Another sky tv thread

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Cancelled our Sky last November, thought that paying £87.50 a month was to much. Anyway when we got back from our jols, we had a letter from Sky about coming back. After a day of finding the right people to talk to the bottom line is we now have All the sky sports channels with a Variety bundle package for £29.50 pm for the next 12 months. Young lady said on the phone "Ring back next August to renegotiate The next years deal". Now last year we had HD and films but even so the savings are enough to get a new set of shinys at the end of the year. We are also paying £7.00 for BT sports. Tashyboy is a happy bunny at the moment.
So if you are paying top dollar for your Sky, I would be on the phone to renegotiate a new deal. Feel vindicated that we cancelled our sky last year. Think me and a few thousand others that cancelled Sky made them sit up and think.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tashy, we do it every year. Some years the deal is very good, others not so good. It depends on their numbers at that point in the month. This year the deal wasn't good so we went all the way through to cancellations with the intention of going through with it if necessary. Luckily they came back with a good offer.

I think the difference now is that with BT, now tv, Netflix, Amazon etc there are genuine alternatives and Sky are aware of it. That's good news for us the consumer.

The great shame is that loyalty is punished at sky and we really shouldn't have to go through this every year. Too many loyal, likely older, customers will be paying full whack.

Tashyboy

Visit site
This, unfortunately, appears to be the business model of many 'service providers' these days...

Amen to that, Santander want me to stay with them and invest a bit of brass with them. We have an appointment with them in a weeks time. The interest rates in the Yorkshire bank although not brilliant blow Santander away. The woman in Yorkshire bank on Friday said exactly the same " loyalty does not pay". You can put that phrase to utility bills, insurances, phones, banks nigh on anything.

What Suprised me LT was last year we tried to renegotiate with Sky and they were just not interested. I could of got a deal if I changed Internet to Sky but hey ho.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Insurance companies do it every year. My cab insurance went up by over £300 this year, despite me not having so much as a chip repair. Phoned round and got it for nearly half the price. When I phoned to tell them the good news I got the usual 'let me see if we can beat that' line, no thanks, maybe if you'd given me your best price in the first place instead of trying to shaft me I would still be your customer.:angry:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Insurance companies do it every year. My cab insurance went up by over £300 this year, despite me not having so much as a chip repair. Phoned round and got it for nearly half the price. When I phoned to tell them the good news I got the usual 'let me see if we can beat that' line, no thanks, maybe if you'd given me your best price in the first place instead of trying to shaft me I would still be your customer.:angry:
:clap:
That's precisely the attitude EVERYONE should take! That way, their focus would change to 'being competitive' to giving their Customers their best service!

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
These are businesses not charities

If people are too lazy to shop around or negotiate contract renewals I have no pity for them getting ripped off.

I get my services subsidised by people paying higher rates, same for my interest free credit cards and free perks with other cards.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are you happy that many old people are too intimidated to ring and ask for a fair price that their loyalty deserves? I'm sorry but that attitude is awful, real 'I'm alright Jack'. Totally selfish.

Any decent business looks after their loyal customers, they don't shaft them.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I believe Vodafone offer cheaper BB rates if you are an existing customer than they do to new non Vodafone customers. Which is a start.

I am in discussions with BT as they are charging me an absolute fortune for 4MB at best. You can get Sky's top package of 87 odd Meg for less if you are a new customer to Sky. As others have said, it is a well known business model of all these types to try and get as much as they can out of existing customers to subsidise the offers to draw new customers in. What they seem to try and do now is get you in as longer term contract as they can and put on extortionate exit clauses. I was effectively tricked into mine with a promise of a new wizzy hub that will be 'so much more effective'. And in reality it has made chuff all difference.

Tashyboy

Visit site
These are businesses not charities

If people are too lazy to shop around or negotiate contract renewals I have no pity for them getting ripped off.

I get my services subsidised by people paying higher rates, same for my interest free credit cards and free perks with other cards.

These businesses themselves are to lazy to give a competitive price which is why customers leave and in some instances they don't and won't return. I am with LT on this one re the elderly. Fed up to the back teeth of seeing my parents being shafted by companies trying to rip them off and it has nothing to do with them being lazy. Oh ah it's not just confined to the private sector. Don't get me started on Her majesty's Tax people. She should get off her spotty and give um all a bollockin.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The old people discussion, vulnerable when it suits...

but when it comes to politics and shafting the young they are perfectly capable

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This, unfortunately, appears to be the business model of many 'service providers' these days...

I hate that.

Last year I had a total rant at my insurers.
It seemed have worked as this year, after one phone, call they gave me a better deal than previous.
I think they must have put an * after my account number now.

Ps
I am uncomfortable about shafting our younger generation.

Last edited:

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
I hate that.

Last year I had a total rant at my insurers.
It seemed have worked as this year, after one phone, call they gave me a better deal than previous.
I think they must have put an * after my account number now.

There's the thing there ought not be a need for a strop if businesses applied old fashioned values such as loyalty...

I blame the move to everything being online or having to talk to someone in a far off land who has yet to grasp English properly... It's depersonalised what good service should be about...

And, where the flip does 'shafting' the younger generation fit into this????

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Just signed on to Sky customer portal. When you go to cancel my subscription or cancel channels it just gives round and round with no actual button to cancel.

great.

Ring up....long wait they say

Try online messaging ..no answer there either

Cancelling did now

Last edited:

Tashyboy

Visit site
The old people discussion, vulnerable when it suits...

but when it comes to politics and shafting the young they are perfectly capable

An example of the old shafting the young when it's comes to brass. Now this I am waiting to see.

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yep same everywhere unfortunately, loyal customers get bumped while all the attention is focused on getting new ones.
Golf clubs are the same, Iv complained numerous times at our place about practice facilities being abused, locker rooms closing to early, nothing being done about people not turning up for competitions and not phoning to cancel. Nothing done. Yet every week there's a new email out about trying to attract new members by doing this that and th next thing, it's all out manager is interested in, getting new members while he doesn't realise that the vast majority of people don't have the stomach for confrontation, they just simp,y leave and go elsewhere.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Car insurance renewal came in, it had gone up a couple of hundred quid for me and a little more for wor lass, phoned around and got a quote for the two of us at what it was going to cost me alone, go figure that one, told my existing insurer and they okay can't beat that.

Never done Sky for a long time, been with Virgin for 17yrs, just called them to reduce the monthly bill, they lets see what we can do, they managed to reduce the bill by £40 and give us Sky Movies HD which we didn't have before, they also changed our old V+ boxes for Tivo boxes and gave us unlimited phone calls. So it was a win win win.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yep same everywhere unfortunately, loyal customers get bumped while all the attention is focused on getting new ones.
Golf clubs are the same, Iv complained numerous times at our place about practice facilities being abused, locker rooms closing to early, nothing being done about people not turning up for competitions and not phoning to cancel. Nothing done. Yet every week there's a new email out about trying to attract new members by doing this that and th next thing, it's all out manager is interested in, getting new members while he doesn't realise that the vast majority of people don't have the stomach for confrontation, they just simp,y leave and go elsewhere.

This is an interesting point. Something similar is happening at our place, we are owned by a person / company, not the members. The current owner is new this year and he is entirely neglecting the members. A number are already talking about leaving next year and he is entirely oblivious to it. He doesn't engage the members, doesn't attend committee meetings and so is unaware of the unhappiness. He is too busy looking at getting new members, like your bloke. You need to look after both, not hard to grasp is it?