After match presentation

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Or just don’t collect the prize. By all means enter the comp, enjoy it. That’s what I would probably do.

Quite right......presentation evenings after every tuppenny ha'penny competition is a bit old fashioned nowadays.

At one of my old clubs had three presentation nights a year after the three main tournaments.
Prizes for competitions/medals etc between the periods were then presented.
Packed clubhouse and three good social nights which nobody wanted to miss.

Surprised to hear that some clubs charge members to enter competitions.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Our club knocked its presentation evening on the head about 4 years ago. Now the presentations are made after a Shotgun start comp just before Christmas.

The club house is full and “relaxed”, and it is a much nicer environment to recognise the winners.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Quite right......presentation evenings after every tuppenny ha'penny competition is a bit old fashioned nowadays.

At one of my old clubs had three presentation nights a year after the three main tournaments.
Prizes for competitions/medals etc between the periods were then presented.
Packed clubhouse and three good social nights which nobody wanted to miss.

I thought all clubs charged. Ours is £2, £1 into a sweep , £1 goes towards engraving, New trophies etc. Never more than this. Seems fair. The alternative is it gets bundled into your fees and people who don't play competitions have to pay for something they don't use. User pays.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
I thought all clubs charged. Ours is £2, £1 into a sweep , £1 goes towards engraving, New trophies etc. Never more than this. Seems fair. The alternative is it gets bundled into your fees and people who don't play competitions have to pay for something they don't use. User pays.

Something tells me this is going to be spun as something that naughty English golf clubs do that benevolent Scottish ones don't. Could be wrong...

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I certainly like the idea of having a trophy presentation after the event. Not necessarily an evening event, but if the winner is on site then just a simple presentation, reading out the players who have placed as well.

Not something to replace the prize giving and definitely not something that is compulsory. Albeit, it does put a bit of pressure on match secretary to be onsite.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I would be more surprised to hear that some clubs do not, particularly when there is a trophy involved. Individual tropy to the winner and engraving costs on that and the club trophy probably work out around £20 with a slightly lesser amount for the runner up.

I have been pushing for an end to runner up trophies (they do get prize money) as they are the most uncollected, there are still some in our office from last Decembers presentation ceremony.