American Golf Club Fitting

D

Deleted member 1740

I think so mate. There was no indication that they would be changed.

Yes I can get them direct however I would have to pay upfront which I’m now thinking about as being a negative and instead I’m thinking about using AG 0% intrest.

Clubhousegolf offer this too. They price match aswell but usually cheaper anyway.

Titleist3

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yes I’ve seen that too.

They are a lot cheaper on Clubhouse so going to get AG to price match for me.

I will probably leave the Driver & Fairway out bag and get the M2 in both as opposed to buying the M4 just to save myself a little bit of money.

Titleist3

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Believe it or not I bit the bullet today:

Purchased 5-PW today in Titleist AP3.

Shaft: AMT Tour White S300

Lie Angle: Upright +2 Degrees

Length: Standard

Offset: Standard

Price (after trading in old Burners 09 and price match): £689

Next up is H2 Hybrid & a 14 way bag!!!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Believe it or not I bit the bullet today:

Purchased 5-PW today in Titleist AP3.

Shaft: AMT Tour White S300

Lie Angle: Upright +2 Degrees

Length: Standard

Offset: Standard

Price (after trading in old Burners 09 and price match): £689

Next up is H2 Hybrid & a 14 way bag!!!

Your wife is going to kill you lol

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes I’ve seen that too.

They are a lot cheaper on Clubhouse so going to get AG to price match for me.

I will probably leave the Driver & Fairway out bag and get the M2 in both as opposed to buying the M4 just to save myself a little bit of money.

Why on Earth would you do that....??:confused::confused:

You went to the bother of going to a fitting, yet you're going to take a chance, a gamble, on a completely different model....!!

Whatever spec you were fitted for in m4
Won't play the same in the m2

You trying to save money could cost you more in the long run

Titleist3

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Why on Earth would you do that....??:confused::confused:

You went to the bother of going to a fitting, yet you're going to take a chance, a gamble, on a completely different model....!!

Whatever spec you were fitted for in m4
Won't play the same in the m2

You trying to save money could cost you more in the long run

It was to try and keep the cost down mate.

I understand where you are coming from with this view and I have decided to agree with you and wait till the time is ready.

I really need a new bag however...

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Thought I'd dredge up an old thread. I popped into AG at Crown Point in Leeds on Sunday, just to pass an hour - plus the young un is nattering about some new irons. We obviously got approached by a sales assistant, so I explained that the boy was struggling with his current clubs (Callaway Steelheads, graphite shafts, shortened an inch) - he just doesn't get on with them, they feel heavy to him, plus he doesn't like the look behind the ball as they have quite a thick top line.
The assistant arranged for the fitter to come over once he'd got a moment, and to cut a long story short, the boy has a fitting tomorrow. He's only just turned 13, and a smidging over 5ft, so it'll be interesting to see how it goes for him. In fairness, the fitter seemed to have some good ideas and suggestions on which direction to go in, and is going to go through the bag to check all his clubs. Also, he’s outgrown his hybrid and his 3 wood is buggered, so aside from his driver which he loves, there's definitely scope for improvement.

Last edited:

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I’ve been to a fair few places now and have to say AG are bottom of the pile as their fit has always been from what’s on the shelf.

I think YouTube has to share a bit of guilt as you see tour experience fits and the majority of fitters aren’t that in depth. That why I always try to review any fittings I have on here now so people can ask me any burning questions.

RichA

Visit site
The one thing I've found AG have going for them is that I can walk in and they build a 7-iron I want to try and let me take it onto the range unsupervised for a basket of balls. That's the one in Oxford anyway.

Jason.H

Visit site
The one thing I've found AG have going for them is that I can walk in and they build a 7-iron I want to try and let me take it onto the range unsupervised for a basket of balls. That's the one in Oxford anyway.

When you say build I assume you mean put one of the standard shaft offerings in and different lie angle heads. As far as I’m aware any golf course pro shop that sells irons near you would do this and let you use it on the range and course. As long as they trust your not going to nick it 😅

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Usually have to leave your car keys at the counter if you take clubs into the range at my local AG.
The free token for range balls isn't given anymore

RichA

Visit site
When you say build I assume you mean put one of the standard shaft offerings in and different lie angle heads. As far as I’m aware any golf course pro shop that sells irons near you would do this and let you use it on the range and course. As long as they trust your not going to nick it 😅
Yes. Pick a head, pick a shaft and away you go without any judgement or too many questions. It's not something you can do at any of my local clubs, which don't have particularly great pro shops.

peld

Visit site
its pot luck with AG as to the quality of staff.
In Livingston i was fitted by a guy who then went to work for Scott Gourlay, he knew his stuff.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
its pot luck with AG as to the quality of staff.
In Livingston i was fitted by a guy who then went to work for Scott Gourlay, he knew his stuff.

On the one occasion I’ve had a fitting with them, the guy seemed knowledgeable - and I felt like I’d explored all the options with the clubs in my budget.

One of the plusses for AG, is they have a comprehensive range of clubs - the boy is drawn to some Cobra Aerojets, having used my F8 Cobra Kings at the weekend. While Ping, Taylor Made etc are in a lot of pros shops, Cobra aren’t as much, so, getting an opportunity to try them against other clubs in one fitting becomes more challenging.

Jason.H

Visit site
Yes. Pick a head, pick a shaft and away you go without any judgement or too many questions. It's not something you can do at any of my local clubs, which don't have particularly great pro shops.
My club has a very small pro shop which sell Mizuno and Taylormade and we’re happy for me to try different shafts over many rounds of golf. There’s no harm in asking at any pro shop that sells irons if you can use them on the range or course.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
So...

The youth tried the Cobra Aerojet irons, guy fitted him into a lightweight standard length shaft, tweaked the lie to take 1/2 inch out of the shaft length for him.
Got his average 7 iron distance up by 15 yards on his current Callaway X-16's, with a few nudging 165 yards total yardage. Appreciate they're not tour figures but given his age, height and build, he was happy.
No hard sell, and if we did go with them the fitter wanted to see him hit a (new) 5 iron before offering any advice on hybrids and fairway woods to make sure gapping was correct.

Personally, I felt there could have been a little more exploration with different shaft options, and heads, but that said, I'm not the expert and it could be that the fitter was happy with what he was seeing from the data.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So...

The youth tried the Cobra Aerojet irons, guy fitted him into a lightweight standard length shaft, tweaked the lie to take 1/2 inch out of the shaft length for him.
Got his average 7 iron distance up by 15 yards on his current Callaway X-16's, with a few nudging 165 yards total yardage. Appreciate they're not tour figures but given his age, height and build, he was happy.
No hard sell, and if we did go with them the fitter wanted to see him hit a (new) 5 iron before offering any advice on hybrids and fairway woods to make sure gapping was correct.

Personally, I felt there could have been a little more exploration with different shaft options, and heads, but that said, I'm not the expert and it could be that the fitter was happy with what he was seeing from the data.
Further than I hit a 7 iron so don’t knock it!