Absolute scumbags!

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Keyless entry needs to go.. keyless start fine but keyless entry just causes issues

Not getting at you, but "causes issues"?
Euphemism of the month is that?

This keyless entry situation has been about for years - and still the manufacturers won't change it.

Try getting a new car using key entry specification.

Someone here maybe will come on and tell us it is our responsibility to put the keys in a safe place, special containers etc etc..

we all know the simple answer...... Change ( return to ) the entry mode.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site

This keyless entry situation has been about for years - and still the manufacturers won't change it.

Someone here maybe will come on and tell us it is our responsibility to put the keys in a safe place, special containers etc etc..

That will solve the problem because no-one ever had a car stolen when keys were needed :rolleyes:

Also, if someone was going to steal my car, I would prefer them to take it without coming into the house to get the keys

RichA

Visit site
I struggle to understand why cars aren't sold with the keys already attached to a Faraday pouch, when they're so inexpensive.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

thing is if we have to put them in a bag or safe etc then whats the point of having keyless

if you have to get it out to open it might aswell be normal

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
thing is if we have to put them in a bag or safe etc then whats the point of having keyless

The thing with keyless is you can keep the key/fob/transmitter in your pocket/bag and just use your hand to open the car. Saves fumbling around as you get to the car

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site

Surely the pouch or box is just for safe storage when the key is in the house and unattended. If you are going out then you would just take the key and put in in your pocket or bag as normal? The issue isn't people trying to steal/extend the RF range when the key is on you, it's mainly at night when the keys are in the house and potentially unattended.

There's been a couple of car thefts round my way recently and it's been "un-intrusive" (for want of a better phrase) theft where keys have been left close to doors etc.

My car key is in a box somewhere upstairs in my house and I rarely use it as my phone acts as my key. So a thief would need to know to take my phone instead (oops! :D)

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Surely the pouch or box is just for safe storage when the key is in the house and unattended. If you are going out then you would just take the key and put in in your pocket or bag as normal? The issue isn't people trying to steal/extend the RF range when the key is on you, it's mainly at night when the keys are in the house and potentially unattended.

There's been a couple of car thefts round my way recently and it's been "un-intrusive" (for want of a better phrase) theft where keys have been left close to doors etc.

My car key is in a box somewhere upstairs in my house and I rarely use it as my phone acts as my key. So a thief would need to know to take my phone instead (oops! :D)

yeah the wife is awkward even with the bag she wanted it in her handbag..

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The thing with keyless is you can keep the key/fob/transmitter in your pocket/bag and just use your hand to open the car. Saves fumbling around as you get to the car

yes. I know that but the point is if you keep it in a bag and have to remove from the bag to do this you might aswell have a key

my keyless is rubbish its hit and miss.. always opens if you do the boot but not the door thats 50/50

keyless start on the otherhand is brilliant however i prefered when you had to put the fob in the dash or it wouldnt start ... that would stop a lot of thefts

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
yes. I know that but the point is if you keep it in a bag and have to remove from the bag to do this you might aswell have a key

my keyless is rubbish its hit and miss.. always opens if you do the boot but not the door thats 50/50

keyless start on the otherhand is brilliant however i prefered when you had to put the fob in the dash or it wouldnt start ... that would stop a lot of thefts

But if you keep the key in a drawer or on a hook you have to remove it from the drawer or hook.
The alternative or what it seems you are suggesting is to keep the key on you at all times.
The reality is that in 99.9% of cases where the key isn't in a box or pouch, it still needs to be taken from one location to be put in another (pocket or bag).

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But if you keep the key in a drawer or on a hook you have to remove it from the drawer or hook.
The alternative or what it seems you are suggesting is to keep the key on you at all times.
The reality is that in 99.9% of cases where the key isn't in a box or pouch, it still needs to be taken from one location to be put in another (pocket or bag).

like I said, ive found an easier solution , steering lock. Gives theifs a warning when they look at the car that least it will be harder than just a radio and I keep my key in my work bag on a hook so i always know where it is

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
like I said, ive found an easier solution , steering lock. Gives theifs a warning when they look at the car that least it will be harder than just a radio and I keep my key in my work bag on a hook so i always know where it is

But then I need to faff about removing the steering lock which probably takes longer than simply removing a key from a little bag or box.

One solution is not any more elegant or sensible than the other.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But then I need to faff about removing the steering lock which probably takes longer than simply removing a key from a little bag or box.

One solution is not any more elegant or sensible than the other.

see I dont mind the steering lock, and I sold to mrs (when we had the keyless that worked every time) that right you can keep your keyless entry, so when you got the kids hands full etc you can get in the car ... but when your in the car you can look for the key and undo the lock

me I just open boot, chuck in my work bag, take the keys out and then throw the lock on the floor lol

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Tried to open the cars with the keys in the bags - bit fiddly but even with the flap open they didn't send a signal to the cars - or at least it didn't get through to the cars.

Thanks Amanda; that’s what we did with ours initially and the same, wouldn’t open; however now the effect seems to be wearing off as the car can be opened with the key in the pouch ?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks Amanda; that’s what we did with ours initially and the same, wouldn’t open; however now the effect seems to be wearing off as the car can be opened with the key in the pouch ?
Sounds like you may have punctured the shield material, and the bag is leaking.
The Defender bag has 2 pockets, with only the rear one shielding the car. Stupid question, but…..;)

greenone

Visit site

You ever seen a lockpicker at work? The vast majority of locks can be picked in less than 30 seconds by someone who knows what they are doing.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
An unfortunate incident at a local driving test centre some time back..
Instructor's car was keyless entry..he's stood by the window of the waiting room with his car directly outside no more than 6 feet away.
Pupil goes out on test, stalls the car and can't get it going again...because the instructor has the "key" in his pocket...Oops ?