Driver fitting and an expensive lesson

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Duncan.

It definitely had Nike wrote on the swing monitor which was connected to a laptop, so I assume it is made for equipment for Nike dealer swing analysis.

Dave, I'm sort of joshing with you - and apologise. However, when I put 'Jumps Joinery' on things it's because I have physically made them - afaik Nike no longer makes anything at all; they are a marketing company.

They have lots of stickers and badges though :whoo:

This isn't anti Nike - I would bet the same money on a Taylor Made badged launch monitor!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Region 3

The launch measuring equipment was made by Nike.

My drives varied from 190 to 210 carry using 80% range balls. Richard advised that the regular RIP NV shaft was perfect for my swing speed however I don't know how accurate the club head speed was on the monitor.

My typical drive using my Nike VR is around 220 -230 carry, which incidentally is where the ditches are placed on my local course so I'm hoping to get enough of an improvement so I don't need a lucky bounce to get over when landing short.

Rooter.

I didn't try the Razr Black as Richard wanted to dial out the fade that had crept into my swing.
All of the other shafts I tried including the 9.5 degree drivers had launch angles between 14 and 17 which was too high and given that the Razr Black is designed for high launch I think that the launch with the Fujikura shaft would have been far to high

Even though the Razr Fit is 10.5 the RIP NV managed to keep the launch angle down to between 12 and 14 with the odd higher launch if I tee'd it up to high.

With those distances I'd say the numbers you saw were ball speed then rather than club head speed.

From what I remember from my fitting the ball speed was around 140-150 and I was getting about 240 carry but it was with half decent balls.

I also remember the fitter wanting to get my launch angle UP to around 16° from 12 or 13 so I'd guess you spin the ball a bit more than I do. Either that or different fitters have different ideas about what's best.

I hope the magic lasts onto the course for you. :)

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
With those distances I'd say the numbers you saw were ball speed then rather than club head speed.

From what I remember from my fitting the ball speed was around 140-150 and I was getting about 240 carry but it was with half decent balls.

I also remember the fitter wanting to get my launch angle UP to around 16° from 12 or 13 so I'd guess you spin the ball a bit more than I do. Either that or different fitters have different ideas about what's best.

I hope the magic lasts onto the course for you. :)

190-210 ain't ballspeed unless he is Jamie Sadlowski's missing twin or the machine was turned up to 14. That would equate to club head speed in the 130-140 mph region, so I think they would have considered something stiffer than Regular flex was needed.

With range balls the average 90mph swing speeder might not get much more than 200 yards carry. On a golf course with decent golf balls, maybe 220 or so.

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site
You guys might want to look at 'smash' factor. This is the relationship between clubhead speed and ball speed. The ideal is 1.5 , (150 BS to 100 CHS). You can do the sums on your own swing speed. What it essentially means is the amount of power that actually gets through from your swing into the ball and as I said 1.5 is what you should be aiming for.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
You guys might want to look at 'smash' factor. This is the relationship between clubhead speed and ball speed. The ideal is 1.5 , (150 BS to 100 CHS). You can do the sums on your own swing speed. What it essentially means is the amount of power that actually gets through from your swing into the ball and as I said 1.5 is what you should be aiming for.

That formula is OK for the driver, although it assumes an excellent quality strike, but the number is lower with irons.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
190-210 ain't ballspeed unless he is Jamie Sadlowski's missing twin or the machine was turned up to 14. That would equate to club head speed in the 130-140 mph region, so I think they would have considered something stiffer than Regular flex was needed.

With range balls the average 90mph swing speeder might not get much more than 200 yards carry. On a golf course with decent golf balls, maybe 220 or so.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear what I was replying to.
It was from an earlier post where Dave said he read the club speed as between 115 and 124mph. I thought with a carry of 200 ish that it might have been ball speed not club speed, and the range balls might explain the slightly low smash factor.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I assume smash factor also relies on a good ball, so with 80% range balls that the OP was using I don't think you'd get anywhere near 1.5