Adjustable driver/fairways or learn to swing properly ;)

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Depends how you use it i suppose.

I have an adjustable driver that i've never adjusted! Set to neutral and i've just left it there.

Not quite sure I see the point in getting an adjustable one, possibly paying a premium price for the functionality and then not using it and keeping it neutral. Seems to defeat the object to me

I would agree with you Homer except I got mine free courtesy of GM :)

Also, it was the best out of the ones I tried in it's setting which included adjustable and non adjustable ones.

My (limited experience only) view is that they tried it on a couple of different settings to find the best set-up so it's almost like a custom fit with different lofts etc but just using the one club.....

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a 910 and dont really buy into all this "if I swing garbage will I wonder if it is the club", balls, you know if you swing crap.

Swing properly, get an adjustable driver leave it at the right setting for you easy p-easy (see what I done there Bob)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I have a 910 and dont really buy into all this "if I swing garbage will I wonder if it is the club", balls, you know if you swing crap.

Swing properly, get an adjustable driver leave it at the right setting for you easy p-easy (see what I done there Bob)

Yes. You cleverly avoided using v-easy :(

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
deffo swing path Bob as its a severe lack of confidence due to scared of slicing the crap out of it onto the next fairway hence causing a dodgy takeaway and snatchy downswing. On the range I am quite straight and can even draw/fade on occasion (by choice I hasten to add). As soon as I am on the tee the hesitation creeps in and a lack of commitment to the swing

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm in the latter camp, a better swing is going to help all areas of your game.

However, my driver was so naughty yesterday it stayed in the bag after 6 holes :(

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think adjustable clubs have their place. If you have an ingrained swing with a consistent shot shape then they are a bonus, but if your a red arrows kinda player launching them left, right, left right up down shank hook etc, then no amount of tinkering is going to help.

granters

Q-School Graduate
www.theirvinegolfclub.co.uk
Am i the only one wondering why they're legal? Given i'm not as up to date equipment wise as most of you but i can't get my head around the fact you can alter the head position. I know you can't do it on the course but if you're playing a predominantly right to left course then surely it's a major advantage over a Monty type left to righter without one?

I mistakingly bought a cheap Titleist driver off flea-bay last year just to get swinging again and discovered it was non-conforming due top the face being too springy. I would argue that being able to alter the face position offers a far greater advantage than gaining a few extra yards (which i didn't even notice anyway). The point is, i still had to hit the thing straight, without any adjustable assistance.

I'm not saying i'd never buy one, maybe i'm just stuck in the 90's.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
The lofts intrigue me as at the moment would like a higher one but after improving would prob want to lower it but without the expense of a new driver! Plus change it to the conditions on the day lower on windy days etc.

E-D. If you ever want to try a higher loft driver, I have a few spare a.t.m. I'd happily bring one over in return for a sign-in! :cool:

Do you have any idea of your swing speed?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I don't get why anyone thinks an adjustable head should be illegal.

I read in the mags and interviews with tour players how they have 11 degree this, bent to 8 and 1/2 degree that, etc etc. Surely this is adjusting the club?

What about changing the lie angles on your irons? Cheating? No, it is getting something which fits you. Yep, you could keep a standard lie angle for every one, and change your swing to suit it, but that would be sub optimal.

Trick is, it is hard to loft and lie a driver, as titanium isn't the most bendy material. Yep, the pro's get it done, because a high scrap rate doesn't bother them, and also their drivers aren't always made from the same materials as the off the shelf ones.

All an adjustable head does is enable the driver to be fitted to you. Like the Pro's get.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site

Yes. You cleverly avoided using v-easy :(

If you had seen my putting on sunday at Ballyliffin you would have been proud..

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I've got one too - a bog standard R9 with a Fukeesomethinorother shaft.

I had it set up for me when I bought it and have never reached for the spanner/key thing. Yeah, of course I spray them all over the place from time to time but I'm not temped to go down the tinkering route as that way madness lies.

Personally I thought the point of them was that you could go back on the swing analysis machine from time to time (if your swing changes say) with the pro on hand and THEN get the spanner out to fettle about with some expert guidance.

I got the R9 at the time because it had a slightly smaller head (440cc's I think) which I liked and didn't make a noise like a baking tray being struck with a steel baseball bat every time you used it....and of course a bit of the ol, 'shiniest bat on the shelf' syndrome as it was for a short while.

Would I get one again? I wouldn't seek one out for that feature but if 'puter said yes and I liked it I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm not entirely convinced they are the way forward as I could see it being something generated primarily in a marketing suit just to differeciate it from brand competition e.g. does anyone talk about adjustable swing weights in their PR much nowadays (maybe they do- I wouldn't really know).

Taking a slow walk back to the ball dispenser at a range you see all manner of 'adaptive' techniques in the bays none really better or worst than another but since a swing appears to be a unique as a signature it makes sense to try and cater to your 'style'.

Wish I'd have thought of it first mind

billyg

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Am i the only one wondering why they're legal? Given i'm not as up to date equipment wise as most of you but i can't get my head around the fact you can alter the head position. I know you can't do it on the course but if you're playing a predominantly right to left course then surely it's a major advantage over a Monty type left to righter without one?

I mistakingly bought a cheap Titleist driver off flea-bay last year just to get swinging again and discovered it was non-conforming due top the face being too springy. I would argue that being able to alter the face position offers a far greater advantage than gaining a few extra yards (which i didn't even notice anyway). The point is, i still had to hit the thing straight, without any adjustable assistance.
As Murph says above, you're not adjusting it on the course. Look at it another way, would you object if someone took out a draw bias driver on one course, then a fade bias on another; or has a 3 iron in the bag for a links, then swaps out for a hybrid on a parkland? It's no different.

A non-conforming driver is different, that's purely to prevent clubs getting longer and longe and making courses obsolete.