American Golf Club Fitting

Titleist3

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi all,

As some of you may of seen earlier this week I had my first round in a while after an operation.

I have the big back...don't tell the wife!!

I am looking to go to AG tomorrow and get a club fitting, has anyone been here before for one? I've never actually been fitted so I'm quite nervous!!

Thanks all!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hi all,

As some of you may of seen earlier this week I had my first round in a while after an operation.

I have the big back...don't tell the wife!!

I am looking to go to AG tomorrow and get a club fitting, has anyone been here before for one? I've never actually been fitted so I'm quite nervous!!

Thanks all!

Where are you based? I have found AG fittings hit and miss (mostly misses) and it depends what store you go to and how well trained the member of staff with. I'm also not convinced about the launch monitor settings nor being cranked. It IS a good starting point and you can always take the specs away with you and try a separate fitting elsewhere like a local range etc and see how they compare. Glad you've got the bug back and enjoy trying the new clubs

connor

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just had my irons done there and they was fantastic. He gave me the option if I wanted the launch monitor numbers I said yes as was interested in the spin numbers etc, as Plymouth has an outdoor range rather than hitting into a screen. I Was hitting balls and was a lowish flight like I always have. We spoke about it and he was keen for me to hit it a bit higher so then tried a couple different shafts to get the flight higher. Then we did a lie check. Then a hand measurement to check if needed or wanted extra tape.

So completely different experience to homers. Previously I’ve had fittings with my club pro and with cobra at a fitting day and this was similar.

Titleist3

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Its good to hear both sides.

I'll be visiting AG Aintree, Liverpool.

I'm really open minded in terms of what clubs they offer me. I already have Taylormade Burners so I think I'm due an upgrade. I love the look of Titleist but if I'm not getting the results I want I'll see what they can do for me!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Its good to hear both sides.

I'll be visiting AG Aintree, Liverpool.

I'm really open minded in terms of what clubs they offer me. I already have Taylormade Burners so I think I'm due an upgrade. I love the look of Titleist but if I'm not getting the results I want I'll see what they can do for me!
There an Aussie in Aintree AG he is a very good lad to see, I just can’t remember his name.

Siren

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It does depend on the person doing it, I would make sure you are being fitted by a professional otherwise you have people there just reading numbers they think are good.

I went in to try the jpx 900 but couldnt carry the 6 iron my 7 iron distance (same lofts) and the guy was claiming they were perfect for me until I went back at him with spin rates etc.

On the other hand a few years ago I was fitted by a pro who was outstanding and I left with a set of Mizuno irons I wish I had never sold.

Take your time dont commit to anything and make sure you have a few different shafts and head combos.

Titleist3

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As cheeky as this sounds I plan on getting fitted from AG but then buying my clubs direct through the manufacturer due to contacts.

adasko

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As cheeky as this sounds I plan on getting fitted from AG but then buying my clubs direct through the manufacturer due to contacts.
Because people like you with no intention to buy anything just abusing free fitting I'm not surprised the guys at American golf can sometimes do a bad fittings. You just gone waste their time, if you have contacts why don't you go direct to manufacturer and pay for the fitting. I could never understood people who willing to spend 600 to a 1000 pounds on a golf clubs but are to savvy to pay 50 pounds for the fitting.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
if ordering else where id be inclined to go to a fitter who charges to know your getting the best possible results

AG can be hit and miss.. however they are getting better and better

but you can go to a fitter whos been doing it for years for like £50

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Many fitters will refund the fitting charge if you buy the clubs through them.

AG are a high volume retailer, you won’t get the bespoke fitting service that a professional fitter should provide and there may be limitations in the shaft options available.

But they are a good place to start for your average golfer.

I too am a bit skeptical about cranked launch monitors. Always take a couple of your existing clubs with you and compare like with like.

Also for me , hitting outdoors and actually seeing the ball flight is far better than hitting into a net/screen .

Good luck and relax, if you feel that you aren’t swinging well on the day, don’t be steamrolled into buying, arrange to go back another day.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Because people like you with no intention to buy anything just abusing free fitting I'm not surprised the guys at American golf can sometimes do a bad fittings..

