And, we’re off.......2018/2019

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was only half paying attention but that England seemed incredibly boring last night. I'm not sure Delph, Dier, RLC is an attacking enough midfield for that system. Still, it was a lovely goal. Great cross and good finish (*cough*Sterlingwouldhavemissed).

Spain battering Croatia 6-0 is a bit of a mad one. I wonder what that says about us, if anything. We only narrowly lost to Spain. I assume we'll now have to play Croatia again at some point in this daft Nations League thing? Will be nice to get some revenge on them.

D

Deleted member 16999

I was only half paying attention but that England seemed incredibly boring last night. I'm not sure Delph, Dier, RLC is an attacking enough midfield for that system. Still, it was a lovely goal. Great cross and good finish (*cough*Sterlingwouldhavemissed).

Spain battering Croatia 6-0 is a bit of a mad one. I wonder what that says about us, if anything. We only narrowly lost to Spain. I assume we'll now have to play Croatia again at some point in this daft Nations League thing? Will be nice to get some revenge on them.
Next 2 games are away to both in Oct.
Tbf, we have to remember it was a friendly, prior to the WC they meant nothing, but for some reason last night it was giving a bit more importance, regardless of result let’s hope Southgate learnt some stuff.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site

Maybe that'll put an end to the Sterling vs Rashford debate ................................ but I somehow doubt it!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Next 2 games are away to both in Oct.
Tbf, we have to remember it was a friendly, prior to the WC they meant nothing, but for some reason last night it was giving a bit more importance, regardless of result let’s hope Southgate learnt some stuff.
I think people were bigging it up simply because we'd lost three games in a row, although given that two of them were against two of the world's best sides, I'm not sure why it was such an issue. Still, it's good to get the win and halt any potential slide.

Maybe that'll put an end to the Sterling vs Rashford debate ................................ but I somehow doubt it!
Rashford often seems like twice the player for England than he is for United. I think playing as a second striker in more of a free role suits him miles better than being shoved wide left for United. Although it's generally poorer opposition than United typically face to be fair.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

For England, or generally speaking?

If generally - one is playing most weeks, scoring lots of goals and is keeping some very other good players on the bench for his club.

The other is generally on the bench for his club, whilst (arguably) inferior players are ahead of him, although his goalscoring ratio isnt top drawer.

Debate on....

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd take Raheem all day over Rashford personally. Rashford might end up being better but right now I'm not sure he offers more than Sterling. He's gone backwards under Mourinho, Sterling is flourishing under Pep.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thought Rashford lost or gave the ball away to much last night.
But for me a better striker than Sterling.
But he needs more game time , a lot of the players last night don’t play regularly enough for their clubs.
Better second half but boring game.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
For England, or generally speaking?

If generally - one is playing most weeks, scoring lots of goals and is keeping some very other good players on the bench for his club.

The other is generally on the bench for his club, whilst (arguably) inferior players are ahead of him, although his goalscoring ratio isnt top drawer.

Debate on....

For England.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Burnley didn't really like their trip abroad this season though. After all the build up of 'little Burnley' getting into Europe, they played a half strength team and got knocked out at the first hurdle.

This is the issue with lower table teams being in European competitions. The financial pressure to ensure premiership survival will always come first. Hence they will play weakened teams in Europe.
That said, teams with top 4 aspirations will field weaker sides in the Europa league too. Chamions league aside, none of the other European competitions really matter, and often not even for the fans, let alone the clubs.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is the issue with lower table teams being in European competitions. The financial pressure to ensure premiership survival will always come first. Hence they will play weakened teams in Europe.
That said, teams with top 4 aspirations will field weaker sides in the Europa league too. Chamions league aside, none of the other European competitions really matter, and often not even for the fans, let alone the clubs.
Yeah, 100%. That's why adding a third one is pointless. It will be seen as nothing more than a burden to the sides that are in it.