Adding a club to bag part way through a round - allowed?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well it's been a while since I had a weird query but...in a match yesterday we came across a Dunlop Driver in a bin. We all wondered "what on earth" as it was intact - if I lost it with the thing I'd want the satisfaction of breaking it!

Anyhow, opponents husband suggested she take it and use it (no driver in current bag). So she did and then did no more but use it on the next tee. I was amazed she'd have the nerve without practicing first but it went ok.

Is it within the rules to do so though? It was a friendly mixed match played in very good spirits so wasn't about to kick up a fuss but worth knowing for the future...

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
No she only had about 10 I reckon and didn't use most of them! Didn't hold up play either as it was already a nightmare round as we were playing greensomes behind a bunch of 4 balls in a society.

In fact one of the most enjoyable parts of the course was being shown the greengage trees and the knack of picking them with a ball retriever - great fun!

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I thought this would be ok provided she started with less than 14 clubs. However, after looking it up I'd say she shouldn't have been able to do this....

4-4 Maximum of Fourteen Clubs

a. Selection and Addition of Clubs

The player must not start a stipulated round with more than fourteen clubs. He is limited to the clubs thus selected for that round, except that if he started with fewer than fourteen clubs, he may add any number, provided his total number does not exceed fourteen.

The addition of a club or clubs must not unduly delay play (Rule 6-7) and the player must not add or borrow any club selected for play by any other person playing on the course or by assembling components carried by or for the player during the stipulated round.

Seems reasonable to assume the driver was being used by someone else on the course!

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hmmm interesting. My gut feel at the time was that it was probably against the rules...

Funnily enough - came across the following in the England Golf newsletter I received by email today...

Q. Michael found a club belonging to another person playing on the course and placed it in his bag. At a later hole he used it by mistake. He had started his round with 12 clubs in his bag. Is he penalised?

a) No, because he used it by mistake
b) No, because he started with less than 14 clubs
c) Yes

Answer c.

Therefore as per fairway dodger...

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Does it make a difference if the club belongs (or belonged, since it was in the bin) to a player not playing on the course?

i.e round complete or played previous day etc?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Does it make a difference if the club belongs (or belonged, since it was in the bin) to a player not playing on the course?

i.e round complete or played previous day etc?

That's the main issue, was it selected to play with in that comp, that day, by a player? I guess it would be assumed so and in the absence of further information it would be a penalty - you learn something new every day!

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interesting thread, so here's another question, playing last week, I noticed that a player in front had left wedge near a green, I picked it up and gave it back to her a couple of holes later, as I had 14 clubs in my bag, that would have have made 15, is that allowed or should I have been penalised?

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interesting thread, so here's another question, playing last week, I noticed that a player in front had left wedge near a green, I picked it up and gave it back to her a couple of holes later, as I had 14 clubs in my bag, that would have have made 15, is that allowed or should I have been penalised?

No problem with that. Decision 4-4a/8 Retrieving Another Player's Lost Club confirms it is OK and would not be a breach of Rule 4-4a.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

You're ok to pick up forgotten clubs for returning to clubhouse/owner etc even if you have 14 already (just don't use it ;) )

Edit: Dagnamit! beaten to it!

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site

No problem with that. Decision 4-4a/8 Retrieving Another Player's Lost Club confirms it is OK and would not be a breach of Rule 4-4a.
Louise- just be careful you don't do what I did. Picked up my playing partner's wedge from the fringe of the 17th green and forgot to return to him. The next day I played a match and discovered the extra club in my bag, where it counted as one of my clubs- thankfully i was only carrying 13 of my own so the extra club did not earn me a penalty

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I didn't know that, came across one a few rounds ago (in comp) and left it against a bench for someone who wasn't in comp as we both had 14. I have the rule book in my bag so probably should have checked but didn't want to unduly hold up play!

CirenBhoy

Club Champion
Visit site
Good thread. Another angle is that of adjustable clubs.

Having bought an adjustable Hybrid I wondered whether it was permissible to adjust the Angle/loft depending on what hole I was on. Turns out that you can't make adjustments to any club or what clubs you have once the round has started.