Don't understand why you think this would impact the quality of the fitting or why this is "abusing" their service. Its on a no obligation basis and the OP has every right to do what he proposes. AG should charge if this is a problem for them.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't understand why you think this would impact the quality of the fitting or why this is "abusing" their service. Its on a no obligation basis and the OP has every right to do what he proposes. AG should charge if this is a problem for them.
Agreed. I'm sure enough people will make snap decisions and buy immediately for it to still be worthwhile to AG to do it.

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Agreed. I'm sure enough people will make snap decisions and buy immediately for it to still be worthwhile to AG to do it.

I've seen many a person walk into american golf wanting a specific club. Have 3 hits and then buy them.
I went in tried 3/4 3woods and walked away with none. I was more time consuming, but the chap previously on the launch monitor made it all worth while, buying some new clubs which were clearly not for him. The branch in Norwich has a TV above the fitting zone for everyone to see how the shots are going. Lets say very few found the fairway.....or semi rough for that matter.....the guys said they weren't for him, but he wanted them and brought them....all because of them allowing the free use of a launch monitor.

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Agree with this 100%.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've seen many a person walk into american golf wanting a specific club. Have 3 hits and then buy them.
I went in tried 3/4 3woods and walked away with none. I was more time consuming, but the chap previously on the launch monitor made it all worth while, buying some new clubs which were clearly not for him. The branch in Norwich has a TV above the fitting zone for everyone to see how the shots are going. Lets say very few found the fairway.....or semi rough for that matter.....the guys said they weren't for him, but he wanted them and brought them....all because of them allowing the free use of a launch monitor.
Yeah. If I were a low handicapper with a more consistent swing, I'd probably be more inclined to pay for a proper fitting. But as a higher handicapper, when I wanted new irons at the turn of the year, AG free fitting was ideal just to try a few of the different brands and see what I liked the feel of. I didn't buy the clubs there and then, but I ended up buying them second hand from a different branch of AG, so they got their sale in a roundabout way in the end.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I went for a fitting I didn’t mind what shaft at all I was going to end up with so they got me to try a few

I wanted 716 ap1 and ended up with them but I tried many clubs.. all same numbers I just ended up with what I liked the look off

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Because people like you with no intention to buy anything just abusing free fitting I'm not surprised the guys at American golf can sometimes do a bad fittings. You just gone waste their time, if you have contacts why don't you go direct to manufacturer and pay for the fitting. I could never understood people who willing to spend 600 to a 1000 pounds on a golf clubs but are to savvy to pay 50 pounds for the fitting.

Agree with you here, the number of no sales will reduce the quality of the fitting service, given that you cant just burn money. Yes of course AG will know that people are going to abuse the service and they feel it is still cost effective to offer. I can appreciate not buying because you didn't like the feel/product you wanted, but to go intentionally to abuse the free fitting is wrong and I don't see how you can justify doing it.

micklson66

Visit site
I have been fitted twice by AG for irons, the last occasion being in 2015.
On both occasions i felt that the fitting was slightly rushed and was not offered the chance to try different shafts but left fairly content with the experience and happy enough with the clubs i had chosen. I had recently taken the game up again and was playing with a HC of 18 - 20 over that period.
After getting my HC down to 12 and after researching club fitting i decided to give Precision Golf a try. On taking my irons down to PG and having them checked over i was made aware that there was inconsistency with the shafts and lofts of the irons i had purchased. At AG i had ordered irons 2 deg upright but several of them were not.
At PG you are obviously paying for the fitting and have an allocated time slot so you get a better service in return. There is no pressure on you to buy particular clubs. I actually kept the club heads and only changed the shafts. I think you leave PG with a much more precise fit. That being said they are very expensive and i was fortunate enough at that time to be able to afford to give it a go. It will be at the end of this season if i can say the extra expense was worth it or not but its certainly worth considering other alternatives to AG. Like others have said, make sure you are not rushed into a decision and try as many different clubs / shafts as you can
Good luck with whatever clubs you end up choosing:swing:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Agree with you here, the number of no sales will reduce the quality of the fitting service, given that you cant just burn money. Yes of course AG will know that people are going to abuse the service and they feel it is still cost effective to offer. I can appreciate not buying because you didn't like the feel/product you wanted, but to go intentionally to abuse the free fitting is wrong and I don't see how you can justify doing it.
:rofl:
AG is a multinational company who chooses to offer this free service. I'm sure they will cope if some people use it and buy their clubs elsewhere. If too many people are doing that then they will cease offering it, but they haven't yet so they must be doing ok.