Alternative ball to ProV1 - less spin more distance

afc69

Visit site
I posted a few weeks ago of how I was losing distance since I changed to callaway X22 irons. I think that is due to the Uniflex shaft that I have, not being firm enough, causing the ball to baloon up into the air with too much spin on it.

So, rather than change the clubs, I thought I might change the ball instead. I currently use the Titleist ProV1, and can afford to lose a certain amount of spin, if it meant I gained a few yards.

Can anybody recommend a ball that can do that, whilst still giving a certain amount of stop on the greens?

Ken_A

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I need a low spin ball and for me my preference rated top highest

Bridgestone B330s
Prov1X
Bridgestone B330RX
Taylormade TP Black

To be honest I find the Bridgestone B330RX the longest.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I use the B330RX by choice and if I can't get my hands on those then go for the ProV1X.

The B330RX is slightly longer, the ProV1X spins a bit more, but not a lot between them imo.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Bridgestone 330RXS are a hidden treasure and the mutts nuts and cheaper than Pro V and V1x. Try the Srixon Z star too and I also rate the TP red or black (black slightly firmer). The TP's are down to £26 in AG

NickSwan

Club Champion
www.3goodshots.com
I use Srixon Z Star's and really like them.

Why not find a course/range that has a good radar setup and does ball fitting? They have just started doing this at my club which I'm gonna try soon. At least it removes the doubt from your mind then about which ball you should be playing.

Cheers
Nick

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nike One - Vapour (or Vapor if you like).

Great for distance, can't see it spinning like a ProV either.

GasMan

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Taylor made TP RED - the black is the higher spin 1 ie ridiculous spin levels.

TP red is my ball of choice and clubhouse golf does them @ £24.99 for a dozen ;)

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
ive just lost my two free prov1x, found them to be pretty hard, not as much spin as prov1. (although made a massive splash in the pond!)just got today 3 dozen wilson staff fg tour urethane balls for 50 pound at 118golf got your number. will report back after weekend how they go.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
No, the 1x is a low spin ball for the more powerful hitter.

funny (not ha ha), I found the V1x easier to hit than the V1 and I don't have a particularly fast swing.
of the two I got from Titleist (at CS) the 1x was way better than the NXT Tour - that cut up way too easily.

all gone now - sad.
- and I still lose too many to buy any - cheap me!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Because the 1x spins less, it would be more controllable left/right, and hence could suit you. However, unless you are a powerful hitter, you won't be getting the maximum out of it, as you need to compress it down to the inner core to really get it going.
This ball was designed for guys like Ernie, who really crush it.

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Srixon Trispeed are really good and a cheap alternative to the top end balls, I doubt you will notice any difference except in your wallet.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Good point, really liked the Tri-speed. Strangely though none of the pro shops near me stock it. The pro shop at my club stocks AD333, Z-Star and Soft Feel but no Tri-Speed. Wonder why?

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Because the 1x spins less, it would be more controllable left/right, and hence could suit you. However, unless you are a powerful hitter, you won't be getting the maximum out of it, as you need to compress it down to the inner core to really get it going.
This ball was designed for guys like Ernie, who really crush it.

I asked the Titleist fitting chap and he was saying the only differnce between them is that the 1x spun less of the tee but more round the green (old ones) and the newer ones just spin less all round