Advice on Irons

ttheyid

Visit site
Hi All,hoping for a bit of advice

I am an 11 handicapper but my worst part of my game is my iron striking, it is something I am going to work on this year. I am lookingto get a set of irons upto 3/4 years old max that are a forgiving set without being massive cavity backs. Have been playing AP2s but just feel I want a bit more forgiveness for my poor play! Is there anything out there that fits into that cetegory? My initial thought was AP3s? (PS I do not give two hoots what brand they are)

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
You're a far better golfer than I, so take the following with as much salt as you'd like!

I'd be tempted to go to somewhere like golf bidder. Set your max budget, and work from there. clubs you like the look of, start to look at reviews and then start to hone in on a choice of 2/3 sets maybe. The joy of somewhere like golf bidder is that (providing you've got the cash for the outlay, of course!) you could buy 3 full sets of irons and give them a go on the course. Their returns policy is second to none.

The other question is what is about your play that's poor? AP2s are great clubs. I'd be looking at that area first.

Boomy

Visit site
I would say AP2’s are a pretty forgiving club (I also play AP2’s) Personally I’d invest the money in some guidance on your ball striking rather than a set of irons - long term it would be a much better investment and when you’re hitting the sweet spot on the AP2’s you’ll appreciate keeping them.

Hoganman1

Visit site
I agree that a lesson might be a good idea, but if you want to change; I'd look at Mizuno's JPX series. I switched to Mizunos back in 2015 and I really like them. I'm 71 with a 12 handicap right now, but played to a 9 last summer. I recently switched from JPX 850 forged with steel shafts to JPX 900 forged with graphite shafts about a month ago. It's been cold and wet here in NC so I cannot really tell much, but I think they're going to work just fine.
You should be able to find a preowned set online for a reasonable price. My set cost around $900 for 4 through GW. A new set would probably cost around $1400.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
AP2's are a quality set and what I had up to a couple of years ago. I'd probably look at Ping for "easier to hit" clubs and buy the most up to date game improver clubs you can justify spending on.

Funny about opinion though, I played with our esteemed leader on here (Mike Harris) when I was off about 10 h/c and asked what he thought was stopping me from being single figure and one of the answers was that I was playing JPX 850 forged which he felt were hard to hit - funny that Hoganman's opinion is quite the opposite and exactly what will happen here 'one man's meat" and all that !

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
The biggest change in my iron striking came from watching Chris Ryan Gold videos on YouTube.

Changing your irons won’t improve your striking, it will just improve some of your medium bad shots. It may still improve your score a little though.

Last edited:

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
have a look at the srixon z585's.

i was used to playing mizuno blades so wasn't keen on going to a cavity back but these are forged, easy to hit and go miles

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
AP3s are as good as any I used then for 3 years. Also had success with taylormade P790s and they hold their value well too.

I'd probably go with the Srixon 585s, look and perform great and normally a bargain!

gopher99

Visit site
I used the ap3’s for just over 3 years as well, really nice clubs. I have just bought some Mizuno 921 forged clubs, looking forward to using them out whenever they arrive and I can get out for a round.

Boomy

Visit site
Much prefer the idea of building a lasting golf swing and quality strike... it’s the harder option but much more rewarding!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would look at the Ping G Series.

My mate (9 handicap) has been going through a similar process over the past couple of and finally settled on G410.

Looking at something similar myself to move form Mizuno 900 Tours, but I decided to go back I have I25 and TM PSi forged irons waiting for things to restart.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Okay, so you're going to work on your game, so there's no need for me to be harping on about lessons or practice!

3-4 years old? Helpful, but not massive cavity backed.... I'd look at TM P790/ Cobra King Forged Tec, Titleist AP3, Callaway Apex, Ping I500, Srixon 545's, Mizuno JPX 900 Forged or hollow backed irons Lynx VT are a nice set (save the lynx logo which looks terrible, again this is my opinion, not fact!)

