Advice on short putts please..

19th

Head Pro
Visit site
Looking at the mechanics of a short putt, it is my opinion - this from someone who has only recently mastered the art of putting,due to our friend Bob - that you either have to have the ball back a bit in the stance where the face will be square, or, as someone else has said, normal slightly forward position and swing up through the ball. This is not for top spin, although that will happen, it is to allow the club head to carry on towards the intended target with the face held square to the line.

Short putts, clubhead kept low through stroke, clubface apt to turn as you extend towards hole.

Or

Rap it in with no fear and no follow through!

BushFinder

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for all you comments guys!

I do use a line on the ball, short backswing and hit through the ball.
I recently have started to dip my right shoulder at address, and this has really made a big difference to the way the ball rolls.

Not sure why the short ones are a problem, perhaps there is an adjustment I should be making...

BushFinder

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
In recent months my short putting was a lot better by taking the club back very, very, very, very slowly so that I remain in control of the clubface, and then accelerate through towards the hole nicely every time.

I've seen people get a bit snatchy or 'loopy' even on little 2 foot putts.... too much swing in my opinion. Back slow and push through.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
I do two things. First tell myself every time to set up right and trust to technique. Second, I pick a spot 6 inches in front of the hole on the line and concentrate on that small spot rather then the hole itself. If I hit this spot it can't miss and if I'm close it will probably still drop.

Most importantly, if it does miss then I just accept it and do the same routine next time. It can't have been down to me after all :D

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don't know how anyone picks a bit of grass in front of the ball. By the time I've picked it from behind the ball and stood over the putt I can't see it any more!! :eek:

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd been missing a few short ones recently and our assistant suggested putting a tee peg in around a flat hole on the practice green at 12, 9, 6 & 3 o'clock (waiting for inevitable comment:)) at 3 feet.

Then work your way round to see how many you can hole out in succession. First time out I could only get to 22. Now I'm up to 40. It is surprisingly difficult and the nerves over the last few when you're nearing a PB are remarkably similar to having to hole out on the course.