Almost ever shot is going left now

Had a lesson yesterday and maybe 80% of my shots going left, instructor said he wasn't that bothered by it as it was between 4 and 10 something, cant remember exactly the word he used And he said all my shots were consistent and that was a good thing.
just back from the range and again easily 80% of my shots going left. I started aiming right to hit it straight down the middle but im guessing this is bad and i need to fix why im hitting almost everything left.
Also decided to note down how far i hit each club, do these numbers seem about right ? And my 3 wood is maybe at 25% success rate and drive maybe 50% at best.
A046B602-6845-452A-A3BA-EE4C26D8AED2.jpeg

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If your pro isn't bothered by them going left I'd assume that means you're doing a lot right and he'll be able to straighten you out easy enough. Those distances are a shade lower than average but you are still a beginner, they'll increase once your strike is more consistent.

Maybe its not lol just thinking if im always going left then something has to be wrong somewhere and I should fix that instead of aiming right knowing my balls not going to go right

D

Deleted member 1147

I know for my self that alignment can go awry, and therefore my aim is off. I aim my feet and body at the target rather than parallel to it, and it goes right as a result.
Conversely, perhaps you are just aiming further left than you thought, and that's why your Pro isn't too concerned at the moment.

Take a stance, at what you think is the correct line, and ask someone to lay a club down where you're aiming.

D

Deleted Member 1156

When you say 'going left' do you mean starting left and going lefter or starting straight/right and finishing left?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is it a pull or a hook?

For me, a pull usually means ball too far forward in the stance, but a hook means I am getting too handsy and not using the body to turn through the ball enough, so I work on turning hard through the ball and that tends to straighten it out.

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe its not lol just thinking if im always going left then something has to be wrong somewhere and I should fix that instead of aiming right knowing my balls not going to go right

Trust your pro.

Is very hard to do as you are focusing on the immediate outcome.

He's focusing on the bigger picture and has already said where you are right now is ideal.

I would suggest you do not try to fix it, do not look to the Internet for help, and maybe call your pro up and reaffirm what he wants you to do and what the plan is

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
When I got back into golf after injury, I was pulling a lot of my shots left. One lesson with my pro and he told me I wasn't opening the club face enough on the back swing. When the shaft was horizonal, the club face should have been pointing upwards. It was actually still partly closed. By correcting this and opening up the face more on the backswing, it cured the problem. Of course, this may not be the same issue with you.

When you say 'going left' do you mean starting left and going lefter or starting straight/right and finishing left?
I would say slightly left from the start my lw sw and pw and dead on straight just happens on the rest of the irons

Sam_R

Visit site
The most important thing to do is listen to your coach and practice any drills they give you. There are lots of aspects to a swing so they will work on one or two at a time. I'm sure they will have you hitting it straight (ish at least!) soon enough.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
When I got back into golf after injury, I was pulling a lot of my shots left. One lesson with my pro and he told me I wasn't opening the club face enough on the back swing. When the shaft was horizonal, the club face should have been pointing upwards. It was actually still partly closed. By correcting this and opening up the face more on the backswing, it cured the problem. Of course, this may not be the same issue with you.

Disagree big time.
But if you now hit it straight, don't fix it

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Those numbers seem strange, kinda too precise and all in nicely rounded increments from a wedge through to 3w. I suppose it has to land on some number but strange that its not 103, 113, 123, 133 etc or 98, 108, 118, 128 etc And the spacing, exactly 10yards right through, it’s a kind of accuracy I’d expect from a much more experienced player. How did you measure them?

If they’re just rounded up/down and guessed for general length and not a breath of wind I wouldn’t worry about how they seem to anyone else, as long as you know which club you want to hit

Those numbers seem strange, kinda too precise and all in nicely rounded increments from a wedge through to 3w. I suppose it has to land on some number but strange that its not 103, 113, 123, 133 etc or 98, 108, 118, 128 etc And the spacing, exactly 10yards right through, it’s a kind of accuracy I’d expect from a much more experienced player. How did you measure them?

If they’re just rounded up/down and guessed for general length and not a breath of wind I wouldn’t worry about how they seem to anyone else, as long as you know which club you want to hit
Measured at the rang there just ruff yards think i hit the driver 206 was my max but on average a good shot was around 200

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Measured at the rang there just ruff yards think i hit the driver 206 was my max but on average a good shot was around 200
If measured on the driving range then you might be slightly longer on the course. Driving range golf balls tend not to fly as far due to low quality.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

That's fine we all need some kind of guide, but its just estimates and therefore really only of use to you for the shot distance you might face, just focus on direction and consistency of strike so that its 8 out of 10 you're happy with instead of 2.5 out of 10

Sekiro

Visit site
My playing partners just tell me what club I need... they know more about my game than I do lol (I j/k but seriously, when I just started I would get club advice as I didn’t know my distances).

I think it’s a good thing to have a rough idea of what you’ll be hitting each club and as others have said you’ll increase in distance as you play more and get better (I’ve moved up a club so now my 8i is what my 7i was when I started in the summer).

The 4-10 could be degrees you are opening/closing the club face or maybe even the dispersion between your shots, hard for us to guess but if your pro isn’t worried about it then you shouldn’t be either. I believe (although correct me if I’m wrong) but most people struggle with poor shots causing the ball to go right, so that you are hitting it left might be a good thing and easier to work with (is the ball flight totally left, or are you shaping it left?).

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had a lesson in the summer where the pro had me hitting down the right side of the target. He quite clearly said he was not worried about shots I was hitting too far wide right. 'I can straighten that out easily enough' was his comment. Step one was getting the new swing path and removing a hook from the equation. I suspect the pro for the OP is doing a similar thing with him. Sorting out the main fault is step 1. Straightening out and refining is step 2, or 3 etc.