And, we're off.....2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Saints fans I work with are still pee'd off with Koeman going, this news wll not improve their moods. Tottenham wanted him last summer and failed with several bids. Why they want him when they have Dier and Dembele I'm not sure as I don't see him as being any better then either of them.

It gives them depth though. They play a high intensity game and that is tiring work. Throw in the CL and they will need to rotate more. Makes sense for Tottenham.

The fans would have been more hacked off if he had followed Koeman to Everton so at least that is something.

D

Deleted member 18588

Ok ignoring the obvious and just looking at this from a purely financial point of view Vardy turning down Arsenal makes no sense

Vardy’s new offer from Leicester is (if you believe the rags) £100,000 per week (again if you believe the rags) Arsenal supposedly offered him £120,000 per week, the Arsenal offer will have also had some sort of signing fee (usually around 10% of the transfer fee).

Ok you say in your post that Leicester City are a small club that wins titles, you are wrong they are a small club that has won one top flight title in 100+ years, they have been relegated 11 times in that time so it would be easy to argue that they are ten times more likely to get relegated next season than win the title again, this is especially true when you factor in the extra games they will have to play in the champion’s league.

Jamie Vardy is 29 now if he has a poor season next season or gets injured he will be a 30 year old in a small club with a good chance of relegation, I am also making the assumption that the offer from Leicester will have a relegation clause in it which usually halves the offered wage. If Vardy had signed the Arsenal contract he could have guaranteed his earnings for the next 3 years possibly 4, I do not think he can do that at Leicester.

The figures offered to the player are press speculation, nothing more. As for signing on fees they long since ceased to be a percentage of transfer fees and are also often paid to players when signing a new contract with their existing club.

There does appear to be a level of ignorance of the wealth of Leicester City's backers/owners and matching the salary for Vardy would not be a problem to them. As for relegation clauses, in that unlikely event he would move on for another payday.

The problem seems to be that you are looking at this as an Arsenal fan and because you would, understandably, love the opportunity to play for them you assume players think similarly.

They don't and whatever decision Vardy ultimately makes it will not be influenced by the chance to play for a "big club". One of the biggest and most common lies in football is that peddled when a player signs for a new club and after the obligatory photo with the scarf or shirt he comes out with the usual rubbish about "a fantastic opportunity to play for such a big club" etc;

Does anybody believe that said player would take that opportunity if the money wasn't right?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Perhaps Vardy is one of the very (Very) rare breed of footballers who is actually loyal to his current club and contract?

Time will tell, but it's worth bearing in mind.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Pretty sure if Fergy was around and you were in the CL he would fork out £30M for Vardy no sweat.

Utd always used to have 4 decent strikers

That was back in the days when United played a 4-4-2 formation ........................... very rare these days.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't know where you got your info but there is absolutely nothing to stop United joining the race to sign Vardy this summer. In fact if Leicester decide to sell him then they might very well welcome United getting involved. With Arsenal playing in the CL they can trigger the release clause in Vardy's contract (20 million?) which is solely for clubs playing in the CL. If United decided they wanted him they would have to offer more money but there isn't anything to stop them bidding. Who do you think Leicester would sell to if Arsenal offered 20 million and 1 pounds and United offered 40 million?

£20M and CL needed to trigger clause.

"Liverpool are also interested in Vardy – and would be willing to pay wages in excess of £100,000 a week – but, crucially, the release clause in his contract only relates to clubs in the Champions League. Vardy would also be unlikely to leave Leicester, who are also in the Champions League, for a club outside Europe’s elite club competition. "

D

Deleted member 18588

"Liverpool are also interested in Vardy – and would be willing to pay wages in excess of £100,000 a week – but, crucially, the release clause in his contract only relates to clubs in the Champions League. Vardy would also be unlikely to leave Leicester, who are also in the Champions League, for a club outside Europe’s elite club competition. "

Don't understand your point.

The release clause is nothing other than an insurance to the player. There is nothing to prevent Leicester accepting an offer of whatever amount from whatever club and it would then be up to the player to decide if he wanted to move.

If Liverpool, Manchester United or Chelsea offered Leicester a figure that was acceptable to them then the CL status of that club would be irrelevant.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't understand your point.

The release clause is nothing other than an insurance to the player. There is nothing to prevent Leicester accepting an offer of whatever amount from whatever club and it would then be up to the player to decide if he wanted to move.

If Liverpool, Manchester United or Chelsea offered Leicester a figure that was acceptable to them then the CL status of that club would be irrelevant.

Maybe but I didn't read it that way, Leicester are not obliged to listen to offers from a club unless they meet those conditions .

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Ok ignoring the obvious and just looking at this from a purely financial point of view Vardy turning down Arsenal makes no sense

Vardy’s new offer from Leicester is (if you believe the rags) £100,000 per week (again if you believe the rags) Arsenal supposedly offered him £120,000 per week, the Arsenal offer will have also had some sort of signing fee (usually around 10% of the transfer fee).

Ok you say in your post that Leicester City are a small club that wins titles, you are wrong they are a small club that has won one top flight title in 100+ years, they have been relegated 11 times in that time so it would be easy to argue that they are ten times more likely to get relegated next season than win the title again, this is especially true when you factor in the extra games they will have to play in the champion’s league.

