Advice for second hand clubs

jumbojake

Visit site
Looking to upgrade my driver, but can't afford new clubs (and the free advice that comes with them)

I currently have an old R580, reg shaft, and on a good day it's straight and can reach over 300yrds, on a bad day it's all over the place.

I recently went to a ping fitting, they advised I should have an extra stiff shart and neutral or open face, but I can't get on with any of the 'new' clubs on the range.

So.. looking for something that will give me more consistency... not too worried about distance.

Are these square clubs any good? (they only seem to be available second hand, so can't try efore I buy)

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Go to any decent club pro shop and they will let you try the 2nd hand clubs on the practice grounds if available.

Welcome by the way.

jumbojake

Visit site
my range does that, but they don;t have any of the square ones... I've tried a wide variety of good quality traditional clubs,with the shaft, loft, bias etc they recommend, but I just don't get on with them... certainly no better than I have.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you need something neutral or open faced, look for a Titleist or a Tour model, such as the Taylor Made TP or Callaway FT Tour..

You should be able to pick up one of these at a reasonable price on a well known auction site. With the R9 you can buy and sell the shafts separately, so if you need to swap one can do so easily.

For example: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Titleist-909D2-10-5-Degree-UST-Proforce-75g-X-Flex-Shaft-/13066618

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Callaway-...es-Aldila-Voodoo-X-flex-Excellent-/1808498368

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Square drivers etc? they have been and gone fella. How about lessons, they can be the key to a better strike than any club could ever offer.

jumbojake

Visit site
Yep, been through the driving range's selection of quality clubs (Taylormade, Titleist, Ping, Callaway) ... they are pretty fed up with me!... anyway none of them seem to give me anything more than my 12yr old R580

jumbojake

Visit site
R580? I had one of them briefly back in the day, a lot of the R580 models are non conforming now too which is why it had to go.

yes, mine is one of the original non-conforming... but with all the advances in technology over the past 10 or so years, I was expecting something more forgiving.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
my nephew has a r580 but a conforming one and wont change because it goes a treat mine did too when i had it but ive moved on great club, mayb e have a word in pro shop to see if theyll but a stiff shaft in it for you if this is a problem and you arent playing comps? or try your luck on the auction site a couple of r580 stiff on there now for not a lot.