• 70’s

Votes: 10 5.5%
  • 80 +

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I have a question for the older people on the forum, at what age did you start to notice a significant drop off in distance and swing speeds ?

I wondered where this question was going until I got to the words distance and swing speeds!!!:LOL:

I'm mid 50's...hasnt happened yet...in fact one of the lads remarked the other day about how I was hitting the ball further than he'd seen before.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I have a question for the older people on the forum, at what age did you start to notice a significant drop off in distance and swing speeds ?
I haven't noticed, but that doesn't mean it isn't happening, just don't care.
I've never had my swing speed measured and I can still reach all the par 4's in two shots, if hit correctly.
Early 60s and HI 4.5.
Fit as a fiddle, touch wood.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I have a question for the older people on the forum, at what age did you start to notice a significant drop-off in distance and swing speeds ?
I'm 64 and up until a year ago I'd have said no change, but this year has been different, everything has been tougher including golf. There is no real drop off in distance, but the consistency is no longer there, and I'm putting it down to the physical act of swinging the club.
The handicap is still the same, 8.2, mainly due to one fabulous round mid-season, but next year will be really interesting. When I'm feeling mentally and physically up for it I'm still "a player", but it doesn't take much (a week of grandchildren) to see me struggling to put together a round without a disaster hole or two.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I’m 64 and hoping that the changes I’ve been working on for about a year now (since hanging up my working boots) will see me improve consistency (my distance is fine and adequate for most circumstances) and knock a couple off my HI and get down to about 6 next year. My lowest ever was 6 - about 30yrs ago.

NearHull

Visit site
I joined my club ( after retiring and relocating up t’north) 7 years ago. I had to requalify my handicap and was given 10. Since then I have steadily increased up to an HI of 14. My short game has improved, mainly because of the difficulty of our greens compared to my last club, but my distance has reduced, most markedly this year. I celebrated my 70th birthday in the summer.
I am just finishing a group of lessons, where my main aim was to try to regain distance. I feel that i am getting some distance back lately , hopefully I’ll see some handicap reduction in the next year.

sunshine

Visit site

Late 30s.

In my 20s I used to go to the gym 4 times a week, play football twice a week, I was stronger, fitter and more flexible, naturally I had a lot more swing speed.

HPIMG

Visit site
Late 30s.

In my 20s I used to go to the gym 4 times a week, play football twice a week, I was stronger, fitter and more flexible, naturally I had a lot more swing speed.
I am surprised most people say they haven’t seen any drop off or not until 70. I play with a good golfer every now and again, he’s just turned 60 and still very fit and a good golfer but he said around 44/45 he noticed a drop off. I think he was 4 hc and now plays off 9

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For me I am 65 now.
The real spurt in technology happened just as my speed lowered a bit ( it’s still 98mph driver) so kept my length up a bit.
I noticed in my middle 50s that my irons were getting shorter but driver was ok.
But the last three years I have dropped about 10yds off the tee.
I was generally up with the lads I play with 1/5/7 cappers but now I always play second shots first.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Turned 65 this year. Golf has improved no end this year and now hitting it further & better than I have ever done. And handicap is at its lowest ever (in about 30 odd years of playing).
Yes at 65 I am not as long as I was but think I am a better golfer.
I don’t make the stupid mistakes I used to.

sunshine

Visit site
I am surprised most people say they haven’t seen any drop off or not until 70. I play with a good golfer every now and again, he’s just turned 60 and still very fit and a good golfer but he said around 44/45 he noticed a drop off. I think he was 4 hc and now plays off 9

Agreed. Look at the young fit golfers on tour, no way will they be bombing it 300+ yards in their 60s and 70s ?

I know we’re discussing amateurs, but the same principle applies. Maybe the guys commenting that they have lost no length only started playing in their 50s?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Agreed. Look at the young fit golfers on tour, no way will they be bombing it 300+ yards in their 60s and 70s ?

I know we’re discussing amateurs, but the same principle applies. Maybe the guys commenting that they have lost no length only started playing in their 50s?

More likely, like me, they started playing with persimmon heads, bladed irons, wound balls and heavyweight steel shafts. The advances in technology have allowed them to retain the distance they had with their more primitive equipment