alteration to scorecard

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
is there a r and a rule for say the marker or player changes/disputes(and wins) a score for a hole to initial the correction, if they fail to initial then what. at my second club (get me) this is a regular thing. sometimes cant make out score for hole

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It's your responsibility to return a signed scorecard that has the number of strokes written clearly - nothing more. Alterations can be made until the card is handed in. No need for initials although many do.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
is there a r and a rule for say the marker or player changes/disputes(and wins) a score for a hole to initial the correction, if they fail to initial then what. at my second club (get me) this is a regular thing. sometimes cant make out score for hole

there's no requirement for initials (6-6a/6)

there is a requirement to record the gross score for each hole and this is taken to include legibility.

Last edited:

DCB

Visit site
There's no need to initial a change on the card, assuming it's been made before marker and player both sign the card.

If there's a dispute over a score at a hole, then that's a different can of worms ;)

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
ok but if the alteration is over the same score as in written over and not as a single score readable, but when you add the 9 holes up it becomes apparent what that score is! if that makes sense. as ive heard that on some golf clubs that if it looks like a mess they are dqd

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I think in a situation like that, where the card is a mess due to alterations - get another card and start again......

T

thecraw

^^^^^^^

Don't know if anyone mentioned that you don't need to initial any changes!

:rofl:

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I take it you are asking the question as one of the Committee trying to decipher the card? Since the player's responsibility is to record his gross score for each hole, and yours to do the adding up, you can't really start doing sums based on the player's adding up in order to infer the score for an individual hole.

I don't see your having a great problem and think you should be confident enough not to bother the R&A. If you cannot read the score at a hole clearly and without ambiguity, the player has not fulfilled his responsibility under R6-6 and is disqualified. Illegibility is the player's problem, not yours!

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
I take it you are asking the question as one of the Committee trying to decipher the card? Since the player's responsibility is to record his gross score for each hole, and yours to do the adding up, you can't really start doing sums based on the player's adding up in order to infer the score for an individual hole.

I don't see your having a great problem and think you should be confident enough not to bother the R&A. If you cannot read the score at a hole clearly and without ambiguity, the player has not fulfilled his responsibility under R6-6 and is disqualified. Illegibility is the player's problem, not yours!

cheers, it took me a while to get there but someone understood me, (im writing my resignation letter as we type, dont ask but had enough bigslice ex vice captain)