Jamie Vardy is 29 now if he has a poor season next season or gets injured he will be a 30 year old in a small club with a good chance of relegation, I am also making the assumption that the offer from Leicester will have a relegation clause in it which usually halves the offered wage. If Vardy had signed the Arsenal contract he could have guaranteed his earnings for the next 3 years possibly 4, I do not think he can do that at Leicester.

You can equally argue that Leicester have won the title at their second attempt since their last promotion from the Championship, a 50% success rate, something Arsenal haven't managed in their last 12, never mind 2, attempts. That's a 0% success rate…….

D

Deleted member 18588

Maybe but I didn't read it that way, Leicester are not obliged to listen to offers from a club unless they meet those conditions .

Of course they are not obliged but if they wish to accept an offer they will.

In that respect nothing has changed in football despite the advent of "release clauses".

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
With Arsenal playing in the CL they can trigger the release clause in Vardy's contract (20 million?) which is solely for clubs playing in the CL. If United decided they wanted him they would have to offer more money but there isn't anything to stop them bidding. Who do you think Leicester would sell to if Arsenal offered 20 million and 1 pounds and United offered 40 million?

"Liverpool are also interested in Vardy – and would be willing to pay wages in excess of £100,000 a week – but, crucially, the release clause in his contract only relates to clubs in the Champions League. "

You've just repeated back exactly what I typed so I don't get your point.

We've both agreed that the release clause only applies to clubs in the CL but there is nothing to stop another club making a higher offer with higher wages. You've already said Vardy should go to Arsenal as it's a bigger club and more money. What if Liverpool or United offer Leicester 40 million and 150k per week. Do you think Leicester will say "no it's ok, we'll sell you to Arsenal for 20 million less as they have triggered the release clause". Surely by your own logic he should go to one of them instead as they are bigger clubs and it's more money.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
You've just repeated back exactly what I typed so I don't get your point.

We've both agreed that the release clause only applies to clubs in the CL but there is nothing to stop another club making a higher offer with higher wages. You've already said Vardy should go to Arsenal as it's a bigger club and more money. What if Liverpool or United offer Leicester 40 million and 150k per week. Do you think Leicester will say "no it's ok, we'll sell you to Arsenal for 20 million less as they have triggered the release clause". Surely by your own logic he should go to one of them instead as they are bigger clubs and it's more money.

That's the agreement with the player, he can go if a club that is in the CL offers more than £20M

Leicester can't then say no you go when you say we can. Once that clause is triggered I would say that Leicester are pretty powerless to do anything.

Vardy signs for £20M and gets a bumper signing on fee so he will be laughing. Somehow I don't think Vardy is the type of guy to show loyalty and compassion so my guess is that he is either genuinely focussed on England or that he is hoping for a bigger better deal either with Arsenal or elsewhere.

Time will tell.

D

Deleted member 18588

That's the agreement with the player, he can go if a club that is in the CL offers more than £20M

Leicester can't then say no you go when you say we can. Once that clause is triggered I would say that Leicester are pretty powerless to do anything.

Vardy signs for £20M and gets a bumper signing on fee so he will be laughing. Somehow I don't think Vardy is the type of guy to show loyalty and compassion so my guess is that he is either genuinely focussed on England or that he is hoping for a bigger better deal either with Arsenal or elsewhere.

Time will tell.

You seem remarkably well informed on the terms of his current contract.

Release clauses are rarely that straight forward, viz ​Suarez to Arsenal.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The Saints fans I work with are still pee'd off with Koeman going, this news wll not improve their moods. Tottenham wanted him last summer and failed with several bids. Why they want him when they have Dier and Dembele I'm not sure as I don't see him as being any better then either of them.

Its a squad game though, especially when in the CL also, so you need 4 very good centre midfielders.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Leicester won't repeat last seasons success and will be out of the CL at the group stage (in my opinion) and so in terms of longer term progression and keeping his profile high, Vardy going to Arsenal makes perfect sense. I think they are perhaps three decent signings away from a side that can really go on and win the PL and if Wenger is spending big this summer this could be their time. Either way he'll play more games at a higher standard

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
In more games you mean 1 CL knockout round? :D
And as a squad player rather than a nailed on starter? At a higher standard? Leicester are champions so that's a higher standard than the rest of the league.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
In more games you mean 1 CL knockout round? :D
And as a squad player rather than a nailed on starter? At a higher standard? Leicester are champions so that's a higher standard than the rest of the league.

I disagree. Leicester are champions but won't repeat it and Arsenal will usually at least be competitive in the PL race (well until Easter). Again, it might only be one more CL game but still one more opportunity to perform on a bigger stage than he'll get at Leicester once they go out, and for Vardy that's what it's about in terms of keeping a regular England spot. Not sure he'll be that much of a squad player and will get games and goals. I think he'll give them that poacher (inside the six yard box) edge you'll never get from Walcott or Giroud

G.U.R

Head Pro
Visit site
It gives them depth though. They play a high intensity game and that is tiring work. Throw in the CL and they will need to rotate more. Makes sense for Tottenham.

The fans would have been more hacked off if he had followed Koeman to Everton so at least that is something.

It does make sense for Tottenham although Holding midfield and Centre backs are positions you don't want to swap about too much, but for Southampton it makes no sense when they did so much to keep him last year. I guess it comes back to the on going argument about when a so called big club comes calling. He'll go because in the end MONEY talks and it'll be under the guise of improving as a footballer at a better club.

Status
Not open for further replies.