Am I being anal about this?

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
Got in from work and there are 71 new posts in "ask the experts"

I thought the idea was to "ask the experts" rather than a free-for-all?

Sorry guys, I dont consider myself an expert so am keeping quiet in this sub-forum.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think to be honest the wording of it should perhaps be changed. Realistically it is not going to be a place where a pro can solve everyones problems so it is designed to be an area where people can post problems they are having with their game etc and then they can be answered by some of the very knowledgeable people we do have on here, or others that may have had the same problem and been given professional advice on it in the past. It is just a way for people to have their golf related problems / questions answered out of the 'lounge', to stop the main forum being over run.

I am quite happy for people on here to give their opinions as many are good golfers and the majority who would help know exactly what they are talking about. I certainly am no expert but if I felt I could help someone due to them having a problem I have/ have had, I would certainly respond. If I didn't know what I was on about or had nothing to add then I wouldn't post. Simple :D

B

birdieman

Jon, you are probably correct. In the editors original post he suggested us forumers should contribute on golf destinations and courses but I suppose as its not mentioned probably not on golf technique.
I have already hacked off another forumer and had a dressing down for offering an opinion on a swing related matter that had the words 'almost certainly' in it, but I would readily admit I am no expert either.
If however no experts are actually going to appear to answer questions then what do we do? The sub forum will be pointless.
Personally I was just trying to help out but perhaps this sub-forum should just be for real experts? But what can an expert determine from a grainy 30 second youtube swing film really or a fairly vague verbal description of a golf problem?
You would probably need at least a half hour lesson in person with a golf coach for a real expert opinion.
Food for thought!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I rarely give advice, (glass houses, stones, undressing in the basement, etc). Only if I am familiar with someones swing, through playing with them, and they have a fault so glaringly obvous, that even I can see it, would I consider giving advice. But they would be stupid to pay it any attention over getting it sorted by a professional. My own swing is idiosyncratic, but I know how it works. I do not know what makes another persons swing work, I can only compare it to a hyperthetical 'perfect' swing (maybe Adam Scott?), and point out the differences. However, these won't necessarily be the most important ones.

To summarise, I am no expert.

On the other hand, those that can't do, teach.

I also know that most unsolicited advice I have been given over the years (swing related) has been tosh.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am quite happy for people on here to give their opinions as many are good golfers and the majority who would help know exactly what they are talking about. I certainly am no expert but if I felt I could help someone due to them having a problem I have/ have had, I would certainly respond. If I didn't know what I was on about or had nothing to add then I wouldn't post. Simple :D

I agree with this. Mostly I'm keeping out.

It's a fair OP.....nothing wrong with making this comment.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
The wording is just a bit off mate, would be better to have it "Ask the Forum"

I have had nothing but bloody good advice and honesty from this forum and long may it continue!

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
The wording is just a bit off mate, would be better to have it "Ask the Forum"

Good point. I think it is good that there is "somewhere" to ask a very specific question, one that might be viewed by a genuine expert. It's probably in the best interests of those at GM that watch the boards to "know" where an important issue/question might be asked.

For me; I have been on 3 or 4 forums over the years and nearly always get good advice. I have had broken parts on my Ford Puma and have posted a question to the board which has been replied to and the problem solved. Most of these guys are not mechanics therefore NOT experts, but as SO many issues are common to all folk, some suggestions or "oh, I know that one (situation/problem)" are easily solved.

Thankfully, I am on a forum where I am an expert, but sadly, I got fed up with being one of the few.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I don't think it is realistic to see "experts" perusing this forum on a daily basis. I am happy that swing questions can be sub-divided onto a separate area as these do crop up on a regular basis. If nothing else it gives forummers a one stop shop to go back and look at previous threads if they have a particular issue or fault.

I think advice from forum members on here is always given with total honesty and from the heart. I'd rather listen to other peoples opinions and ideas and choose for myself what I think is relevant and useful. As for peole not feeling qualified enough, I'd rather have your views and make my own mind up.

I know where birdieman is coming from (I PM'd the guy he had upset) and as long as people realise they may not always like or agree with the advice given and that at best it is subjective (even after looking at swing videos) then order should be preserved and this will be a great reference source.

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Its the wording of the thread and the introduction thats the problem.

Ask the experts raised my eyebrows when I saw it for a number of reasons, one is I am not noted or defined as an expert, the reason I put it that way is that in my years of golf I have met a fair few who were recognised as such whom I wouldnt personally give the time of day as regarding being golf experts. However to get real experts to visit this thread would be difficult and indeed possible costly and logistically hard for them to deal with some issues any better than the general advice offered in here, though I do think specific advice should be given a great deal of care when submitted.

Anyway what determines an expert on anything?
Skill,knowledge,ability to pass that skill and knowledge on,years of doing something, in depth study of the subject of golf or study of method of playing the game or a particular aspect of the game.The word 'expert' in this day and age is very watered down in my view anyway in many walks of life, so it is quite possible there are people using this site who would on ballance qualify as such, but I certainly dont mean me! :eek:

Just change the title thats all. 'Problems advice and tips on golf' would do :D

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
I would welcome anyones 'advice', (lets face it I need all the help I can get!), but having been a professional instructor (another sport), I am aware of what I might find really useful, and what doesn't seem quite so useful to my particular problem.

We've all got or had problems, and what works for one may not work for another. But it may also bring a solution that you hadn't yet considered.

I'm all for re-naming, and welcoming everyones ideas.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I suppose we do not know what is going on in the background to 'promote' this area to experts and encourage them to comment. It has, after all, only been up for about a week.

Certainly in the past we have had representatives from manufacturers on here, Sandy from Go_kart appeared briefly and Stuart, the MD from Orka, was on here for a bit a year or so ago answering queries so it is not totally beyond reason to think that other such people may drop in to answer queries. I also know that a representative of MD posts on another golf forum that I used to frequent.

I will be interested to see how it develops.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I think the idea is that we are the experts (forum ones at least), just to remove the 'rate my swing, and what wedge should I buy' type posts out of the lounge area.

It just needs renaming to 'technical advice', and people need to learn to post in the correct subsection.