Advice on irons off tees

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
I use an iron off the tee around 95% of the time and I never tee the ball up on a peg. 2 iron trough to gap wedge and I have never teed up for an iron. I just feel like the ball is too high off the ground. I try and find a nice little patch of fluffy grass and just let it rip.

D

Deleted member 1147

I always use a tee, in fact I thought that broken wooden tees were specially invented for me to use on par 3's. After all you only need it a small amount off the deck.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
The only time that I haven't used a tee on tee box is when its so frozen you can't begin to push one into the ground

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I always use a tee, in fact I thought that broken wooden tees were specially invented for me to use on par 3's. After all you only need it a small amount off the deck.
i wont use a full tee for irons shots!! i'll go as far as snapping a new one for an iron shot.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hank Haney always says - There is a reason you're only allowed to do it 18 times a round.

Never understand people that don't tee the ball up.
I have to agree although it probably depends on your swing. For me personally I tend to hit my 5, 6, 7 a bit thin if anything, so teeing it up just a couple of millimetres and taking my normal swing gives me a better chance of making really good contact.

If I was someone who regularly hits it fat instead, I would probably be less inclined to tee up every time.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have to agree although it probably depends on your swing. For me personally I tend to hit my 5, 6, 7 a bit thin if anything, so teeing it up just a couple of millimetres and taking my normal swing gives me a better chance of making really good contact.

If I was someone who regularly hits it fat instead, I would probably be less inclined to tee up every time.

i would think it would actually help someone who usually hits it fat....

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hank Haney always says - There is a reason you're only allowed to do it 18 times a round.

Never understand people that don't tee the ball up.

Sadly I do have sufficient insight into the human psyche to understand those that don't...
but generally those who make their living from their scores use a tee peg with all their irons!

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sadly I do have sufficient insight into the human psyche to understand those that don't...
but generally those who make their living from their scores use a tee peg with all their irons!

I’ve always said that about funky putting stances etc. There’s a reason the best don’t use it.....

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was taught to always use a tee but you were not trying to tee it up like you were hitting a wood, just high enough to be equal to a really good lie on the fairway.

If I was to use a castle tee I would only use the bright green or orange ones which give a teed height around 5mm max and then I would make sure they are sitting as flat as possible. Personally I prefer wooden tees which the only bit above ground is the very last slighter larger diameter section.

I play the shot in the same way I would as a fairway iron shot ie ball, then turf.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

I carry a pencil sharpener for the broken yellow wooden tees - just to make them look a bit nicer :)