An evening with Peter Allis

dewsweeper

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I know he is past his best but Peter Alliss has been part of my golfing experience almost from the start of my involvement in the game in 1967.
First it was Henry Longhurst then Peter Alliss,two great commentators on our sport who could sum up all the highs and lows in such a succint manner.
I wonder if any of our younger players ,who I suspect from there opinions on here find him boring and old fashioned,watched the programme and if they could see why some of us old guys still like and respect him.
Dewsweeper

ppauls150

Medal Winner
Visit site
I watched it, his comment about Carol Vorderman was brilliant
Exactely what I put on my FB after it finished. ;)
Just watched one of the best shows I've seen in a long while. I know Neil Coles might have seen it that but that an evening Peter Alliss on bbc2 was great. Don't think watching golf would be the same without the commentary of him hope sky look at signing him up when they get the rights for live golf on the Open. Best highlight was a clip which don't do it justice just showing what was said its better seeing the actual clip but not one about on you tube but imagine the thought on this.

Midway through the BBC's final round telecast from the British Masters, Ken Brown remarked that wayward Gonzalo Fernandez-Castano needed Countdown star Carol Vorderman to help work out his yardages.
"Carol Vorderman," mused Allis, dreamily. "Watched her on TV the other afternoon and got aroused."
After several seconds of dread-laden silence, the veteran broadcaster put his speechless colleagues out of their misery by adding: "That's seven letters ... not bad for a lad who left school at 15!"

#legend

Billythefish

Assistant Pro
www.cdhtraining.co.uk
Used to work with a guy, good golfer, but his brother was on the tour and he used to caddy for him a bit (he caddied for him in the open at birkdale, when rose chipped in)

anyways, he told me that allis is a legendary,is often seen cycling to the event, and never comments too late in the pm cos he loves the bollinger tent too much.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Watched the championship challenge yesterday and he was on about Bob Charles being ambidextrous.

"Ambidextrous?" says our Peter, "well he's halfway there!"

Brilliant, made me smile.

And i wont forget his "robbery with a bit of violence" comment when a Paddy Harrington putt looped out on the 18th at the 2002 Ryder Cup.

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Great show, best thing the BBC have done for golf in years.

It was a bit like watching Morecambe & Wise, nostalgic, entertaining and from a by-gone era

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
There's nothing wrong with a bit of eccentricity and old school approach that Allis brings if used correctly. To me the trouble is when he is surrounded by kind of watered down versions of himself, and at times it sounds like a bunch of old duffers rambling on about the good old days. Which may be great if you are also an old duffer who also rambles on about the good old days all the time, but not great if you are the majority of the TV audience looking for some insight and entertainment.

I think TMS show how it can be done very well with Blowers. As he has the potential to be very annoying but in short doses, coupled with commentators with a slightly more modern approach and sensibilities, he is great.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
A good friend (and avid golf nut) is marrying his granddaughter later this year. He was on the show last night with his little'un. He says Allis is unbelievable entertainment whatever the situation and has some cracking golf stories!

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Superb programme about a giant of sports broadcasting, and indeed no slouch at the game himself in his day too.

Don't think I've ever heard him fall into using cliches like so many of his contemporaries.

Different, amusing, sometimes a little bit rambling but always Número Uno in my book.

Long may he keep going!