Advice needed for first set of clubs.

jimmygerrard

Visit site
I now find myself on this same path as the OP and this thread has been very helpful. I am looking at a set of Ping G20s which seem to go for about £200 used, though I've also heard that the Taylormade Rocketbladez might be a good starter iron set as well if anyone has any experience of them? I have a budget of about £400 so I am wondering what driver and woods/hybrids it might be worth looking at to compliment the irons? I am doing mainly range work for now but hope to move on to a course very soon. Any advice most welcome.

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I now find myself on this same path as the OP and this thread has been very helpful. I am looking at a set of Ping G20s which seem to go for about £200 used, though I've also heard that the Taylormade Rocketbladez might be a good starter iron set as well if anyone has any experience of them? I have a budget of about £400 so I am wondering what driver and woods/hybrids it might be worth looking at to compliment the irons? I am doing mainly range work for now but hope to move on to a course very soon. Any advice most welcome.

Whatever you do, make sure you like the look of the clubs. Its such a huge factor in enjoying the game IMO. If you enjoy what you look down at you'll want to practice and work more on your game. :p!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Welcome along. I'd suggest sticking with the G20 theme. Very good driver, fairway woods and hybrid. I can't remember, but I thought the TM rocketbladez had their loft cranked up so an 9 iron was in reality an 8, etc

Redtraveller

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi,

Other the last couple of months I've been going to my local driving range as I have slightly fallen in love with the game. I've always wanted to play but only just started since moving within distance of a club. I signed up to a six week (1 lesson a weekend) beginners course which has now sadly come to an end. The course was great and covered quite a lot from putting, driving, posture and grip etc.

I've been thoroughly enjoying the sport and want to get a set for myself so I don't have to use the clubs battered irons, but am a bit uncertain as to which route to go down; a full new set or a second hand set. I've read a lot of posts and articles on various forums which all suggest the pros and cons of either, which doesn't seem to help, so that is why I've posted here so hopefully someone can help me decide.

Thanks in advance!

I’ve got a set of Taylormade Burner 2.0 in decent condition if you are interested? They’re a good solid club with decent size heads 4-SW

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Thanks mate, I have been a busy boy this evening queuing Ping iron sets up on the bay :D I did come across what looked to me to be a quite reasonably priced package set, should I be avoiding this kind of thing and focus on second hand?

https://www.golfgeardirect.co.uk/sh...steel-graphite-mens-complete-set-1401609.html

Yonex have been in the golf market for many years. They aren't massive but they do some OK stuff but personally I think you'd find some better stuff from bigger brands second hand

jimmygerrard

Visit site
Thanks to everyone who contributed, I've bought a set of Ping G20 irons to get going with. A driver can wait for a bit I think, I have a really old Taylormade one so I might just have that regripped and replace it later on. Fun starts now I suppose :)

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Good luck! i've been hacking around with a second hand set of dunlop clubs, starting to get comfortable enough with my swing to consider getting something better. Hope you got a good price and enjoy them.

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks to everyone who contributed, I've bought a set of Ping G20 irons to get going with. A driver can wait for a bit I think, I have a really old Taylormade one so I might just have that regripped and replace it later on. Fun starts now I suppose :)

Got a very good Ping Driver and fairway in the for sale section - go nicely with those.