Honestly I'd pay that little extra and get a new fitted set of irons - obviously you're the master of that decision, but if you get fitted properly (IMHO) then the fitting should be a lesson with equipment in the mix. See what suits you.

I was in a similar boat a year or two ago and got fitted, during my fitting my pro got me transferring my weight better and I'd say iron play is now one of my strongest part of the game. I also tried a various sets and was surprised at what I thought I needed and what I ended up with.

Good luck hope it works out.

Last edited:

Hoganman1

Visit site
AP2's are a quality set and what I had up to a couple of years ago. I'd probably look at Ping for "easier to hit" clubs and buy the most up to date game improver clubs you can justify spending on.

Funny about opinion though, I played with our esteemed leader on here (Mike Harris) when I was off about 10 h/c and asked what he thought was stopping me from being single figure and one of the answers was that I was playing JPX 850 forged which he felt were hard to hit - funny that Hoganman's opinion is quite the opposite and exactly what will happen here 'one man's meat" and all that !

That is interesting. You're right that what works for me won't necessarily work for someone else. I've heard that Pings are very forgiving. I went with Mizunos after playing Hogan irons for years. One of our pros did the original fitting and chose the JPX 850s because they were more forgiving than my Hogans. Having a proper fitting is probably the best route for the OP. The problem is most fitters are not going to fit someone for a set that is two or three years old. It took me quite awhile to find a set with graphite shafts that closely matched the specs of the JPX 850s from my original fitting.

ttheyid

Visit site
Thanks for replies will have a look through

A note on the lessons, I coimpletely agree, thats why I am not brand orientated because I know theres only so much a club can do - its 90% about the moron holding them!. My situation is I am so busy with work most free time is spent on the course with friends doing what I enjoy! I know my faults but just dont have the timeto work on them, so just want something that is half forgiving but not looking like a brick behind the ball!

I remember playing with a set of Ping (must have been G-series) I hired when I had a game in Dubai and my lasting thought was how big and clumpy they looked at address. I guess thats the price you pay for forgiveness I just didnt know if theres a popular "in between" club that doesnt look huge whilst still suiting choppers like myself!

Thanks again will read through each reply and look!

ttheyid

Visit site
This problem with you irons, is it poor contact or wrong direction?
Poor contact in several directions hahaha!

I pretty much slide my hips, push my arse foward (isit called early extension or something) and often get handsy to then save the shot so obviously when i do get it right and I am still handsy it can be a huge hook, whereas if i early extend* and dont save it with the hands it can be a big right lol

I just dont currently have the time to hit the range and after a hard week at work you want to get on the course withyour friends enjoying it!

D

Deleted member 3432

Poor contact in several directions hahaha!

I pretty much slide my hips, push my arse foward (isit called early extension or something) and often get handsy to then save the shot so obviously when i do get it right and I am still handsy it can be a huge hook, whereas if i early extend* and dont save it with the hands it can be a big right lol

I just dont currently have the time to hit the range and after a hard week at work you want to get on the course withyour friends enjoying it!

New bats are not going to help any of that.

Been there done it, sort the swing out and you will get better quality strike and consistancy.

Hoganman1

Visit site
One tip that always works for me is to play shots with your feet together while warming up before your round. If you don't have time to get a lesson or to do practice sessions you can do that in your backyard with wiffle balls or without a ball. That drill will help with your balance and improve your ball striking. Everyone loves getting new clubs and we're all looking for that magic set that corrects all our flaws. Trust me. After playing for 50+ years and searching high and low. They ain't out there.

ttheyid

Visit site
Thanks again guys, as I say I am not looking for a set that will improve me, I just got bored in lockdown, sold my irons at a price I couldnt refuse and fancy treating myself to something a bit newer! lol

So just advice on whether there is a range that comes under the "forgiving" category but doesnt look like a big brick at address! lol

cheers thought great food for thought, I have about 4 weeks to sort!