Annual end of term report

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date
D

Deleted Member 1156

So it's pretty much end of the season now, time for your skool report.

My season......started at 5, went up to 6 in the medal a couple of weeks ago but if the CSS is kind to me from Saturday then I'll be back down to 5 for the winter.

Won the West Hill mixed foursomes, 2nd in the Parkstone invitational 4BBB and qualified in the top 16 on Saturday for a club major winter KO competition.

Courses wise, got a trip to Ireland in a couple of weeks where I'm playing 5 rounds and will have played 13 new courses this year and got my total number of top 100 tracks up to 78.

So after a slow start and a decent end to the season I will give myself a B-

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Started at 17.6 and currently at 15.4- hit a low of 14.7 but have struggled the last month due to a swing change which should stop my thins when I get it right, which I am seeing an improvement on.

Played a few more courses but was hoping to play more opens this year.

I say i'd give myself a B. I was hoping to get down to 14 but had set myself a season goal of 15.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Started on 5.7 and gone up to 6.9. Only on cut, 0.2. Very happy with my game, especially driving and long irons. Unfortunately there's been too many occasions where I've turned a bogey into a double or worse. Probably lost more balls this year than I have done for years.

Perhaps not played as much as I would like, probably 20 rounds.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
B+. Started on 8.1 finished on 6.9. Found a new driver I really like after a couple of years of searching :eek:
Won nothing as an individual but we won a team season long Foresomes league.
I’ve not played enough away days, but the ones I have were pretty good.
Need to work on my ball striking & make time for things like HFH.

D

Deleted member 1147

Handicap down from 5.2 to 4.3 which should suggest a good year. But I'm not overly happy.
The cut came from 2 level par rounds which each earned 0.6 cuts.
Too often this year I turned a good front 9, quite often level or under par, into buffers rather than cuts. Admittedly the back 9 is harder but I should have had a load of 0.2 or 0.3 cuts this season, but turned them into handicap or buffer instead.
I need to look into why - course management, fatigue, changing attitude due to current position (protecting rather than attacking?) etc

A very frustrating year.

But I have had some good experiences:

Played some top courses - Porthcawl, Sunningdale, Hankley, Hollinwell to name a few
A few Pro-ams, including being the 9 hole leader (even better than all the pro's). I was 4 under gross.
Runner up in the club championship, beating several scratch & plus players (lost by 6 to a +4 handicapper) with only 2 of under 150 for the 2 rounds and I won the net club champ's prize.
3 great forum meets meeting more brilliant people.

So all in all 7 out of 10

DCB

Visit site
Only my second year back on the course and it's been a good year. Broke 100 for the first time at a society day outing at Craigielaw. The body may struggle, but the head still knows what type of shots it wants the body to play. By mid August I had managed to bring the swing together and managed to break 90. Here's hoping I can manage to play a bit more next year keep progressing downwards.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Swing changes mean I'm in the best place I've been in years... Although working away all week is really killing my scores as my club has comps EVERY Saturday so virtually all my golf is get home on a Friday night then play a comp next morning... rarely have time to loosen up properly or practice and other commitments mean Sat afternoons and Sundays are not often available for golf... Handicap up 0.9 over the season... but I'll get it back "NEXT YEAR!" (hey, never heard that before)

On the positive side, went to Augusta in April, played St Andrews and Sunningdale - in winning Team in Porthcawl Winter Open .... just back from 2 weeks in Algarve , 9 rounds in 2 weeks and worst score was 31 points....

This Winter, I've got to lose half a stone and do some strengthening work... and will do some damage next season!

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not a club member anymore.
Played 4 times in total
Not watched a minutes golf on TV
Didn't really miss it till recently
C-

Back at the club in the new year
Already have 2 golf trips arranged
Lessons with Phil Archer in the pipeline
A+ next year 😂

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
OK i would have said.

23 comps with well over 3/4 buffer or a cut. Handicap a shot lower.

Won the handicap CC, a Silver Trophy and a medal. Won a few Quid in prize money in friendly comps at Tain.

downside Aug and Sept when the course at its best no comps and was playing well so gone off the boil a bit.

Main positive though is almost solved my driving problems of the last 2 years

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I managed to touch single figures, if only for one week but on that basis i'll give myself an A as it was somewhere I never ever thought I could get to.

In reality though , I've finished 0.1 higher that where I started . I now have hardware that I'm 100% happy with and will use the Winter to bed in my new irons so hopefully can hit the ground running next season with a view to getting back to and staying at Single figures.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Started the year on 8.6, currently 9.1. 2 cuts (0.6 total) 3 buffers and 11 0.1's back

Really havent scored well with a card in my hand but in practice i've hit three sub par rounds including a PB of 3 under 67. Sublime to rediculous is a fine way of describing my game....yesterdays competition round a prime example with 5 birdies, 4 pars, 6 bogies and 3 doubles!!!

Made a subtle change to my grip and how my hands hang at address a few weeks ago and I suddenly seem to be hitting the ball out of the middle a lot more, giving me more height to my shots and more distance. Luckily the season doesn end here in Suffolk and I have qualifiers all through the winter so hopefully can make further progress and drag the handicap back down to where it was at the start of the year.

A decidedly average C

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
as the other thread was more handicap based I can give an end of year report

strike the ball much better now

won a team event in june and two single events in september

good progress

out of past 7 rounds 6 have been under 100

the 6th was 104 I think and it was blowing a gale and I came 3rd in the stapleford event only 3 points off winning so was pleased

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
Started at 3.7, up to 4.2. Been a very inconsistent year again for me. Some flashes of really great golf, but too much wild golf also and i just can't afford that when only having 4 shots to play with.

My best golf has come outside of medals etc. Played some crackers this year though;

Royal St Georges
Hindhead
St George's Hill
Swinley Forest
The Oxfordshire
Royal Worlington

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
as the other thread was more handicap based I can give an end of year report

On this same note...

A year ago I think my best score round 18 holes was 93 or 94, whereas it's now 85.

A year ago I was chopping and changing drivers trying to find one I could hit, whereas now I have one I really like and it's one of the better clubs in my bag.

A year ago I couldn't putt to save my life, but now, I can't putt to save my life.