Airport club hire shops ???

Fozzie

Club Champion
Visit site
I'm heading off for another jaunt over to Spain in 3 weeks & might take in a round or 2. Before I've taken my clubs, but on my last visit I saw a hire shop at Malaga airport. I believe there's also one at Faro. Has any GM forumers used this service & is it (& the clubs) any good ?

D

Deleted member 1740

I'm heading off for another jaunt over to Spain in 3 weeks & might take in a round or 2. Before I've taken my clubs, but on my last visit I saw a hire shop at Malaga airport. I believe there's also one at Faro. Has any GM forumers used this service & is it (& the clubs) any good ?

I've not used it though i read somewhere Paul Mcginley owns it and the clubs are mostly TMs.

How much does your airline want to charge for taking your gear?

Cheifi0

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Last time I went to Malaga we used a hire company. You choose from a variety of sets that were mainly Wilson callaway and Taylormade which were relatively up to date. The clubs were in good nick and it was a simple process, I would use the service again. The only thing was I thought the shop was in the actual airport but it was 500m away on a side street. We actually drive past it a couple of times. I think that was clubs clubstohire.com

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
just ordered jpx825 driver woods and irons plus an md60 wedge for Saturday at faro airport. £50 for the week.

cant complain!

D

Deleted member 1740

just ordered jpx825 driver woods and irons plus an md60 wedge for Saturday at faro airport. £50 for the week.

cant complain!

That's a bargain, it would cost more for you to take your own clubs on a flight.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That's a bargain, it would cost more for you to take your own clubs on a flight.

... guide to the current charges from leading airlines. These prices are always subject to change.

Airline Fees for golf equipment

Aer Lingus € 60 return
BMI baby € 45 return
Easy Jet € 60 return
Flybe € 60 return
Flyglobespan € 45 return
FlyMonarch € 60 return
Jet 2 € 45 return
Ryanair € 100 return
Thomsonfly € 45 return
Lufthansa € 75 return
Air Berlin €120 return

it was a no brainer really. my mate used them last year. he loved the rocketballs irons but said he missed his own wedges.

D

Deleted member 1740

... guide to the current charges from leading airlines. These prices are always subject to change.

Aer Lingus € 60 return
BMI baby € 45 return
Easy Jet € 60 return
Flybe € 60 return
Flyglobespan € 45 return
FlyMonarch € 60 return
Jet 2 € 45 return
Ryanair € 100 return
Thomsonfly € 45 return
Lufthansa € 75 return
Air Berlin €120 return

it was a no brainer really. my mate used them last year. he loved the rocketballs irons but said he missed his own wedges.

Some very exhortionate prices there, you've certainly got a good deal.

Whereabouts you going?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
my brother tells me Ryanair has doubled their prices in the last few years.

im heading to vilamoura in Portugal. swimming in golf courses. I have not decided which ones to play yet. I hear there is a place near the marina where I can book so hoping to get a few decent twilight deals.

NST

Head Pro
Visit site

Aer Lingus € 60 return
BMI baby € 45 return
Easy Jet € 60 return
Flybe € 60 return
Flyglobespan € 45 return
FlyMonarch € 60 return
Jet 2 € 45 return
Ryanair € 100 return
Thomsonfly € 45 return
Lufthansa € 75 return
Air Berlin €120 return

The exact reason I have a set of matching clubs that I keep in Spain. It does make upgrading a pain as I need two of everything.

Fozzie

Club Champion
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm flying with Easyjet, I only paid £60 for my flight so understandably I don't want to pay as much just to take my clubs out there. So I will probably use this service if I get round to playing. Torrequebrada is close to where I'm staying & I haven't played that since I've been a regular golfer again. Last time I played there it was my first round for about 3 months & it beat me up ! I'm also thinking about playing Le Parador in Malaga. It's one of the oldest in the area, so I might give that a go.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I recall reading on a couple of the hire sites that they typically supplied....lets call them 'replica' clubs

Has anyone hired a set of irons to match their home set and found any difference in quality?

