Allergy Time

Citizen

Visit site
Hi all,

Just wondering if many others suffer with hay fever and allergies and what you do to get around the course without turning into a sneezing swollen mess.

I have severe allergy to cut grass (hospital time when affected!) and actually had to leave a round today due to the green keepers mowing tee boxes & fairways well within 30 meters of golfers, at one point there were 2 of them at it, 1 either side!! Luckily I was not badly affected due to my antelope style swift exit.

I did wonder if this would be an issue when taking up the sport but was assured by a lifelong golfer that it would be fine and you`d rarely see the mowers, is that really the case? I know in an ideal world most mowing would be done early mornings and to be fair this is the first time it has been an issue as most courses I have never really see the mowers out or they are a few hundred meters away.

Maybe Winter golfing or artificial grass courses is the answer!!

JakeWS

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think it will just depend where you play, some courses it's extremely rare I see any Greenkeepers working, others they are there every day.

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mate,

I suffer quite badly with this . Last season I bought a tub of haymax, basically it is like Vaseline and you put it under and around your nostrils, this then stops the pollen getting in.

It worked for me but won't work for everyone. I had a sneeze free season and my eyes did not water/stream once.
Good luck .

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have suffered with hayfever quite badly for years. Im usually wiped out once it takes hold and I need to sleep for hours to get the symptons to clear off.

My doctor refused to prescribe or give me anything other than over the counter meds.

I had to take leave at one point last year it was so bad.

The only thing I have found that works is pirinase. Its a nasal spray with a bright orange cap. Take it in the morning before symptoms start and it keeps it away for a few days. Once the symptons kick in it wont work. I pop some citrizine to combat the itchy eyes and shower as soon as i get in.

Have to sleep with Windows closed too which is a bit difficult in summer.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Don't suffer myself, but one of my mates and his kids suffer really badly. He uses some electric thing which he clips to his nose first thing in the morning, lights the nose up like a beacon and was a source of immense laughter and banter on our boys trip to Portugal last year. He swears by it though.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I do notice it at this time of the year, mostly my eyes water, my nose is running and I occasionally have to sneaze as soon as I step outside (not just on the golf course, I also feel the symptons when I bike to work in the morning). But it is not too bad, so I never felt the need to take any medication for it or have it treated.