All things BBQ and Braai

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Depending what you are looking to smoke and quantity you can go all big boy and go with a smokey oak bbq but that will set you back £5k plus.

Traeger are a good option if you want pellet smoker.

£5k is a bit steep. The other option is a Gozney Dome. There are Traeger and Weber pellet smokers all at a similar price.

MACM85

Visit site
Mrs fancied some skirt steak last night. Marinaded in Soy, Apple Vinegar, Garlic, chilli's. Stuck on the Go Anywhere for a couple of mins each side. Served with jacket potato and some veg. Simple but very enjoyable

skirt.jpg

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
E406844A-2C66-4A59-AAD6-08B20EA85484.jpegI’ve used my Vortex loads since seeing the recent post, it’s such a great weapon for the bbq. Currently attempting deep fried chicken, not sure how it will turn out but the YouTube vids look good lol.
The potatoes are going with a mustard and mayo dip ?

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve used my Vortex loads since seeing the recent post, it’s such a great weapon for the bbq. Currently attempting deep fried chicken, not sure how it will turn out but the YouTube vids look good lol.

What is a Vortex and what is the purpose of it?

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The vortex is like an upside down bowl with the bottom cut out, you place it over a pile of coals in the centre of the bbq. It concentrates the heat and gets the temperature really high, great to get the skin crispy on things like chicken wings .

Cheers. So I assume you put the meat, or whatever you're cooking, around the edge of the BBQ rather than over the Vortex in the middle? I guess it would burn if you placed it in the middle above the Vortex.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes exactly that, I put the spuds over the middle to finish off and they were blackened within minutes.

I just need to get myself a decent BBQ now. They had some at the event where I got my pizza oven. They were £880 for the egg style ones. I said I couldn't justify spending nearly £900 on a BBQ. The salesman said they were on a show offer of £780 and as I'd already bought the pizza oven he'd do it for £750. As we're saving to buy a house I just can't spend that kind of money on a BBQ at the minute especially as the cooking area was quite small. They were ok for a family of four but no good for entertaining on a larger scale.

MACM85

Visit site
View attachment 42687I’ve used my Vortex loads since seeing the recent post, it’s such a great weapon for the bbq. Currently attempting deep fried chicken, not sure how it will turn out but the YouTube vids look good lol.

Looks good, I have done KFC style chicken a few times and make sure the rub has a fair kick to it. Also worth sticking a bit of smoking wood on top of the grate over the vortex. Adds some decent flavour to the chicken

PXL-20210826-180927604.jpg

PXL-20220202-102514167.jpg

PXL-20220202-194319245-MP.jpg

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I just need to get myself a decent BBQ now. They had some at the event where I got my pizza oven. They were £880 for the egg style ones. I said I couldn't justify spending nearly £900 on a BBQ. The salesman said they were on a show offer of £780 and as I'd already bought the pizza oven he'd do it for £750. As we're saving to buy a house I just can't spend that kind of money on a BBQ at the minute especially as the cooking area was quite small. They were ok for a family of four but no good for entertaining on a larger scale.

I've got one of these, it's an exceptional bit of kit. I don't think there's a more versatile type of bbq.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/gardenline-kamado-ceramic-egg-bbq/p/710081596330401

I use it two or three times a week in the summer, sometimes more, and once a week in winter (cooking sunday roast chicken, so much better than oven cooked).

As you say, cooking area isn't massive if entertaining is your thing. I've never found it a problem but I rarely cook for more than my family of 4, and if I do, it's not more than 10 people and tends to be simple stuff (burgers, wings, etc) so also no problem.

MACM85

Visit site

Depending what you want to do with your BBQ, I would give the Weber Master Touch a shout as it is verstaile and can do the hot and fast cooks but can also do slow and low. Just depends what you're wanting to cook on it

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Looks good, I have done KFC style chicken a few times and make sure the rub has a fair kick to it. Also worth sticking a bit of smoking wood on top of the grate over the vortex. Adds some decent flavour to the chicken

PXL-20210826-180927604.jpg

PXL-20220202-102514167.jpg

PXL-20220202-194319245-MP.jpg

My chicken didn’t come out as nice as yours, I think the coating was too wet by the time I came to cook it. I also tried lighting the Vortex via a chimney full of hot coals, the bbq didn’t seem to get as hot as when I light from the bottom of the Vortex if that makes sense.
I took some more chicken out of the freezer this morning for another experiment tonight ?

