Alignment

Scouser

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi all

I am having major problems with my alignment any tips?

After playing a shot that is hit cleanly I am left with a divot pointing towards the flag but the ball goes in a straight line to the right and goes so far off target its unbelievable. The lad I was playing with said the ball went where I was aiming.

What is the easiest was to align all your body to the flag.

I know its a simple question but my coach adjusted my alignment as I was too far left now at times I seem to be overcompensating.

Cheers

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
So, your aiming too far right?
The divots are straight?
The ball goes right?

Here's what I see...

An out to in swing that combines with an aim to the right is now a straight swing. (straight divots)
Clubface open will send the ball out to the right.
I would therefor suspect a grip issue which causes the clubface to be open at impact.

Do you know if your grip is neutral/weak/strong?

Others on here will probably give you tips on changing your alignment, but you will then also need to fix your grip and swingpath.

HTH :)

Scouser

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi Bob cheers for the reply.... as far as I know my grip is ok (my pro is happy with it) this type of shot only happens every now and again but when it does it ridiculous.

Could it that because of my alignment I am deliberately swinging out to in ( in a kind of subconscious way if that make sense)

My swing path had been altered by the pro and the last lessen I had was about taking a divot. It since taking the divot that this has happened .................

I hate golf!

T

thecraw

Without blowing Mr McArthurs trumpet even further I find that the V-easy is a great alignment aid. It automatically gives you the train track alignment. Easier and more convenient than alignment sticks in my opinion.

Scouser

Tour Winner
Visit site
Without blowing Mr McArthurs trumpet even further I find that the V-easy is a great alignment aid. It automatically gives you the train track alignment. Easier and more convenient than alignment sticks in my opinion.

Thanks TC but with out getting him even more big headed I bought one direct from him :eek: Its on the course I have the problem and I know for a fact I have an issue aligning the top half of my body ....

T

thecraw

You can use it on the course in bounce games to aid you and get the muscle memory working.

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
The last couple of practice rounds I've been using a couple of techniques. First using a longish broken tee I place about an inch infront of the ball pointing in the direction I'm aiming at. I feel this helps me align my club face better, especially off the tee. Second once at address just place the shaft of your club along my toe line if you like, quick step back and check where I'm actually aiming. It can be quite shocking sometimes! The results have been great just a pity I can't use it when it counts but it def helping me with the feel of it.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A good aid to alignment is to address the ball then take your right hand off the club, lay your right arm across your chest with your index finger pointing down the line of your shoulders. It should be pointing parallel left of the target. If it's not then adjust your feet to bring it inline.

Bob has already explained that your grip and swingpath also needs looking at. A bit to take on but get the fundimentals right and you are best part there.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Alignment is not one of the 5 laws therefor .....
YOU DO NOT HAVE TO AIM STRAIGHT TO HIT THE BALL STRAIGHT. (I typed that slowly as I know some of you can't read fast) ;)
The next time you get a chance, film your swing from behind and see if your feet and shoulders point in the same direction.
What I mean is your feet may be pointing right but your shoulders could be straight. That may explain why your divots are straight.

Here's a general tip for those of you who have trouble with alignment.

Firstly, set up to the ball with your V-Easy or tour stick/clubshaft so you know you are aiming straight.
Take your address position and then without standing up, swivel your head to look at your target.
You will also see your shoulder in your peripheral vision.
REMEMBER THAT VIEW.
Then, when you're on the course and you look at your target, try and recreate the same view.
If the gap between your shoulder and your target is too small, you're aiming too far right. Too big a gap and your aiming too far left.

In the fist picture the aim is straight, the second too far right and lastly too far left

straight.jpgright.jpgleft.jpg

Hope that makes sense

Scouser

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi all

Thanks for the advice and tips / drills.

Bob those pictures are spot on cheers. One question though what are the "5 laws"?

Cheers

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Its nothing to do with shoulder alignment.
It's about aligning your feet.
The shoulder position is just a reference to make sure your feet are straight.

if your only seeing your shoulder in your peripheral vision and using that solely to align yourself can you explain (genuinly interested as I also have alignment issues) how this aligns your feet etc as well.

thank you

*edit* re-read your post as I'm a tad slow on the uptake and didnt realise you had already placed sticks for the feet.

Last edited:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Firstly, set up to the ball with your V-Easy or tour stick/clubshaft so you know you are aiming straight.
Take your address position and then without standing up, swivel your head to look at your target.
You will also see your shoulder in your peripheral vision.
REMEMBER THAT VIEW.

Then, when you're on the course and you look at your target, try and recreate the same view.

So when you know you are aiming straight, memorize the view. Then do the same on the course.

The 5 ball flight laws are what directly affect the flight of the ball.
Speed
Hitting the sweet spot
Clubface angle at impact
Swingpath
Angle of attack.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This is what helps me.

Align the clubface with the target.
Align my feet to the clubface.
Check my shoulder alignment with the arm across chest method.