Advice needed for first set of clubs.

shun_naka

Club Champion
Visit site
Seriously, dont worry too much about lie/loft angle just now as in the beginning its all about getting the basic fundamentals right.

I bought a cheap second hand set from gumtree 2 years ago and they done me perfectly fine until i felt confident enough to know i'd atleast make decent contact with the ball most of the time. I then this year bought another 2nd hand set, though a much better set in ping g20s. Standard lofts/lies (black dot)

Get a good 2nd hand set, with standard settings and keep your money for lessons

if you're going to splash out on one club, make it the putter - it'll be the same one you'll end up using for years and you'll use the putter most of any club in the bag during a round

sam-davies

Hacker
Visit site
News! I've fond a set! I'm going to grab a set of Callaways X-22 (4-SW) from a guy not too far from me later this evening for £150. They look like they are in really decent condition with fairly new grips too, and are a standard size. He said he has had them a few years and got them from his local golf store, but is selling as he has just got a new set. I'm going to go along and have a look at them later today and if they are decent I'll swap the cash for the irons.

That said, is there anything I should specifically be looking out for when inspecting them? Also, is there any quick way of telling if they are fake by looking at them? I don't think they are as the guys seems pretty genuine but can never be too sure.

S

Snelly

They sound ideal. Good clubs.

No idea on spotting fakes though. See what you can Google.

D

Deleted Member 1156

That said, is there anything I should specifically be looking out for when inspecting them?

Apart from the overall condition, look out for rust on the shafts as that can weaken them and cause them to snap. Don't worry about rust spots on the heads as that won't affect how they play.

sam-davies

Hacker
Visit site
So, after the Easter weekend I can proudly say I have a set of Callaway X-22 CG Irons (4-SW) in the bag! I got them for £150 and they are in really good condition, without any rust or major scuffs. I took them to my local driving range at the weekend and the guys at A.G. had a look and confirmed they were genuine (huge relief) and spent a good two hours hitting balls out into the range.

I also spent a good half hour in the shop trying out various putters. After a few checks and measurements it turns out I am best suited to use a face balanced putter, or mallet style one. I tried out a few different brands and found a couple of Odyssey suited me best. So that will be my next investment, along with a driver and maybe a fairway wood... job done!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So, after the Easter weekend I can proudly say I have a set of Callaway X-22 CG Irons (4-SW) in the bag! I got them for £150 and they are in really good condition, without any rust or major scuffs. I took them to my local driving range at the weekend and the guys at A.G. had a look and confirmed they were genuine (huge relief) and spent a good two hours hitting balls out into the range.

I also spent a good half hour in the shop trying out various putters. After a few checks and measurements it turns out I am best suited to use a face balanced putter, or mallet style one. I tried out a few different brands and found a couple of Odyssey suited me best. So that will be my next investment, along with a driver and maybe a fairway wood... job done!

good stuff Sam, now you can just get on with playing :) (until another new shiny takes your eye ;) )

sam-davies

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks, and thank you everyone who helped! I'm going to head along to the range later tonight to get an hours play in.

How would I go about choosing what type(s) of fairway wood or hybrid I should get? My longest iron is a 4 Iron, so I am guessing I will need something to use between that and a driver. I read that woods are easier to hit and shorter than a hybrid, but hybrids are more forgiving and accurate. Is that correct?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Apply the same principle as you have with the irons.... in Callaway X22 you've got great clubs, but a few years old, but a snip at that price! I'd advocate a rescue/hybrid , a 5 wood and a driver or 3 wood (or both)

So Ping G20s, Taylor Made Jetspeeds etc are a few years old, good clubs and can be had for reasonable money...or Callaway old model so some sort.... look on golf bidder at 2014/5 models?

.by the end of the summer you#ll know your away around the market and be itching to upgrade!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thanks, and thank you everyone who helped! I'm going to head along to the range later tonight to get an hours play in.

How would I go about choosing what type(s) of fairway wood or hybrid I should get? My longest iron is a 4 Iron, so I am guessing I will need something to use between that and a driver. I read that woods are easier to hit and shorter than a hybrid, but hybrids are more forgiving and accurate. Is that correct?