MACM85

Visit site
My chicken didn’t come out as nice as yours, I think the coating was too wet by the time I came to cook it. I also tried lighting the Vortex via a chimney full of hot coals, the bbq didn’t seem to get as hot as when I light from the bottom of the Vortex if that makes sense.
I took some more chicken out of the freezer this morning for another experiment tonight ?

That is interesting as I light my coals in the chimney then pour them into the vortex. Generally leave them in the vortex with the top and bottom vent wide open for 10 or so mins to really heat everything up. What coal are you using?

How are you preparing the chicken? I have a receipe that I use, pretty simple, Get the chicken and leave overnight in the fridge marinading in Buttermilk, In the buttermilk I put some spices in and get them going into the chicken, Next day I get flour and more spice with salt and pepper, Take the chicken out of the fridge and dredge and make sure it is covered in flour, Leave on the side for 45mins to firm up, When I come back to it if there is wet patches I use the leftover flour to sprinkle the wet patches. Stick the chicken back into the fridge until 20 mins before cook then I get them out. When on the BBQ, I leave the chicken on there for 25 mins, Then check, If crisping I will rotate and turn them over to get an even coat all the way round.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
That is interesting as I light my coals in the chimney then pour them into the vortex. Generally leave them in the vortex with the top and bottom vent wide open for 10 or so mins to really heat everything up. What coal are you using?

How are you preparing the chicken? I have a receipe that I use, pretty simple, Get the chicken and leave overnight in the fridge marinading in Buttermilk, In the buttermilk I put some spices in and get them going into the chicken, Next day I get flour and more spice with salt and pepper, Take the chicken out of the fridge and dredge and make sure it is covered in flour, Leave on the side for 45mins to firm up, When I come back to it if there is wet patches I use the leftover flour to sprinkle the wet patches. Stick the chicken back into the fridge until 20 mins before cook then I get them out. When on the BBQ, I leave the chicken on there for 25 mins, Then check, If crisping I will rotate and turn them over to get an even coat all the way round.

I’m using Weber briquettes at the minute although I’m running low, in all honesty I think those cheaper B&Q briquettes are just as good.
I made a chilli sauce dip for the chicken then dredged in the peri peri mix (shop bought from Morrisons that works great in the deep fat fryer). I stacked them up on top of each other before cooking and I think that’s how they got wet, I need some sort of mesh stand thing to sit them on once I’ve dredged them.
Tesco at lunch time to visit the cooking section ?

MACM85

Visit site
I’m using Weber briquettes at the minute although I’m running low, in all honesty I think those cheaper B&Q briquettes are just as good.
I made a chilli sauce dip for the chicken then dredged in the peri peri mix (shop bought from Morrisons that works great in the deep fat fryer). I stacked them up on top of each other before cooking and I think that’s how they got wet, I need some sort of mesh stand thing to sit them on once I’ve dredged them.
Tesco at lunch time to visit the cooking section ?

I swear with the weber briquettes, I find some of the cheaper stuff gets too smokey. Other coal I use for hot and fast cooks is Big K Lumpwood

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I swear with the weber briquettes, I find some of the cheaper stuff gets too smokey. Other coal I use for hot and fast cooks is Big K Lumpwood

Yeah I like the Big K lumpwood but I found it burnt really quickly in my Masterbuilt, I always go for briquettes now. I’ll maybe pick up a few bags of lumpwood just to use on the kettle.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Yeah I like the Big K lumpwood but I found it burnt really quickly in my Masterbuilt, I always go for briquettes now. I’ll maybe pick up a few bags of lumpwood just to use on the kettle.

The Weber briquettes are very reliable and give a great burn, but I think youll struggle to get the desired high temp with them even in a vortex. I think you'll need to use lumpwood to get the desired temps.