Always experimenting...

Mandofred

Visit site
Just ordered a few grips. A couple cheapie putter grips for old putters, 2 jumbomax ultra light extra small grips (bigger than mid size), and a couple of mid size +4 in case those jumbo's don't work. Going to put one jumbo on my 52 wedge first since I don't use that club very much. If it goes well I'll put the other one on a hybrid.

Mandofred

Visit site
I thought the whole point of those grips was to help keep your wrists quiet. Not sure how that will work with a hybrid?
I'm not real active with my wrists.....unless I'm hitting a flop. My whole golf theory these days is to give the finger to hitting it further and getting as safe and consistent as possible. The larger grips (in theory) will keep the ball more on line. Hybrid...iron....driver.....whatever......keep it safe and on the fairway/green.

Mandofred

Visit site
Just remember which end of the club to hit the ball with.:LOL:
It shouldn't be that big. It all depends on how I like the jumbo (x-small) with the wedge. If I get even more consistency, then it's a done deal. Most of my rounds the last couple of months have been within a couple shots of my hc (both under and over). I'm liking the mid-size grips I currently have....can't see going back to the standard size.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've bought a couple of second hand clubs that arrived with mid-sized grips on and I hated them, had to get them removed each time. I can't even imagine using a jumbo grip. Must be like swinging a baseball bat. Maybe for you that is desirable! I think the reason I hate it is because my fingers are very skinny, so having more surface area to cover makes my grip feel wrong.

Mandofred

Visit site
I've bought a couple of second hand clubs that arrived with mid-sized grips on and I hated them, had to get them removed each time. I can't even imagine using a jumbo grip. Must be like swinging a baseball bat. Maybe for you that is desirable! I think the reason I hate it is because my fingers are very skinny, so having more surface area to cover makes my grip feel wrong.
I wear mens small gloves....fingers reasonably thin. I've been using 10 finger grip for over half this last year....but I can flip back to interlock grip with no problem, just takes 5 minutes of practice to get used to it again. I'm happy with the mid size......this is just an experiment for me. If I put the jumbo (smallest one) on my 52 degree and I don't like it....there won't be much hesitation on going back to mid size.....I ordered two of that size just so I could switch back easily.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not sure I'd be making that many changes. Putter grip I get. Personally I'd be chatting to a pro and getting him to look at your hand size and give you his thoughts. Anything too thick or thin could lead to issues through impact

Mandofred

Visit site
Not sure I'd be making that many changes. Putter grip I get. Personally I'd be chatting to a pro and getting him to look at your hand size and give you his thoughts. Anything too thick or thin could lead to issues through impact
Yep. But.....that is traditional golf thinking, which lately is being blasted apart a bit. It's always been "if you have xxx sized hands, then you should have this sized grip". That way of thinking is changing....in a good way. I am currently using grips that are "too big" for my small hands, and I'm getting better, more consistent shots/scores. Might not work for everybody, but golfers on the whole (in my opinion) are very tradition oriented and don't experiment and try new things. I like experimenting.....if jumbo grips don't work....I'm only out the cost of several grips. But.....if they do work.....:):). I'd love to try arm lock putting as well. I'm sure most golfers won't seriously consider it. I've experimented a LOT with different sizes of putter grips. I like the feel of large putter grips....but the ball goes in more with a mildly larger grip...so that is what I am using. It used to be everybody used nothing but blade style putters, now look what's happened.