No hybrids are shorter than woods (of corresponding number) and should be easier to hit, albeit some (mainly those from pre hybrid days) will still prefer woods

If youre happy with the 4 iron then I would look to probably get a wood with somewhere between 17 and 19 degrees of loft (some will be high launch 3 woods some will be 5 woods). Give that a try and if that works then look for a driver and then further down the line you may choose to fill a gap between the wood and 4 iron with a hybrid (or replace the 4 iron with a hybrid).

chip barm

Club Champion
Visit site
I also spent a good half hour in the shop trying out various putters. After a few checks and measurements it turns out I am best suited to use a face balanced putter, or mallet style one. I tried out a few different brands and found a couple of Odyssey suited me best.
the putting stroke you use. how did you arrive at it?

sam-davies

Hacker
Visit site
Could do far worse than pick up this driver and 3 wood, even if they didnt work out you wouldnt lose much on resale

http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/showthread.php?91392-Ping-G15-Driver-(12)-and-3-Wood-(15-5)-Reg

edit: having just looked on ebay bite his hand off!

That's a good spot Fundy, I've heard the G15s are good for beginners! They seem like the right flex and length for me too. I've sent him a message.

As to my putting stroke, I had a lesson on putting and sussed it out from there. I imagine my stroke is far from perfect but it seemed to work at the time. The guy in A.G. made me stand over the ball with a mirrored floor chart to see how far I stood over the ball... My eye-line was above and beyond the ball slightly meaning that I stood a little over it, which apparently meant I needed a face balanced putter.

sam-davies

Hacker
Visit site
i've been informed that the set of G15s have gone. Never mind. I've seen a guy selling an X Series Driver and Wood for a reasonable price. Has anyone had any experience with these? The reviews seem to say they are quite forgiving and go a good distance.

sam-davies

Hacker
Visit site
Hi everyone.

I thought I would give you all a quick update as I now have enough clubs to hit the course! I got myself a bit of a bargain on a second hand Callaway XR driver and 5 wood in the end and am very happy. I tried out a few other clubs, such as a Ping G15 and also a Cobra (I can't remember the model), but I didn't seem to get on with them as well as the Callaways. I don't know if it is a difference in the clubs or a confidence thing as there has been a lot of good reviews about them. I think that will probably do me now for clubs as I have the 2 mentioned above, along with a set of irons 4-SW and a putter. I'd like to try out a hybrid to replace the long iron but I am not in any hurry. Plus, my girlfriend is suggesting my money be spent on our holiday rather than "shiny new toys".

Thanks again for all your help, if anything it has made me more confidence when buying a second hand club from someone, as that in itself was a bit daunting at first. Now it's off to the pitch and putt in Wandsworth to play this weekend.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi everyone.

I thought I would give you all a quick update as I now have enough clubs to hit the course! I got myself a bit of a bargain on a second hand Callaway XR driver and 5 wood in the end and am very happy. I tried out a few other clubs, such as a Ping G15 and also a Cobra (I can't remember the model), but I didn't seem to get on with them as well as the Callaways. I don't know if it is a difference in the clubs or a confidence thing as there has been a lot of good reviews about them. I think that will probably do me now for clubs as I have the 2 mentioned above, along with a set of irons 4-SW and a putter. I'd like to try out a hybrid to replace the long iron but I am not in any hurry. Plus, my girlfriend is suggesting my money be spent on our holiday rather than "shiny new toys".

Thanks again for all your help, if anything it has made me more confidence when buying a second hand club from someone, as that in itself was a bit daunting at first. Now it's off to the pitch and putt in Wandsworth to play this weekend.
She's wrong, of course.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hi everyone.

good stuff, now the real fun begins :) enjoy the pitch and putt, be on the course in no time!

sam-davies

Hacker
Visit site
Darn it, I really must read threads!

Have they tried G10s? They are like golf 101

Haha thanks anyway ScienceBoy, I shall keep an eye out for future Pings to try. I think my friend at work has some Pings but we are yet to arrange a game. When we do I will be sure to pester him for a go on them.