Adjustable Driver - Blunted Screw in Head

Hearty Harry

Visit site
Hello all,

I have a TaylorMade M2 2017 driver.
I have accidentally blunted the screw head in the driver head.

The head is currently on and I can still turn the screw tight - just.

The driver head is now starting to become loose each round!

Can the connector be replaced?
Or am I looking at a new driver?

I have asked my local pro who is going to ask TaylorMade but it doesn’t sound hopeful.

NearHull

Visit site
Hello all,

I have a TaylorMade M2 2017 driver.
I have accidentally blunted the screw head in the driver head.

The head is currently on and I can still turn the screw tight - just.

The driver head is now starting to become loose each round!

Can the connector be replaced?
Or am I looking at a new driver?

I have asked my local pro who is going to ask TaylorMade but it doesn’t sound hopeful.

what is the screw head drive? If it is the standard hex for an Allen Key you can try the ‘Easy Outs’. if it’s a cross head that is rounding off, the standard engineering removal is to drill a hole down the head at a suitable diameter to use the tools. This set is very cheap and would probably not last, better spec kits are available - you get what you pay for in tools.
1626414208237.jpeg

Last edited:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
If its just the screw head that's damaged. You can get a replacement frm ebay for a few £.

Search TaylorMade adapter screw.

Hearty Harry

Visit site
Cheers for all the replies.

The screw no longer clicks when turning so eventually the head is going to loosen.

I have phoned round a few places but have not found anyone yet that can definitely replace the sleeve adapter.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have got loads of bolts (every time I buy an adapter it comes with with one) Not sure how you get the old one out though. You need to be able to remove the retaining washer somehow. Probably easiest to pin punch the bolt out to the point where the washer is stuck on the thread and it will then unscrew or pin punch the old bolt out the whole way.

Hopefully the thread inside the adapter is not damaged

PM me with an address and I will send you a couple.

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
what is the screw head drive? If it is the standard hex for an Allen Key you can try the ‘Easy Outs’. if it’s a cross head that is rounding off, the standard engineering removal is to drill a hole down the head at a suitable diameter to use the tools. This set is very cheap and would probably not last, better spec kits are available - you get what you pay for in tools.
View attachment 37589

This is a bit OTT the rubber retaining washer just needs to be got off the bolt and it will drop out.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Few confusing things here. First, you say you have 'blunted' the screw - does this mean the tip is blunt or you have actually rounded off the torx head? Not sure how you would manage this though unless you used the wrong tool. Second, you say the screw no longer clicks - the screw doesn't click, it is the tool that clicks to prevent you over torqueing the screw and damaging it. Sounds to me you may be tightening it with the wrong device?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Few confusing things here. First, you say you have 'blunted' the screw - does this mean the tip is blunt or you have actually rounded off the torx head? Not sure how you would manage this though unless you used the wrong tool. Second, you say the screw no longer clicks - the screw doesn't click, it is the tool that clicks to prevent you over torqueing the screw and damaging it. Sounds to me you may be tightening it with the wrong device?

I'd say the screw head is rounded so it no longer tightens to the torque setting of the Taylormade tool, hence why the head keeps coming loose.
If it were me, I'd remove the faulty screw, this is assuming the threads in the shafts adapter are fine, take it to a local pro shop and ask to buy a replacement. I'd also buy a new Taylormade (or other brand as they are generally all the same) tool as the teeth on this are probably a bit rounded as well.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just hit balls until the screw becomes loose in the adapter/ head.
It should be fairly easy to unscrew then if your tool won’t get it out try using a plain flat screwdriver that fits in what’s left of the tourqe fins. ( just watch your fingers use a vice if avaliable).
The bolt just pushes out of the head and is only retained by a rubber washer.
Try a new bolt in the adapter before you install it in the head to see if it clicks when tightened.
If it dosnt you may need another adapter fitted.
Check the head isn’t cracked as this may be the original problem and why the bolt was loosening .
If it’s just the bolt head it’s a very easy job to replace.

Hearty Harry

Visit site
Cheers for all the replies.

I have only ever used the TM Torx screw that I got with the driver.

I think the cause is that I regularly unscrew the head to fit in my car boot.

The head is currently on my driver and I can screw and unscrew it on and off but just.

I have received various bits and bobs from Jim Flog to try out.

I have also found a club repairer in my area if needed.