Am I allowed items on the floor in the tee box?

tommyangles

Club Champion
Visit site
I have been using bobs headcover drill to correct my out to in swing path and it has been working a treat. Am I allowed to place items on the floor in the tee box in a real round? Was going to use something less bulky like another tee, just to give me visual aid.

Teeing off in an hour so help much appreciated.

Thanks
Tom

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Pretty sure You can in a bounce game, but in competitions no aid whatsoever is allowed

Last edited:

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't think you are but use a blemish/ divot/ old broken tee and when you tee up set your ball in a position to use one of those to keep your swing on path.

Just choose a spot yourself that brings one of those into play for you if you nderstand.

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
Yeah I am pretty sure that would be in breach of rules 14/3

Except as provided in the Rules, during a stipulated round the player must not
use any artificial device or unusual equipment (see Appendix IV for detailed
specifications and interpretations), or use any equipment in an unusual manner:
a. That might assist him in making a stroke or in his play; or
b. For the purpose of gauging or measuring distance or conditions that
might affect his play; or
c. That might assist him in gripping the club, except that:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
A good way of practicing this on the course (Tee girl came up with this one) is to stand close to and facing a tree with low branches. Position yourself so that when you swing and throw at the top, you would hit the branches. Then simply have a few swings making sure you miss them. (Handy if they're close to the tee)

If you're really good or you play links golf, you could do the same with a bin, ball washer, trolley, playing partners etc etc.
I can not and will not pay for damages done to above items :rofl:

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
The reference is Rule 8-2 Indicating Line of Play rather than 14-3.

You can put something on the ground to align yourself (e.g. place a club across your feet) but it must be removed before making the stroke. See Decision 8-2a/1. If you leave the object in place as you play (see Decision 8-2a/2) you are in breach of 8-2 with a penalty of loss of hole or 2 strokes.