Another proud dad thread

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
A couple of weeks ago I had to call in the golf shop, I had my 10 year old stepson with me so thought I need to be quick and just get what I need not walk round drooling over all the new shiny stuff. He has never touched a golf club in his life let alone gone into a shop, but his eyes lit up at all the bright colorful clothing and the shiny new golf clubs everywhere.

He was looking at the hitting bays and said he wanted to have a go. I was a bit unsure about letting a 10 year old who's never touched a golf club in his life start swinging in the fitting bays, but let him anyway. I spoke to the club fitter and explained he's never played before but wants to try hitting a ball. We got him fitted with to a size 1 7i, showed him how to grip it and a rough idea of how to swing it.

To my shock, he hit it :eek: although not very well he still made contact and it went straight. So he was allowed to mess around for 10 minutes and he didn't do too bad and was getting better with every shot. He asked me to take him to the range next I go, so I got him a Driver and a 9i to take with him to use.

I took him to the range and he was hitting the ball really well. He actually got hold of 1 drive and put it out to the 100 yard marker which caught not just me by surprise, but the bloke in the bay next to me too. It was nice to see someone just swinging the club and not really caring where it went.

This video is of his first few shots on the range. No laughing at the fact my driver is bigger than he is and he could hide inside my bag. Poor little mite is very small for 10 being 4'3. I think I need to find a good junior coach and get him some lessons.

http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/a...6-482E-BCD2-C40682266B59_zps7qczdnii.mp4.html

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thought you would let him tee it up Adey. I thought I recognised that backswing.:whistle:

Get those lessons booked.

Tee it up with a 9i? Never seen a ball on a tee peg in the middle of a fairway. My attitude is if he can learn to hit it from a bare bonehard range mat, then he will have no problems from a nice green lush fairway.................;)

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Tee it up with a 9i? Never seen a ball on a tee peg in the middle of a fairway. My attitude is if he can learn to hit it from a bare bonehard range mat, then he will have no problems from a nice green lush fairway.................;)
You are a hard man. What about the par 3's ?:)

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
If he wants a few lessons then great but he may just want to hit it and do it his way (yes I recognise the irony in this post).

:rofl:

It it does make me wonder sometimes if lessons are really worth it. Too many coaches are stuck on the idealistic golf swing, which doesn't always work for people. I'm probably going to see how he gets on and take it from there. At the end of the day Bubba is self taught.

D

Deleted member 15344

:rofl:

It it does make me wonder sometimes if lessons are really worth it. Too many coaches are stuck on the idealistic golf swing, which doesn't always work for people. I'm probably going to see how he gets on and take it from there. At the end of the day Bubba is self taught.

I've never had a lesson in my life - right now just let him enjoy it without the need for lessons

D

Deleted member 16999

I've never had a lesson in my life - right now just let him enjoy it without the need for lessons
You only took the game up in 2009 as an adult and you played hockey to a high standard, probably got very good hand to eye co-ordination.
I would say it's brilliant that his lad wants to learn and should be encouraged in every way, there's a lot of forward thinking young coaches out there that can make it fun to learn.
Whichever ever way his Dad takes him, good on him⛳️

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site

Thats the key with a young kid. If you start taking the fun away he will be back playing Call of duty on his Xbox. He seems to understand what I'm telling him and is doing some good things like, gripping it properly and swinging it back nice and high, not wrapping it round his body like a baseball bat. Going again Tuesday so see what happens then.