Alterations to WHS?

Swango1980

Visit site
Did they actually confirm what the changes are or is it still a secret?
Worse than MI5.....
I agree.

If they are planning to add CR-Par, then that is a fairly big change. Both in terms of getting new boards, but also the fact golfers will generally see big differences to course handicap.

I'd have thought they would have relayed that info to Club Committees as soon as they settled on the date it was to be implemented, just so they have the heads up. And then maybe publicise it a bit online the year before, for anyone that cares to read up on it. Nearly November now, and are we saying this still hasn't been publicised? If not, is it because they are still thinking they could do a u-turn?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
I am not quite grasping either the urgency nor the need to communicate to the footsoldiers.
Compeitition hc is calculated and spat out by the label printer when we sign into a competition, or preregister a round on the app. Other than answering a few queries with 'they have changed it a bit this year', everyone in our club will just play on with whatever they are given. They will literally do nothing differently.

Last edited:

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
This has already been picked up at a local course, certain players who blobbed a hole, entering 'did not play' rather than 'played but did not score'. Both versions show zero points, but one counts the hole as a nett par for your handicap and the other nett double....

As stated before, most wont know or care when entering their score....
We use Club V1 and it throws a warning next to the GP on the list saying round contains one or more did not play holes.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
This was answer to 2024 WHS changes

Communications to clubs and counties will be within the next week and webinar's for these changes will be set up in November and Face 2 Face workshops next year.
From the 1st April so we're able to support clubs/counties with understanding of the changes.
Is it just me that thinks that the morning of April 1st is a strange time to change things?

wjemather

Visit site
Did they actually confirm what the changes are or is it still a secret?
Worse than MI5.....
No, because that wasn't the purpose of the webinar - even if that's what some people wanted it to be.

Comms will be sent out in the next week or so regarding the 2024 update, which doesn't go into effect until April in GB&I. There will be seminars, etc. in the new year.

Genu9

Visit site
No, because that wasn't the purpose of the webinar - even if that's what some people wanted it to be.

Comms will be sent out in the next week or so regarding the 2024 update, which doesn't go into effect until April in GB&I. There will be seminars, etc. in the new year.
1698394046791.png
Mmm maybe I read it wrong.........🤷‍♂️

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Well, aside from obvious fool jokes, its the start of the season for most UK clubs, so maybe a few weeks earlier might have ironed out some bugs....
Start of the season seems to be exactly the right time to me, as it makes communicating the changes and when they are implemented easier. If there are bugs then I don't see how implementing earlier would help. There's never a perfect time.

Alan Clifford

Visit site
Reading the 2024 Rules of Handicapping, they have been addressing rounding, which is good. However, for negative score differentials
For example:
When a Score Differential is calculated as -1.54, it is rounded to -1.5
When a Score Differential is calculated as -1.55, it is rounded to -1.5
When a Score Differential is calculated as -1.56, it is rounded to -1.6

Doesn't effect me at these levels :) but in an Open Office spreadsheet, -1.55 rounds to -1.6.

wjemather

Visit site
Reading the 2024 Rules of Handicapping, they have been addressing rounding, which is good. However, for negative score differentials

Doesn't effect me at these levels :) but in an Open Office spreadsheet, -1.55 rounds to -1.6.
Presumably you're reading the USGA version. There will likely be a few differences in the CONGU version.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
A new system that was brought in to modernise the old system is still as clear as mud I see.
This thread is turning into the LIV of rules thread. Those that love it and those that don’t
Its goal was to modernise it. It achieved its goal.

Those asking for clarity are asking for something it did not set out to give them, so the charge of lack of full insight to its inner workings is invalid.

I dont know the full programming logic code running my TV. I dont need to. I just want it to change channel and let me follow the prompts on the screen.

That the statistics behind expected scores, 8 from 20, PCC, etc are not shared for scrutiny or understood is not a flaw in WHS. Its really none of your business.

Just play your golf and type in your score. The blackbox will do the rest for you behind the scenes. The clarity, crystal.