All things BBQ and Braai

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We have our big team event on Monday. Our South African members have got the run of the kitchen and BBQ and are cooking up a meal for afterwards and are promising a real meat feast as well as some creative vegetarian options. Really looking forward to authentic African meat cooked properly by those knowing what they are doing. The club being as "inventive" as ever have tagged it Out of Africa and all the teams are after African countries. I am captaining Botswana!!!

MACM85

Visit site
Cured a flat brisket this past week to do a pastrami on the Weber. This is how it turned out

PXL-20220427-073812711.jpg

PXL-20220427-190228618-MP.jpg

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Had a cracking couple of Bbq’s this weekend, did Chinese sticky ribs courtesy of the A&O website on both days, they went down a treat.
Slow cooked a brisket on Saturday and made beef dip sandwiches, Sunday I slow cooked a rib roast and again made beef dip sandwiches.
I’d say the rib took it by a nose over the brisket ?

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not a BBQ or Braai related post but I think Mrs Colch might ban me from attending her craft fairs from now on as I'm spending more than her profits. Last weekend was the East Anglia Game and Country Fair and I treated myself to this beauty..........

IMG_20220503_155355_752.jpg

This weekend was the Sandringham Food, Craft and Wood Festival and I treated myself to these......

IMG_20220502_195315_048.jpg

So beautifully balanced and wonderfully sharp. Offshore trip starts Thursday but then I'll be home for the summer and it will be pizzas all the way.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We have our big team event on Monday. Our South African members have got the run of the kitchen and BBQ and are cooking up a meal for afterwards and are promising a real meat feast as well as some creative vegetarian options. Really looking forward to authentic African meat cooked properly by those knowing what they are doing. The club being as "inventive" as ever have tagged it Out of Africa and all the teams are after African countries. I am captaining Botswana!!!

The South Africans put on a feast. Boerewors on the go at the 10th for a pick up which went down a treat and then a real meat lovers feast although the vegetarian curry in a hollowed out loaf was a revelation. Some excellent wines on offer as well

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Went on a BBQ course recently and plucked up the courage to do beer can chicken on my gas BBQ yesterday.

Absolutely amazing! Though I will alter the recipe I followed next time. Used a tarragon butter under the skin - far too tarragon-y! Will use plain butter next time.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To anyone with a pizza oven, or any device that uses wood pellets as fuel, does it matter which ones I get? I've had a look on Amazon and there's a massive difference in the prices. Can get 15kg for £15.99 right up to 10kg for almost £40 and everything in between. Does it make much of a difference? Will I be using twice as much of the cheaper ones compared to the more expensive ones? Is this a case of you get what you pay for and I should be looking at the more expensive ones?

1652114949074.png

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
To anyone with a pizza oven, or any device that uses wood pellets as fuel, does it matter which ones I get? I've had a look on Amazon and there's a massive difference in the prices. Can get 15kg for £15.99 right up to 10kg for almost £40 and everything in between. Does it make much of a difference? Will I be using twice as much of the cheaper ones compared to the more expensive ones? Is this a case of you get what you pay for and I should be looking at the more expensive ones?

View attachment 42538

I'm still using the Ooni ones I got direct from Ooni. They're £20 so don't pay double the price on Amazon.

MACM85

Visit site
Wow, how are you finding the volcano? I got one a few months ago but I haven’t tried it yet.

I have used the Vortex quite a bit and it is a great way to get the chicken cooked at a high heat with a crispy skin but still holding the flavour and not drying out the meat. I have used it when doing some Pork Belly strips. Crisps the fat lovely and renders down the meat too. Well worth a go

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have used the Vortex quite a bit and it is a great way to get the chicken cooked at a high heat with a crispy skin but still holding the flavour and not drying out the meat. I have used it when doing some Pork Belly strips. Crisps the fat lovely and renders down the meat too. Well worth a go

Sorry yes Vortex lol
Hmm, got me thinking now about this weekend’s potential bbq ?

MACM85

Visit site
Sorry yes Vortex lol
Hmm, got me thinking now about this weekend’s potential bbq ?

haha I have seen people call it all different things. It is a good bit of kit if you want to do wings. I generally get the coals hot. Stick them in the vortex and then let them get to temp for 10 or so mins. They stick the chicken in for 20 then rotate the chicken then for another 10-20 depending on internal temp for when they are ready.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Has anyone got a pellet smoker/grill?

I want something to smoke bigger cuts or larger quantities. My initial thought was an ugly drum. But a pellet smoker could be more versatile, although more expensive.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

I want something to smoke bigger cuts or larger quantities. My initial thought was an ugly drum. But a pellet smoker could be more versatile, although more expensive.

I’ve got a Masterbuilt Gravity 560, it’s not a pellet smoker but sort of works the same but with charcoal. I bought it around 18 months ago and I haven’t touched my Napoleon kettle bbq since. Cracking machine, smokes low and slow and you can crank it right up for char and sear ?

MACM85

Visit site

Depending what you are looking to smoke and quantity you can go all big boy and go with a smokey oak bbq but that will set you back £5k plus.

Traeger are a good option if you want pellet smoker.