Advice on irons off tees

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi All , might b a silly question to ye who have always did this , but.......
Iv been trying to practice playing par 3 tee shots off a tee , up to now ive played off the grass ,
i notice im hitting it higher and as a result shorter .. Should i b using a club more because im using a tee or am i maybe teeing it a fraction high ? Maybe angle of attack is wrong?
has any1 else changed like this ?
do u still compress the ball or sweep it off the tee ?

Gona try get it right over the winter so any tips would be appreciated
Thanks in advance ..

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Hi All , might b a silly question to ye who have always did this , but.......
Iv been trying to practice playing par 3 tee shots off a tee , up to now ive played off the grass ,
i notice im hitting it higher and as a result shorter .. Should i b using a club more because im using a tee or am i maybe teeing it a fraction high ? Maybe angle of attack is wrong?
has any1 else changed like this ?
do u still compress the ball or sweep it off the tee ?

Gona try get it right over the winter so any tips would be appreciated
Thanks in advance ..

Reason to use a tee for iron tee-shots is to get a 'perfect lie'!

Tee it as low or high as feels right. Whether that means AofA and subsequent flight and distance changes is down to all sorts of things - including the distinct Autumnal/towards Winter weather!

If you need more club, then use more club!

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
would spray the face to check whether the contact is a tad high on the face

if the the peg is a tad too high for the swing technique being used then could be adding more loft if the 'release' means the club head is arriving with at the same time as the hands/handle or before the hands/handle - so shaft looking from face on would either be vertical or leaning a tad aways from target - optimum being hands/handle leading a tad forwards leaning shaft with contact location on face being a tad below the vertical geometric center

because the ball is on a tee with irons wouldn't need to take an extra club just because the ball is teed up

but tee height with irons optimum would be the 'cup' of the tee peg almost in contact with the ground - so teed lower than most folks think - so with a good -AoA so not real steep but the lowest point of the swing arc is still target side of the ball
ball first even on a tee would mean at least scuffing the ground forwards of the ball to taking a divot

no don't really want to be thinking as a norm of 'sweeping' the ball off of the tee with irons
still looking to compress the ball - understanding that 'compress' just refers to optimum face contact with optimum AoA & optimum dynamic loft - 'compress' in golf terms never means compressing the ball against the ground

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I use the red (20mm) tee's and sometimes I find I strike the ball to high up on the irons face, I have tried the green (10mm) tee's but they just don't feel rite to me and I don't seem to get the ball flight that I'm looking for which is a touch odd as I'm happy with the ball flight I get off of the fairways without tee's... :confused:

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So not only does jack tee it up, he tees it up even higher than normal and sweeps it. No fats or thins. most likely comes in high and soft. Perfect for par 3 approaches.

Going go try this myself. makes sense when you think about it.

for sure experiment

but would keep in mind big J is speaking to longer irons in the bag here - 1i to 5i

plus he had the ability to have the tee ball a tad higher but still have his swing arc bottom out after the ball in order to still 'compress' the ball with a center strike to be able to achieve distance & distance control as well as height - so his hands/handle would still be leading with a tad forwards lean to the shaft

his natural swing motion & club head speed also meant he could naturally hit the ball on a higher traj as a norm compared to most of his contemporaries & he was swinging most times to hit a kinda tad push fade as his go to norm shot pattern

teeing the ball a tad higher & controlling the swing arc to have centered contact is a common practice ground drill on tour - Westy seen doing it not that long ago - he would be doin it to regain control of the strike - it's a pretty difficult drill to succeed at & still get norm distance for iron used because it makes a sound center strike harder to achieve - but come playing time majority of players will tee down (unless looking to hit a particular shot because conditions more dictate that) as to why folks during tourney's see tees break a bunch or you see players using foot & club to kick the tee up as the only ways to remove it from the tee box out after the shot

- most index players have seen attempt the higher tee drill with irons have a hard time of achieving a center strike big tendency to slap it high off of the face or thin it

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Never used a tee as I feel I would need to adjust the swing slightly to get a perfect strike. You hit every other iron of the deck and I find it easier to continue with this mindset. I do of course place the ball on a lovely piece of grass

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
For all my irons I tee it up at the lowest possible height (so a small tee pushed all the way in) - just gets the ball a couple of millimetres off the ground, and I can pretty much take my normal iron swing, but with better chance of a good contact (less chance of hitting it thin). Ages ago I used to adjust height based on the length of iron, so longer ones I would try teeing them up slightly higher but that just made it much harder to hit it properly for me - I'd be getting right under them too much, or it would exacerbate more slice and send it miles right. I find it much easier to tee them all very low now.

I only carry two tees with me, pink barrel tees for the driver, and short regular tees for everything else. (With the 5 wood I will tee it fractionally higher than the irons but not by much.)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I always, always use a tee on Par 3s - as said - it gives me a perfect lie if I want to tee it low. These days I use a wee red tee for such as a 6i off the tee as I get a good strike and decent distance. Some may say that a wee red tee is too high for a 6i - but who's to know? I hit it nice and high and get about 160yds carry. And that does me just grand.

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I use the red (20mm) tee's and sometimes I find I strike the ball to high up on the irons face, I have tried the green (10mm) tee's but they just don't feel rite to me and I don't seem to get the ball flight that I'm looking for which is a touch odd as I'm happy with the ball flight I get off of the fairways without tee's... :confused:
Not trying to be an arse here, but try not buying castle tees

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’ve been told a few times I tee it quite high for iron tee shots.

This is actually intentional, just reduces margin for error for me.

I never use castle tees, I use standard wooden ones so I can always get it the height I want rather than being restricted.

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I always, always use a tee on Par 3s - as said - it gives me a perfect lie if I want to tee it low. These days I use a wee red tee for such as a 6i off the tee as I get a good strike and decent distance. Some may say that a wee red tee is too high for a 6i - but who's to know? I hit it nice and high and get about 160yds carry. And that does me just grand.

I'm the same as you!
I use a nice high red castle tee, margin for error is much less. Just grab an extra club to allow for the extra height and less distance and hey presto!
Althought I do understand some folk like the idea of saying they hit an 8 iron into a par 3 rather than a 7iron so like to tee it lower!

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
Never used a tee as I feel I would need to adjust the swing slightly to get a perfect strike. You hit every other iron of the deck and I find it easier to continue with this mindset. I do of course place the ball on a lovely piece of grass

This. Never use a tee for an iron (including long irons), Just knock a little bit of turf up from an old divot and perch the ball on that. Always feel that I try to pick the ball of a tee with an iron, so prefer an on the deck lie to ensure nice strike.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I always thought that teeing a ball slightly higher can result in reduced distance because the backspin is likely to increase, causing the ball to rise up on a high trajectory and lower distance?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I always thought that teeing a ball slightly higher can result in reduced distance because the backspin is likely to increase, causing the ball to rise up on a high trajectory and lower distance?
Or if you're me, swipe straight under the ball, clip it off the very top of the face and send it 150 yards vertical, 40 yards forward. :D

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If its a short hole and the turf on the teeing ground is perfect I'll probably just throw a ball down. It's if the ground is bare/uneven I'll tee it as close to the ground as possible. I've always had the same problem, catch it high on the face and it goes up and nowhere. Fine if you know how to control that like Jack did but with my amount of practice time I'm trying to create the distance I know, so recreating as close to the shot I practice most often (off the ground).

If it's a 4 iron I'll tee it just a little higher off the ground and sweep.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hank Haney always says - There is a reason you're only allowed to do it 18 times a round.

Never understand people that don't tee the ball up.