Wrong ball in match play discovered after a concession

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hi, I think I've figured this one out now but we were unsure at the time so thought I'd ask here for some confirmation.
Scenario: matchplay Player A lies 6 on the green. Player B is pin high in the deep rough in 2 and hacks out to 5 feet. Player A concedes the hole and they move to the next tee.
Before teeing off, Player B notices his ball in not his Titleist 4 but another Titleist 4, so he played a wrong ball from the rough prior to the concession.
The penalty for wrong ball in match play is loss of hole. What should the decision be?

Last edited:

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thanks Colin, that's the conclusion I came to after the fact but wasn't sure in the heat of the moment.

For future reference, would it have made a difference if the wrong ball issue had only been discovered after play on the next hole had begun ?

*TQ*

Club Champion
Visit site
Thanks Colin, that's the conclusion I came to after the fact but wasn't sure in the heat of the moment.

For future reference, would it have made a difference if the wrong ball issue had only been discovered after play on the next hole had begun ?

Interesting thought what if he hadn't noticed until the match was finished? What if conceding the hole meant conceding the match but he noticed on his was back to the clubhouse?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

No, just changes the time line for a valid claim (if it came to that)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interesting thought what if he hadn't noticed until the match was finished? What if conceding the hole meant conceding the match but he noticed on his was back to the clubhouse?
Apart from changing the time line, the only time the issue is completely closed is if the player only notices he played a wrong ball after the match result is posted.