Advice for new golfer

Pommy

Visit site
Hi everybody,

I’ve been practising now for roughly for 4 months and had a number of lessons, my confidence is on the up and feeling like my bad shots are reducing.

I’m just looking for advice, I really want to get out on the course now, I feel like it will help my learning. I’ve bought all the equipment and clothes, shoes etc.

I’m just nervous of being out on the course, I play on my own and will be visiting on my own. The worries are basically being in people’s way, playing too slow, generally just a bit daunted.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks everybody.

MartynB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Take up fishing. This golf lark is highly addictive! I think you are going along the right lines. Maybe play nine holes or a par 3 late on Saturday or Sunday when courses are much quieter, but then again don’t feel you need to hide away as a new golfer. You will soon see a whole range of abilities on the course and should not feel intimidated.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Welcome along. Why not start at a local pay and play and go out one afternoon or evening when it may be a little quieter and easier to get on. I'd just go out and have fun with it and just be wary of those coming up behind and let them through if you start to hold anyone up. Other than that, don't have too many expectations, don't get too frustrated and have fun

Pommy

Visit site
That made me laugh as I already go fly fishing most weekends. I think you’ve hit the nail on the head though. I’m watching online booking facilities to try find the quiet time, but as soon as it shows somebody has booked within say half an hour, I rule it out. I do feel as though I’m hiding away.

I’m trying to avoid weekends as much as possible, but it looks like we are in for a glorious weekend so wanted to take advantage.

I think I have a mental picture that I’m going to go to a course, and everybody is going to be playing like the pro’s.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I think I have a mental picture that I’m going to go to a course, and everybody is going to be playing like the pro’s.

There's plenty that talk the talk but rarely walk the walk, the average player isn't that great tbh. Taking it to the course tends to be a bit more difficult that practising but you gotta take the leap sooner or later, get in there.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just let the forum know where you are located and I'm sure someone will come forward, take you under his/her wing and get you on the course - and I promise you will enjoy the company.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The more you play the more you will realise that there are plenty of golfers out there who hit bad shots. Once you understand that you will relax more and not worry about your own game as much. Enjoy.

Pommy

Visit site
I split my time between Blackburn and Manchester. I was looking at a place called duxbury Park. I’ve been advised that it would be good for a beginner.

I’m sure once I’m out, I’ll be fine. It’s just biting the bullet. Like I say, just not wanting to get in the way, it may also sound silly, but the idea of hitting off grass instead of a range mat feels somewhat intimidating. I’m sure after a few shots and getting into it will put me at ease.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Just let the forum know where you are located and I'm sure someone will come forward, take you under his/her wing and get you on the course - and I promise you will enjoy the company.

This 👍, welcome to the forum and buy some sudocrem for the warm weather.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I remember having similar fears when I started. Oh boy - do you learn. There are many a hacker (including myself) on golf courses all round the world every day. I'd say one on every four ball on average so about 100 on most courses most weekends.

Don't fret it - there are not as many good golfers out there as you think. Look at articles for 'average handicaps playing golf' and you will soon realise that you are in the majority of golfers, or will be very soon.

Regarding play - just pick a quieter time. Another booking or 2 around you should not put you off. Only one thing will annoy other golfers and that is if you hold them up. It should not happen as when someone catches you on the course simply step aside and let them through. If you do that then you can play and practice at your leisure for a few hours.

Bite the bullet as if your waiting for the perfect moment - you will never be on a course. Last point - hitting of grass is indeed more difficult than range mats (mats can mask poor shots a little) so don't go out with too many expectations. You will experience uphill/downhill/side hill lies - something you won't get on a range and it will take time to learn how to play of such.

Above all - enjoy - it's meant to be a game you enjoy playing. Learn early how to enjoy and take pleasure from the game when it does not go as you would hope. Baby steps and enjoy the odd good shot.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I hack the course up every weekend. As all have Pick a pay as you play public course, and go when it’s quieter. Rainy days are excellent for that. You’ll soon see watching others play on these courses that there are plenty of hackers out there.

You can always take a bunch of balls and just drop one if you hit the first into the woods.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Please share, I'd be interested to hear what you have to give.

Buy a v-easy for a start ;)

I find most beginners swing back twice as hard as they swing through. It should be even but a good way to practice is a 1:2 ratio back to through instead of 2:1.

Also three goals method :D

I could never help anyone with the full swing but chipping, putting and a game plan, I have stuff for that.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Welcome along. Why not start at a local pay and play and go out one afternoon or evening when it may be a little quieter and easier to get on.

That made me smile. I have always been able to play during the daytime getting finished by about 4.30. When I used to play the local 9 hole P&P course there were always about ten or so groups by the first tee waiting to tee off.

Pommy

Visit site
I bit the bullet and got out on the course today. Had a very enjoyable time. Two very kind gentlemen let me join in with them which added to the experience.

Very happy to have finally done it. I didn’t play particularly well. I developed a slice on my drives, which is unusual because my bad shots tend to hook instead. I didn’t fat as many shots as I thought I possibly would after the transition from range mat to grass.

All in all it was a very good round. Managed to do 18 in 4 hours, sort of fell apart after the first 9 though. Played a lot better through the first 9. I guess it didn’t help with the new golf shoes rubbing, eventually making walking to be quite painful.

Thanks for all the support and advice given to me.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nice one Pommy. Sounds good.

The quickest way to improve is a combination of driving range / chipping / putting practice and getting out on the course with other people. The latter bit also being great for building a bit of confidence.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Good good mate glad you enjoyed it, next time will be less daunting and before you know it you'll have clocked numerous rounds, since your just starting out I'd suggest an app to start tracking your stats its good to see were you need to improve