Air Shot

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Wait. If you hit an air shot it still counts as a shot? So her drive off the tee was officially a second shot??

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Wait. If you hit an air shot it still counts as a shot? So her drive off the tee was officially a second shot??

Yes, you made an intentional swing at the ball, any air shot counts as a stroke.

I had 1 on Sunday, but at least I was in the middle of a Willow tree, all the strands of the willow were hanging down all around where my ball was, I took a couple of casual back swings which seemed OK, but then when I unleashed I got tangled up like being wrapped up in an alien Ivy, it was funny but I could have broke my wrist as the strands of willow just stopped me in my tracks!

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de

Yes, there was actually a bit of discussion on this one by the tv commentators, because it was not clear if she had intended to miss the ball because something distracted her and she tried to pull out of the shot (in which case it would not have counted as a shot). But it was ruled (presumably after asking her about it) that it was a shot and she had intended to hit the ball and just missed it (in which case it counts as a shot).

D

Deleted member 21258

Feel for her, a waste of a shot.

Saw Paul Casey badly top a ball on the par 5 dogleg(15thish), badly got off the ground, to my surprise he was laughing about it as he walked down the hole.

Interesting point by Garryinderry, never understood why you didn't but makes perfect sense now.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Her right foot definitely moved...and it looks like there are cleats on her shoes
Her foot slipped very slightly, but it didn't look like enough to make her miss the ball completely. You'd have thought she'd still catch it with the toe or heel or top it or something. Bizarre.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Feel for her, a waste of a shot.

Saw Paul Casey badly top a ball on the par 5 dogleg(15thish), badly got off the ground, to my surprise he was laughing about it as he walked down the hole.

Interesting point by Garryinderry, never understood why you didn't but makes perfect sense now.

I used to feel really bad taking big foot long divots on tee boxes and leaving them. makes sense though when you see what can happen.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
You learn something new every day.

standard advice...OK to fill divot holes using sand/seed mixtures often provided as you can see what has been repaired. Not so easy to spot the divot put back exactly where it came - stand on it without realising and a slip is always possible.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yes, you made an intentional swing at the ball, any air shot counts as a stroke.

I had 1 on Sunday, but at least I was in the middle of a Willow tree, all the strands of the willow were hanging down all around where my ball was, I took a couple of casual back swings which seemed OK, but then when I unleashed I got tangled up like being wrapped up in an alien Ivy, it was funny but I could have broke my wrist as the strands of willow just stopped me in my tracks!

Yes, there was actually a bit of discussion on this one by the tv commentators, because it was not clear if she had intended to miss the ball because something distracted her and she tried to pull out of the shot (in which case it would not have counted as a shot). But it was ruled (presumably after asking her about it) that it was a shot and she had intended to hit the ball and just missed it (in which case it counts as a shot).

Wow. Seems cruel, especially on the tee box considering you can knock the ball off the tee and not get penalised.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wow. Seems cruel, especially on the tee box considering you can knock the ball off the tee and not get penalised.

It does but it’s all in the rules. If you take a shot and just knock the ball off the tee then it’s the same boat.

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played Pleasington years ago pulled my second to 18th and ended up on first tee.
Playing over a bunker I took a huge divot out of the tee, good shot though.
I was shouted at by two members sitting outside having a pint for not replacing my divot.
I went over and explained why I didn’t replace a divot on the tee.
They more or less accused me of making it up.
I told them to go ask the pro .
They came back apologies were offered and they bought me a drink.
Every days a school day.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tiger did that on 13th I think at Augusta when a bird flew past him on his swing.