BoadieBroadus

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
i'm just back from vilamoura and used clubstohire to rent two sets of clubs for the week. pretty good service, the irons and woods were the r11's and pretty good condition, though they probably needed regripped after a couple of seasons' use. they only supply 13 clubs so you get the set sand wedge and pitching wedge rather than a gap and lob wedge.

the putter was a bit of a mare though. it had really seen some action and it seemed to be slightly out of alignment to me. (that's my excuse and i'm sticking to it.) but overall if you're playing recreational holiday golf the service is very good. clubs were definitely the real deal.

Yosser

Assistant Pro
Visit site
my brother tells me Ryanair has doubled their prices in the last few years.

im heading to vilamoura in Portugal. swimming in golf courses. I have not decided which ones to play yet. I hear there is a place near the marina where I can book so hoping to get a few decent twilight deals.

Try teetimes.pt, you can see the green fees and pre-book your rounds.

Yosser

Assistant Pro
Visit site
i'm just back from vilamoura and used clubstohire to rent two sets of clubs for the week. pretty good service, the irons and woods were the r11's and pretty good condition, though they probably needed regripped after a couple of seasons' use. they only supply 13 clubs so you get the set sand wedge and pitching wedge rather than a gap and lob wedge.

the putter was a bit of a mare though. it had really seen some action and it seemed to be slightly out of alignment to me. (that's my excuse and i'm sticking to it.) but overall if you're playing recreational holiday golf the service is very good. clubs were definitely the real deal.

Used them twice, great convenient service with the advantage that you don't have to pack/handle or worry about damage to your own clubs during transport. I've had RBZ 1's and RBZ 2+RocketBladez which were all in good nick, as you say some of the putters look a little ropey but I considered this to have been more cosmetic with the paint being damaged. I think this is due to the fact that the putter covers keep getting lost and they've basically given up replacing them. I'd use them again, but would probably go for an older set that included more long irons rather than woods and hydrids, just a personal preference really.

SimonS

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Aer Lingus € 60 return
BMI baby € 45 return
Easy Jet € 60 return
Flybe € 60 return
Flyglobespan € 45 return
FlyMonarch € 60 return
Jet 2 € 45 return
Ryanair € 100 return
Thomsonfly € 45 return
Lufthansa € 75 return
Air Berlin €120 return

That is a very old list. Thomsonfly ceased to exist in November 2008, Globespan in December 2009 and BMI Baby September 2012.

Edit to add:-

Currently (24/9/13)

Golf clubs go free on the following (there may be others)

British Airways, KLM & Air France - golf clubs can be counted as part of your baggage allowance.
Emirates - One set of golf clubs in addition to your standard baggage allowance

Last edited:

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Was in the Algarve last week staying and playing at Penina with the missus - hired clubs from www.clubsforhire.com - paid 55 euros for the week for Taylor Made R11s - when I arrived at Faro airport and went to the shop (which you can't miss - it's in the main concourse) they asked if I'd like a free upgrade to Rocketbladez which were 60 euros to hire on their site - came with Odessey putter, though they said we could change for another if the putter didn't suit us - clubs were in great nick.

First time I'd used clubsforhire (one of my mates had used them in April) and I'd reccommend them - had the clubs and was out of the airport within minutes and drop off at the end of the week took less than a minute - lad basically counted the clubs and said "Ok that's fine"

tallpaul

Head Pro
Visit site
Depending on how much golf you plan to play, it may be worth hiring from the course. I played the Oceanico Old Course last year and for 10 euros I hired a full set of 712 AP1's, 910D driver & 3 w, Scotty SW and Scotty putter.

This year, it appears you can rent clubs for up to 7 rounds for 50 euros (or 20 euros for a single round).

Also, the best deals on green fees may be direct with the course rather than your Hotel or a local agent.

BoadieBroadus

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
i did look at prices from the green fee agent near the marina cf booking at the course. the agent was only about 3 euros cheaper, so not massive bargains to be had.