American Golf Fairway Woods Fitting, my experience ....

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
I only live a few miles away from the store so have been in quite a few times and the guys recognise me from the visits over the last few months.*My 'pitch' for going along was quite simple, and to be honest I was shocked when asked to come along. Basically after purchasing my RBZ from the very same store (different fitter) I have really enjoyed using it, long straight shots are the norm but at my course we usually get quite a bit of wind and unless you have a low penetrating ball flight then your distance gets hammered. What I have seen lately is that my ball is ballooning a lot more (great for downwind but it comes down vertical when its hit into the wind). Secondly the distances between 3W and 3hybrid have been concerning me too, i really didn't have anything between the 205-225 range. So my aim was to see if anything could be done to help me out. Simples....

After the initial quick chat and some warming up for some stats, Dan and I discussed some more whilst looking at the figures that my initial shots showed up. Basically my figures were around 99mph swing speed and between 14-16 launch angle. Which is pretty much fine, but this is where the day took a bit of turn for me because he said that changing clubs would not necessarily be a fix. We could go a little lower launch by using the adjustability of the R11s, or maybe a different shaft but it wouldn't be achieving a lot. Another solution would be to look at my swing and try to tweak some things there. Basically my hands /arms do most of the work on my swing .... by reducing the scooping and working on that I could get a lower ball flight (and better roll out, and maybe even more distance).*

So having been invited for a fairway club fitting I may not actually be getting a new club, not the best start and to be honest I did feel a little disappointed at this point, but anyway ....

We progressed with trying some small swing changes to see how that might work. Moving my ball position and moving my hands to much more in front of the ball than previously and trying to maintain that shape through impact ... well it's obviously not an easy fix but when I swing and keep that position without letting my hands scoop the ball the results are much better, with an increase to 102mph ball speed and a drop of 2-3 on launch angle. This is definitely something that I need to work on but will clearly help me out in the long run.

So instead of a change of fairway wood we looked at the other end to reduce the gap between my hybrid and the RBZ, and we looked at a new hybrid instead :) Selecting a similar loft and shaft type we came up with a Ping i20 and again trying out the new swing technique gave a great improvement compared to my old Cobra Baffler (as much as I love that club it is probably 6 years old now). The Ping head feels quite a lot heavier in comparison but the Ping shaft feels very nice to hit and I can certainly get more confident with the shots now, adding a good 10 yards to close those gaps now.

So after going in for a fairway fitting I ended up with a swing change instead. Dan was in fact quite insistent that I really didn't need to be changing clubs, and it's nice to see that AG fitters are not always the trying to flog you the very latest for just for the sake of it.

Another thing that I have come away is that the Trackman tools are a great tool, but you have to remember that they give you results based on a perfect day (75 degrees, no wind, nice fairway roll), even hitting out onto a range does not give you 100% confidence that the club is gonna perform when your playing on a course. There are just too many variables that will*change your ball flight and landing plus roll out. I came away with even more confidence that I have the best 3w that I can get, and now we'll see if I can translate the swing mechanics onto the course.

Thanks to Golf Monthly staff, and American Golf Basingstoke for this great opportunity, and even without coming away with a fairway wood I'm very happy with the outcome. Cheers*:thup:

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
nice write up and good to hear its not all about the sale. So you got fitted for an I20 Hybrid, what loft and shaft did you decide on?

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
What shafts were available except the stock option?
Stock shafts are the TFC or the project x, as it's AG there are no other options. The project x is not much use to me as it launches higher and has greater spin too .... two things I'm trying to get away from :)

Half way through that I really feared were going to come away with nowt!

Glad they found a useful addition to your bag.
yeah my thoughts too. Must admit though just picking up a lower lofted fairway would not have been much use apart from being shiny. It was refreshing to see the choice being offered, rather than just dumping for a new one.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Very interesting reading, and restores some of my faith in AG. Good to see he didn't try and flog you a shaft AND a hybrid.

Time to change the signature? ;)

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
GREAT CLUB choice............:thup:

Nice thread too, I was thinking it was going to all end badly too, but pleased u got sorted
good to know I kept the suspense going ;)

Still some work for me to do to get the swing going, but I am genuinely happy that my own money went to good use with the RBZ ... Of course I could of got it free if I had waited a few months :)
Very interesting reading, and restores some of my faith in AG. Good to see he didn't try and flog you a shaft AND a hybrid.

Time to change the signature? ;)
done :thup:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Good report,

Woudl have been a real claim to fame if you had been the first person to to on a GM fitting for a free club and end up with nothing. Wonder how that would have been written up in the magazine

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
The cynic in me says he just saved his paymaster a few quid as hybrids are cheaper than fairway woods and would he have done the same if you were a paying customer looking to buy two new fairways...

...but I actually think this is a really great story and demonstrates that AG are improving the quality of their customer service and fitting programme so :thup: from me!!!

Let us know how you get on with the Batman hybrid BT :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Good write up but the cynic in me isn't convinced it would have been the same result if GM hadn't been there. I doubt you'd have a got a swing fix and it would have been fairway wood or bust. Too many bad experiences with AG to be convinced otherwise without them sucking up for the feature.

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't trust AG to fit me for a glove to be honest. However looks like you have had a good result, if the result had been the same like Homer says without GM present who knows. Hope it works well for you anyway.

Tiger

Money List Winner
Actually on reflection I think he was on a hiding to nothing and actually played a blinder. In comes a chap wielding the 3 wood that lots of people are talking about and wanting to change it. "No sir don't be silly it's you not the club, look at this...but I will fix that hybrid problem
For you here is an i20"

Well played the AG man I say :thup: :thup:

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not sure I fully understand the logic of this though.

GM paid for it, not me (they we going to pay for it anyway, never in question), so why wouldnt they fit me for something/anything? ... on the off chance that they might get what ?

Are you saying that the driver fittings the other week were wrong, or that they clinically calculated somehow to make sure I wasn't fitted? How would they do such a thing, they didn't know anything about me before I arrived, and the fitter was even believing it was a driver fitting before he was corrected.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Actually on reflection I think he was on a hiding to nothing and actually played a blinder. In comes a chap wielding the 3 wood that lots of people are talking about and wanting to change it. "No sir don't be silly it's you not the club, look at this...but I will fix that hybrid problem
For you here is an i20"
As I said he didn't specifically tell me to do the swing changes, he gave me the choice of trying to find a new fairway OR trying to tweak my swing. I chose the swing change.

The suggestion for the hybrid change also came first from GM too, as I think they we just as shocked as we wee to see no fairway being purchased.

Last edited:

Tiger

Money List Winner
As I said he didn't specifically tell me to do the swing changes, he gave me the choice of trying to find a new fairway OR trying to tweak my swing. I chose the swing change.

The suggestion for the hybrid change also came first from GM too, as I think they we just as shocked as we wee to see no fairway being purchased.

Oh I see, sorry clearly didnt read the OP properly :eek: . Mmmm sounds very strange he was going to let you walk away with nothing :confused: In that case well played you for opting for the swing change and well played GM for making sure you got a shiny new hybrid :thup: