats as good as i can get, lets just play!