Annual end of term report

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
On this same note...

A year ago I think my best score round 18 holes was 93 or 94, whereas it's now 85.

A year ago I was chopping and changing drivers trying to find one I could hit, whereas now I have one I really like and it's one of the better clubs in my bag.

A year ago I couldn't putt to save my life, but now, I can't putt to save my life.

year ago my best round was an 87 on a course near me.. but it has a lot of par 3s so its easier than the course down the road that my best score was 98

this year ive hit 95 on the course I hit 98 on so a 3 shot improvement

ive hit a 90 (when I had my best round I think ive played) on a par 72

and ive broken 100 on 16 occasions this year

last year I reckon it was a lot less (without looking)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
A solid C😢
To be fair it was going to be a difficult year, moving from a reasonably straightforward course to a much tougher and longer one was always going to mean a struggle for a while.
Loving playing at The Zoo and I'm starting to get to grips with where to put the ball and how it's going to react on slopes etc.
Hit buffer in then last 2 comps of the season after 4 X 0.1s on the bounce.
It's not a course where driver is the first choice off the tee on most holes - for me anyway.
I probably only use the driver 5 times and even then I don't have to - so the fairway woods are getting a lot more use off the tee.
Par is 73 and I'm still to break 80 in a proper round although I shot 80 last week..
My game disappeared for the H4H games, indeed at Hankley I doubt I've played as badly for years...
But it's back and humming... looking forward to the Spring and hopefully getting back to a more respectable handicap.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There is no end of term where I play comps every week throughout the whole year, joys of living in the West Country.

Up and down year this year for me so far up to 10 twice and back to 9.1 currently with a years start at 8.6.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Would give myself a B, 36 qualifiers drop in handicap of 0.8. Won 3 majors and an area knockout. I have played 45 different course, 12 new to me, including Sandiway, Little Aston, Royal Lytham (twice)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Started on 6.0 finished on 6.0
Turned sixty last week so not to bad.
Played some nice golf but some bad golf as well.
so B+ as I have a major playoff to play due to OP being injured , so if I win will be a good A.

D

Deleted member 3432

Crap, started on 4.1 and finished on 4.2 but I only played 6 rounds of golf all year and just 1 in a comp.

Will be back at Silloth on Solway next season and will be expecting to play more golf but it will be exclusively competition golf as work and young family mean course time is limited.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
My two goals for the year, were firstly to keep my handicap competitive, and to keep it at 10, preferably in the 9.x region. I played enough comps to keep it competitive, I did sneak up to 11 for one round, but a nice cut saw me back to 9.9. Add in the trip to Sunningdale & New Zealand, plus a 72 in a practice round - will give myself a B+.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
8.2 down to 6.6 then upto 6.8. I'm pleased with my season although for a while I fancied getting to six, so i do feel slightly peeved. I played 16 qualifiers in total (most ever) and had 8 x 0.1's , 4 buffers and 4 cuts. Half the rounds were in the 70's (breaking 80 is always a goal) which was my most ever. Whilst I've not threatened any club competitions, a big highlight was taking home the trophy and a few sheckels from the Sunningdale and New Zealand forum trip !  

Course wise , Sunningdale, Hoylake, Hamilton Island, New Zealand and Sandiway the favourites this year. I've probably played more 'opens' than ever with friends from work and also plenty of outings with the NW crew. Local courses that I have enjoyed in social games/opens would include Stockport, Pleasington, Fairhaven, Hesketh, Manchester, Mere, SAOL, Bramhall Park, Huyton & Prescot, Warrington and also Bolton Old Links. All were in fantastic condition, as was my home club Lymm. Safe to say i've really enjoyed the season................ Here's hoping for a mild Winter !!!  

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
A C for me. Handicap has remained at 14.0 from the same starting point on 1st January. The ball striking has improved and will only get better ongoing with the work I'm doing after my lesson with Paul Foston. Pitching and sand play much better now and still going forward. Putting, especially holing out from 2-3 good.

On the downside, too many car crash holes from nowhere. Mind not always on the job or thinking about the right things Not enough GIR's.

A win and a second so can't be seen to negatively but not where I want to be in terms of handicap but feel the game is better than this indicates and a lot of positives and strengths to build on over the winter. A few new courses played, met some great new people and my youtube channel opening up a few interesting possibilities for 2018. The future is decided glass half full

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Down from 13 to 12 (11.6 exactly), had an awful first 2/3 of the season, couldn't hit an iron to save myself but it clicked for a few rounds towards the end which is where my cuts came about. Two 2nd place finishes (both on countback) a 3rd and a win in a 4BBB open at Burgham so not too bad in hindsight.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Strange kind of year scorewise. If there was prizes for consistency and top 10 finishes I would be rewarded. That's not really the case. Being a matt kutchar in handicap golf doesn't get its rewards.

Played 21 comps since saint paddy's day. Shot under 30 points 3 times. Two of those was because we walked in due to really poor weather. Once the greens had flooded.

We play mostly stabkeford here and I missed pretty much all the monthly medals due to the way work fell.

Results were..

37-30-nr-nr-38-38-32-32-33-37-37-36-35-69-nr-32-32-34-37-31-33-39

Got to be reasonably happy as I tend not to have complete shockers out on the course. Some of those rounds I had to dig in and shoot a really good back 9 to attempt to make buffer.

Injury ended my season and put me on the sidelines for 7 weeks.

D

Deleted member 15717

some good, some bad...need to improve a few aspects, as normal, but Cat 1 is still the goal!

D

Deleted member 21258

Happy year, played lots, handicap dropped slightly, really enjoyed the golf.

Played loads, in total 19 courses and 4 more to be played. I have been very lucky.

These were Garons, Mile End, Beau Desert, Shifnal, Royal St Georges, Hankley, Toot Hill, Kendal, Grange over sands, New Zealand(thinking about it just walked it:(), Sunningdale old & new, Little Aston, Wolburn Dukes, Duchess & Marquees, Chigwell, Forresters, Maylands and the four to be played this month are Conwy, Henllys, Delamere and Sandiway.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
A good year, up there with 10,11,12 when I played well and went from strength to strength.

13, 14 only had me being cut back to 11 and breaking 70.

Nice to be back up after 15,16 was a dissapointment in relative terms

Sidsidgwick

Assistant Pro
Visit site
First season of playing. Lots of lost balls later and I'm feeling confident going into winter that some areas of my game are at least decent (iron striking and driving) lots of short game woes to work on during the winter months ready for next season to hopefully reduce my handicap.

Played quite a few local courses and am rather hooked to this silly pastime already.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I was 5.2 at the beginning of January got cut to 4 6 in the early medals (next to no rough).
Went up to 5.5 thanks to some windy weather and the rough becoming really tough.

Played 6 away opens and only made buffer in one of them so that cost me half a stroke.

Cut 0.3 in October medal so back to 5.2.

Really enjoyed my golf this year. Highlight was playing Midfield for the first time.