And, we’re off.......2018/2019

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Funny how it is, different eyes have different view point.

I didn’t think Rose v keeper was a red as he was entitled to go the ball. Yellow was fine.

Not sure that was a red at the end. Rose had his studs showing in a potential stamping position, but as he was the one writhing in “agony”, he got the decision.

I thought the Auba pen was a pen as Sanchez was on the wrong side and ”gently” fouled Auba. Went down easily yes, but still a foul.

Overall Arsenal deserved the win and had the chances via Auba and Lacazette.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good game to watch .
But once again the officials are the headline.
Very poor from the Lino. He has been left by a yard by players who only moved two yd’s.
He even has the 18yrd line to help him and still got it wrong.
That’s never a red he quite clearly gets the ball, Rose was the one who was late in the tackle but because he’s down screaming it’s red.
Very poor from ref.
Great end to the game but posh poor penalty under pressure.
Think it was soft as Abaumayang does pull the defenders arm first. 50/50 for me.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You'd think that would be a basic requirement, much like consistency of decisions, if Rose isn't a sending off nor is Torreira.

Officiating like that gives further evidence to why VAR is needed whether fans like it or not.
But the ref on telly PhilWalton thought the ref got everything right so if VAR ref thinks like him it won’t matter.
Only the offside would have been changed!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Only saw the second half as I was out on the course - but that seems to be when the drama was. The officials have had a poor day that's for sure.

Linesman was poor on our goal, how can you not be in line with the defence for a free kick? Kane is offside, but then Mustafi with a brainless shove on him to give the penalty. He is awful, Arsenal need to get rid of him ASAP. Absolute liability.

Arsenal penalty was soft, I do find Sanchez frustrating though. I'm not sure how much contact there was, but there was absolutely no need for Sanchez to try and stick a tackle in from that angle when he has little chance of winning the ball - just get between him and the goal for god sake! No need to stick a foot in there. Gave the ref a decision instead of just standing his ground.

The actual penalty was shocking, tame and near the middle. Vertonghen's block was incredible, until I saw the replay with him two yards inside the box. Surely the linesman should be watching for that? So both linesmen have had a shocker.

I can see why Torreira got the red there. You can say what you like about him playing the ball, but nowadays in football if you slide and you can't prevent your studs from impacting another player's knee, you're deemed to be out of control and endangering his safety, and therefore it's a red card. Rose's one on Leno, I don't know, he's probably a bit lucky there but he didn't look to be as much out of control as Torreira as he's just trying to put the ball in the net. Perfectly willing to admit it could be my Spurs bias on that one though.

All in all it looked like we were poor and lucky to come out with a point. Unfortunately even a point isn't good enough. We needed to win that game, now the chasing pack are too close for comfort when we still have Liverpool and City to play. So not good enough. 1 point from 9 and that could be top four in the bin for us.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Only saw the second half as I was out on the course - but that seems to be when the drama was. The officials have had a poor day that's for sure.

Linesman was poor on our goal, how can you not be in line with the defence for a free kick? Kane is offside, but then Mustafi with a brainless shove on him to give the penalty. He is awful, Arsenal need to get rid of him ASAP. Absolute liability.

Arsenal penalty was soft, I do find Sanchez frustrating though. I'm not sure how much contact there was, but there was absolutely no need for Sanchez to try and stick a tackle in from that angle when he has little chance of winning the ball - just get between him and the goal for god sake! No need to stick a foot in there. Gave the ref a decision instead of just standing his ground.

The actual penalty was shocking, tame and near the middle. Vertonghen's block was incredible, until I saw the replay with him two yards inside the box. Surely the linesman should be watching for that? So both linesmen have had a shocker.

I can see why Torreira got the red there. You can say what you like about him playing the ball, but nowadays in football if you slide and you can't prevent your studs from impacting another player's knee, you're deemed to be out of control and endangering his safety, and therefore it's a red card. Rose's one on Leno, I don't know, he's probably a bit lucky there but he didn't look to be as much out of control as Torreira as he's just trying to put the ball in the net. Perfectly willing to admit it could be my Spurs bias on that one though.

All in all it looked like we were poor and lucky to come out with a point. Unfortunately even a point isn't good enough. We needed to win that game, now the chasing pack are too close for comfort when we still have Liverpool and City to play. So not good enough. 1 point from 9 and that could be top four in the bin for us.
So if you think Rose is in control he has done the keeper deliberately?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes and your bias thinks Rose isn’t out of control as much as the Arsenal lad who got red
Torria got the ball Rose only got the keeper.
Torreira's one just looked worse to me, and more reckless. I conceded in the first place that it might be my Spurs bias influencing that though, so you're impressing no one by pointing the same thing out back to me. :rolleyes:

Also, getting the ball isn't relevant when you're talking about reckless endangerment.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Torreira's one just looked worse to me, and more reckless. I conceded in the first place that it might be my Spurs bias influencing that though, so you're impressing no one by pointing the same thing out back to me. :rolleyes:

Also, getting the ball isn't relevant when you're talking about reckless endangerment.
Not trying to impress anyone .
You quote if you go for the ball and follow through on someone’s knee it’s red .
But if you get the keeper in the chest that MIGHT be ok ,really.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You quote if you go for the ball and follow through on someone’s knee it’s red .

I haven’t seen either challenge so can’t comment too much, but fouls on the keeper for me always look worse and you get away with more because the keeper leads with his hands so more likely to get clattered than another player

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Give me a break, you know from this topic that it's very difficult to be unbiased when your own team is involved! I tried my best though. Having watched it again just now, the Rose one looks worse than I remembered during the game, and I'd say they're both red cards.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Give me a break, you know from this topic that it's very difficult to be unbiased when your own team is involved! I tried my best though. Having watched it again just now, the Rose one looks worse than I remembered during the game, and I'd say they're both red cards.
I am afraid it becomes hard to give someone a break when their first comment is questionable about my reading skills!
And yes we are all biased , and it’s usually pointed out to us.!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I haven’t seen either challenge so can’t comment too much, but fouls on the keeper for me always look worse and you get away with more because the keeper leads with his hands so more likely to get clattered than another player
Ok let us know when you see it. It’s not good and the ref should be asked why it’s not a red.
They don’t answer to anybody.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ok let us know when you see it. It’s not good and the ref should be asked why it’s not a red.
They don’t answer to anybody.

Just seen both id almost go not a red to either
Rose and Leno both going for ball, quite a distance between them. Keeper gets in way (does his job) gets clattered
Other one.. terrira is like a mile from rose when he goes for ball and catches him with the follow through

It’s just one of them both players going for ball makes it look worse

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just seen both id almost go not a red to either
Rose and Leno both going for ball, quite a distance between them. Keeper gets in way (does his job) gets clattered
Other one.. terrira is like a mile from rose when he goes for ball and catches him with the follow through

It’s just one of them both players going for ball makes it look worse
Yes can see that but if your going to send one off and not the other that’s what I think the ref got wrong.