Another Grip Question

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've seen a few threads on here over the last few day regarding how people grip the club and have a question..... Specifically about the right hand placement.

When gripping the club with the right hand, the club is held in the fingers, like the left hand.

Does it matter whether the club is held towards the tips of the fingers or the base of the fingers/hand?

Just looking for a little clarification :thup:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I've seen a few threads on here over the last few day regarding how people grip the club and have a question..... Specifically about the right hand placement.

When gripping the club with the right hand, the club is held in the fingers, like the left hand.

Does it matter whether the club is held towards the tips of the fingers or the base of the fingers/hand?

Just looking for a little clarification :thup:

Ben Hogan stated that his right hand was a 'finger grip' and his left hand was a 'hand grip'. Also that he'd tried 'every' grip (including cack-handed - as he was left-handed) before ending up with his final one.

Notice that it's described as a 'finger grip' or a 'hand grip' not 'held by the fingers' or 'held in the hand'. Subtle but important difference!

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Ben Hogan stated that his right hand was a 'finger grip' and his left hand was a 'hand grip'. Also that he'd tried 'every' grip (including cack-handed - as he was left-handed) before ending up with his final one.

Notice that it's described as a 'finger grip' or a 'hand grip' not 'held by the fingers' or 'held in the hand'. Subtle but important difference!

Well, I hold the grip (left hand) diagonally across my fingers, then wrap my hand over so the butt of the grip is just above the fleshy pad bottom right of my hand.

It's the right hand I'm looking for clarification on. When placing the right hand on the grip, should you hold it towards the tips or base of your fingers?

Does it even matter?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I only really use the 2 middle fingers on my right hand. My pinky is over the top of my left hand ie Vardon grip, then the club sits on the first joint away from my palm on the 2 middle fingers and the index finger just hooks on for somewhere to go, but doesn't grip at all.

I like to feel that my left hand does most of the work in my swing and the right just stabilises the club.

Slicer30

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I only really use the 2 middle fingers on my right hand. My pinky is over the top of my left hand ie Vardon grip, then the club sits on the first joint away from my palm on the 2 middle fingers and the index finger just hooks on for somewhere to go, but doesn't grip at all.

I like to feel that my left hand does most of the work in my swing and the right just stabilises the club.

Thats exactly what I do also - I sometimes even do a practice swing with my right thumb and index finger extended to make sure I am not gripping with them