Adjustable driver/fairways or learn to swing properly ;)

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
was thinking of getting a Nike VR Tour str8fit driver and 4 wood, only £119 & £79 at direct golf, am not getting on with my 907 d1 (horrible driver that is off to golfbidder tomorrow along with all my other spare clubs for a nice little sum) and my 12 deg cobra gets way to much height.

Are adjustable drivers just an excuse to mask a swing flaw and in fact preventing someone from correcting their swing properly or is it a case of whatever helps aka a quick fix so to speak.

whats your opinion?

granters

Q-School Graduate
www.theirvinegolfclub.co.uk
My thoughts are that they are a quick fix. I tried out a TM R9 set up for a draw last year and while it was a nice club, i just hit a big dirty pull with it. I naturally play a fade off the driver but i do hit fairways often enough as i know what's gonna happen. My current driver is a tour model that sits 2 degrees open (non adjustable) si i can pretty much do what i want with it shape wise. I don't think i could if i had a fce set for a strong draw,

From the other point of view they are useful for those that don't/can't invest the time in practice. It's no fun hitting wild slices or hooks all the time

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not a huge fan. As a tinkerer it would always be the set up and not me and so the wrench would never be far from my hand. I have to say I think they are the future of the driver/wood market but I'll be holding off as long as I can

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Depends how you use it i suppose.

I have an adjustable driver that i've never adjusted! Set to neutral and i've just left it there.

I dont practice at all but i think if i started messing with it i would start thinking "what if" after a bad one.

Leave it as i was fitted and theb the bad ones are down to me.

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think they are a quick fix but if I had the money I'd get one!! Nearly bought a tm burner draw from one of my four ball partners but the last few weeks my slice/fade is becoming a draw/hook so thought better of it, plus it looked odd looking at the closed face!

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was thinking as I am after a replacement for the 907/cobra it might be a viable option but dont want to be in a position where I tdont know if its the club or me improving so to speak. Off to direct golf tomorrow to try a few out :)

wont be looking at r11 or 910's as not made of money but getting rid of all my impulse buys as they are just collecting dust to hopefully fund it and my vr hybrids ;)

granters

Q-School Graduate
www.theirvinegolfclub.co.uk
I'd be worried about fiddling about with it too much as well. In which case, if you're changing it all the time how can you possible attempt to groove a swing?

I'd be all for adjusting lofts, but not fade/draw bias. TBH i was surprised they were legal when i started playing again

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
The lofts intrigue me as at the moment would like a higher one but after improving would prob want to lower it but without the expense of a new driver! Plus change it to the conditions on the day lower on windy days etc.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

I have an adjustable driver that i've never adjusted! Set to neutral and i've just left it there.

Not quite sure I see the point in getting an adjustable one, possibly paying a premium price for the functionality and then not using it and keeping it neutral. Seems to defeat the object to me

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don't believe adjustable clubs mask swing faults. You still have to swing the thing reasonably well.

I also thought the adjustability was to tailor the club to you instead of a clubfitter altering it, rather than to tinker with it every time it doesn't behave.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree Gary, doesnt mean folk wont mess with it, especially high cappers like myself trying to mask it, thats really why I asked the question. I am thinking I may well be better to persevere with one of my standard drivers as I was hitting it well on Sunday bar a slice on the 14th and 18th (the 18th is still haunting me after taking a 9 and needing a six).

too many different clubs/options on the market imho :)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I have a Titleist D2 910 and admit to tinkering at the range to see what it will do. However, on the course it's set on D1 and for me it gives a gentle fade. I leave it on that setting and it goes long - what more do I want!

Chris

FourPutt

Head Pro
Visit site

Not quite sure I see the point in getting an adjustable one, possibly paying a premium price for the functionality and then not using it and keeping it neutral. Seems to defeat the object to me

I have mine set to neutral, but the option is there to change it if I want to. Also, I didn't buy it because it was adjustable. It just happened to be the most forgiving driver I tried and gave me the best numbers. I consider changing the settings every now and then, but haven't got around to it yet. Am hitting it well so haven't felt an overwhelming urge!

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Mate of mine had a Cobra ZL. Lovely driver.
I had a couple of goes with it at Highwoods one day, hit two massive great slices. Unbeknown to me, he had it set up for a draw that day.
A couple of weeks later I had another few tonks with it at East Brighton. Hit 3 lovely draws with it, found the middle of the fairway each time.
He had it set up for a fade that day.
:D :D :D :D :D :D

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
So wht does that say about your swing Smiffster!!??

The adjustability gives you the option of hitting a different shape shot without having to change your swing or setup.
If all the driving holes require that slight fade then you can set the club to the appropriate setting and away you go.
Next course needs a high draw - simply set the club to the right setting and you've got a different shape.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
I would have argued against adjustable drivers a couple of years ago. But I've changed sides.

I don't have the time to create a perfect swing and practice it. In fact, my swing has changed over the last few years. Therefore an adjustable driver can stay with me, and I don't have to buy another one as my swing develops.

As for tinkering. Well the temptation is there. But I would just find a setting that works and stick with it. I know when I've hit a bad shot, even before I see where the ball is going.