Aiming when driving...........

• Thread starter Deleted member 1147
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1147

Chaps & Chapesses,

When you hit a drive what do you aim at?

A specific piece of fairway, a landmark in the distance, one half of the fairway, or, just the fairway in general?

I've never really aimed that much - just happy to hit the short stuff - but have been told at a recent lesson to aim for the edge of the fairway and try to move the ball one way or the other.

The idea being that if you concentrate on shaping the ball it should mean you make a conscious effort not to do the opposite shape.
ie, aim down the left edge and hold off the hand movement. Means you make an effort not to turn the hands too much.
Worst that can happen, in theory, is that you hit it straight!

Any thoughts??

barb

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi Gil
I aim slightly off the centre of the fairway (depending if it's staight or dog leg) and bring that line back and pick a mark on the ground just infront of my tee and aim my driver at that. It seems to work for me, though not all of the time ;)

big_russ

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The Ball!!!!!!!!

Seriously, i try to aim at a point on the fairway where i want to start the ball at. Down the right for a draw or the left for a fade and then HOPEFULLY the ball will find its way to the middle(ish) of the fairway.

D

Deleted member 1147

I just used to look down the fairway and then smack it!

Sometimes I'm amazed I've done as well as I have!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm not a great one for moving the ball too much (mainly because I can't hit a fade) so I tee up on either side of the tee box and aim to play away from trouble or towards the dog leg.

If I have to aim at something it is normally a bunker or a tree on the skyline

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
pick a line to a target at the end of the fairway. find a mark on that line that's within eyeshot when addressing the ball and align on that (if necessary move your tee). one slow head turn to check the line then keep your head down.
much the same as when I putt.

D

Deleted member 1147

Interesting thread Tomo.

I'm one of those that didn't aim!

I'll have to try out your method sometime!

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was asked on a course the other day "why do you always tee up a yard behind the tee markers?" Because...

I look down the fairway to envisage where I want the ball to land - precisely where depends on the hole. I then tee up the ball about a yard behind a divot (or other identifiable mark) on the tee - so that ball, divot and intended landing spot are all in line. Can then forget the target and just concentrate on lining up with, getting square to, etc, the chosen divot. One good smack and Bob's your uncle - march down the fairway and look in the rough for your ball.

Gazzery

Club Champion
Visit site
I try and pick out a large target in the distance slightly to the left to allow for the fade and line it up with a mark on the tee, prob is some times i do hit a straight 1 and find myself in a bit of bother, but i dont only do this off the tee, but from the fairway as well which has helped my GIR

andiritchie

Journeyman Pro
HOTMAIL.COM
i aim at trees buildings anything that is raised if possible,as course desginers can play with you mind making it hard to align up properly,if i cant align to a raised odject i move to either side of the tee box and aim down the right or left side of the fairway depending

EchtLoon

Challenge Tour Pro
www.thehomeofpoker.co.uk
pick a line to a target at the end of the fairway. find a mark on that line that's within eyeshot when addressing the ball and align on that (if necessary move your tee). one slow head turn to check the line then keep your head down.
much the same as when I putt.
Agree with Viscount, I'm aiming at a point about a foot ahead of the ball usually, and try to do likewise on the greens, although especially on good greens it can be difficult to find a distinguishing mark.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I look down the fairway to envisage where I want the ball to land - precisely where depends on the hole. I then tee up the ball about a yard behind a divot (or other identifiable mark) on the tee - so that ball, divot and intended landing spot are all in line.

It's a good method.....I use this one a fair bit too. Takes a bit of practice though.

hellbunker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
agree with viscount and echtloon...i will assess conditions the width of fairway, how i have been driving and pick a spot where i want the ball to land. I will then trace back to my ball and pick a spot about a yard ahead of the ball and hit the bas*ard as hard as i can...righ now i'm at 63% fairways in regulation for the season...which i think is ok...